Graduated in 2016 with Bsc in CompSci

>graduated in 2016 with Bsc in CompSci
>fell into depression and just gave up on life
>2.8 GPA, no interships, experience or even completed projects
>take up a job in a warehouse in early 2017 after 6 months of NEETdom and been doing that for the past 2.5 years

I'm turning 26 soon and it just dawned on me now how much I fucked up my life. Is there any turning my life around at this point? I don't even know how I could begin to make my self employable.

Attached: anime noose.gif (498x275, 3.48M)

>the afterlife is anime world

Attached: 1515178428037.jpg (650x623, 50K)

neck yourself loser

this is exactly me except I graduated spring 2017 with a msc from cambridge and top grades
I fucked up interviewing early on even though I got great chances. I set my standard too high and ended up with nothing. and then as time when on my resume gap became a problem, now I'm completely burned out and depressed living in my parents basement
the way out of the hole is to do a bunch of personal projects and make a personal website and github showing off skills. I don't have the energy to do it anymore from all the effort I spent interviewing for no reward but that's the only way out. or doing another degree.

Do you have a portfolio? Certs? If not build one and think about getting some certs in your preferred field.

Would leaving the graduation date out of the resume work?

>fell into depression
depression is not real
get a job have sex and stop watching anime

>spent a lot of time making modding tools for video games
>doesn't seem like something I can really put in a portfolio
what the fuck do you even put in a portfolio, I have zero ideas
are you supposed to do commissions for other people or something?

Attached: 1557311913083.jpg (512x422, 29K)

I've done it but the problem is when they actually talk to me and ask the dates. I can hear their voice change with disappointment. when they ask me what I've been doing I lie and say I've been traveling the world, doing sort of a gap year.
I don't have any projects to show off and I'm getting worse at interviews because I'm getting rusty. the problem is I don't have motivation to stay sharp anymore because I've been burned too long.

invariably, a command line tool that does something for programmers, or a web application that does something for normies.

Holy fuck man. How does that even happen? In my country, if you have the degree in Computer Science, you are guaranteed to have a job, unless it's from a REALLY shit school or you cheated your way to a degree.
Are you one of these people, user?

literally anything. just a bunch of code and random shit will set you apart from the field in a big way.

Top tier thing you can do is create something that produced results for other people. If you have a testimonial then you're golden. If not, at least have followers on social media.
Shit you created just for practice can be included on your GitHub but it's not the best for a portfolio piece. Companies want to see results.

What country?

>I can hear their voice change with disappointment.
i doubt your story. HR people are all specifically trained not to do that.
They basically have the demeanor of a nurse when you're describing your genital warts to her.

lol loser

I am almost to my 6 month mark after finishing my CS degree and am in the same position where I might just do some shitty warehouse job or tech support job if I can't find anything else. Its just so demotivating to put in so much time and effort into applications, phone screenings, coding tests, and interviews only to end up jack shit after.

whatever man. it happened again to me last friday. "when exactly did you graduate?" "2017" ... "oh I see" (pause) ... (in a completely different and uninterested tone) "well ok then... do you have any questions for me?"
today I got an email saying I wouldn't get another interview.

At least you actually got interviews. I didn't get shit when I was still applying. What did you put on your resume other than your education and school projects?

>the way out of the hole is to do a bunch of personal projects and make a personal website and github showing off skills. I don't have the energy to do it anymore from all the effort I spent interviewing for no reward but that's the only way out. or doing another degree.
gay
set aside a day or two to just let yourself suffer and you'll be refreshed to do the work

Interviews are just checkpoints to check your current state of mind. Jobs are not real. All there is is neetdom. Start working on a project you enjoy.

Attached: image.jpg (240x240, 24K)

it's basically just education and projects, a description of my dissertation in msc and bsc, and a list of a bunch of the different stuff I studied. I wish I had even a single internship to exaggerate.
I'm also really fucking worried about references. it's going to be hard to get my profs to do it so many years later. I'm lucky that I at least have flawless grades and a brand name school though. if I didn't have that much I don't know what I'd do.
yea yea I get it. I'm a loser. everybody's told me I'm a loser for years now. I worked my ass off for years getting grades and interviewing and I've got fuck all to show for it. I know I need to keep going on but I honestly don't have energy anymore. some days I just find myself lying on the floor staring at the ceiling.

just be yourself

Keep at it user. I'm 28 and going through cs at school. It's never to late

learn how to deploy and configure opencart. you can earn decent money from retards who use wix and whatnot.

i graduated in psychology, lived on savings for a while while i tried to figure out what the fuck i wanted to do with my life, and then started learning how to code. found my first webpajeet job 6 months later and 2 years later i'm making quite decent pay.
don't give up user, you got this.

Attached: file.png (370x300, 84K)

Why aren't you applying to internships that probably pay similar to a warehouse level job? Then slingshot from the internship to an actual career?

Look at it this way, what do you have to offer the company?
You're expecting a paycheck to do what exactly?
You said so yourself that you haven't done anything related to your degree in 2 years.

internships don't hire grads, especially not grads out of school for a while. most won't even look at your resume.

Not OP but when I was looking into internships my senior year I had one recruiter ask if I was going for my masters. Once you graduate most companies will not hire you as an intern.

Bruh I don't even have a degree and I got hired to do IT shit, making over $70k (in a low cost of living area).
You need to show that you bring something to the company. Be a salesman, an advocate for your skills. What do you bring to the table?

I'm not in the programming world, why are they like that?
If anything, someone post-college would be more motivated to learn and do well.

you're probably in america. it's completely different in the rest of the world, stem degrees aren't as highly desired.

>why are they like that?
HR sees anybody unemployed as pre-screened to be a loser. if you're not working you must suck.

Just continue as if nothing much had happened. 26 isn't a huge problem, age wise.

>stem degrees aren't as highly desired
Why not? Is there just not much programming and engineering to be done? What *is* desirable then?

I wouldn't mind if every HR employee across the world was fired.
I suppose if that's the case, you have to find another road in.

>tfw 30 and still haven't had my first job
I want to die I want to die I want to die

You don't have shitty, low pay code monkey jobs in the US? Even those are competitive? You would think with a Bsc and the lowest standards in the world that would at least set you apart.
Just do that for a year then upgrade to a decent job once you have some experience. Why bother with the warehouse work?

>What *is* desirable then?
experience. always experience. but there's no country in the world where stem degrees are as valuable as america. look at how much lower wages are elsewhere.

Do you have a mental disability?

this is the norm outside America and maybe Germany

chronically lazy

Fuck that user you're not giving up.You worked for me for the last 2 years, if you give me a throwaway email you can use me as a reference.

I work in research and in addition I'm a contributor on SciPy and a few Machine learning libraries. Our institution is tied to a company that sells various software licenses. You can do a few quick contributions to our OS libraries on Github,

If you email me a few of your MS projects proving some basic competence I'll write you a letter of recommendation.

It's a weaker position that you were before, but at least you will get back into the game.

I am currently living in the UK, and wages in all jobs here are quite low compared to the US... and things cost more.
Of course experience is the #1 thing when looking for a job, but what I was asking is: what jobs are valuable in your countries. Cook? Accountant? Doctor?

These days you are competing with all of India and China for every shitty code monkey job.

>Germany
Seriously?

>some days I just find myself lying on the floor staring at the ceiling.
that's exactly what you should be doing to get it out of the way

please, a resume gap after graduating is a dogshit excuse, make up that you traveled if you have to, but if you can't get a single job the problem is literally you

I had mediocre as fuck grades, just about passing for most courses, took half a year off and jerked around on welfare, and I feel like I was getting my dick sucked at at least half the places I interviewed. Not big money, but offers all over.

sorry to break it to you buddy, but you're probably an autismo, man the fuck up

Attached: 1*Zdzvw94_IKHJ8m5G2lmTJA.jpg (225x225, 9K)

>Certs?
What are these exactly, for a CS. I thought certs were more for sys admins etc.

Not that guy but in my experience employers don't even value certs that much, they just use them as a tool to bill clients for more money. I would never spend my own money on certs.

Hobby projects are much more important to get hired, as they show not only initiative, but the ability to turn that initiative into something concrete.

I'm really tempted to take you up on that but I think I'm too big of a pussy to lie about what I did or let my real info out on Jow Forums, thank you man honestly just feeling somebody wants me to make it makes me feel a lot better. I'm almost crying actually. I know I'll get shit posting this.

>make up that you traveled if you have to
This seems like bad advice. Even saying that you had a failed start-up at least implies you've kept up your skills.

>oh cool can you send us some of your startup code

Alright, then lets not lie. If you're interested then you can do some work for me. It's a research institution tied to a mediocre university (though we work with your alma mater on some projects). I can even try to get you paid internship rates, though it's not a lot of money for UK.

My work is in a numerical science field and has envisioned applications in quantum chemistry. I'm not in a great position myself (PhD student your age with Assistant Lectureships and also looking for more full time work).

Will understand if you don't want to take the risk though. Best of luck to you either way.

Ah, well why not pull an all nighter and write some? Actually why not start your own company while you're at it, try to sell some shitty app. At least it's working towards something.

I agree with this but not the made-up startup part, anybody in this position should be making a portfolio.

Yeah, but startups have initial phases were you don't write any code. So you can just not mention the date you started and they can assume you were doing that or working in a private repository.

That's assuming to check out commit dates on your GitHub to begin with. HR is usually lazier than that in my experience. I think the bigger point is to get out of the rut. A lot of young people find success and start their own companies. It's not likely, but your chances aren't zero either.

You can make up stories about commit dates. If the code is out there you're fine.
>I had to remake the whole repo because of some bullshit reason

Yeah, but if you want to avoid lying all together then you will probably get away with not even mentioning it.

But now that I think about it, half the libraries I've developed started on a private repo and then moved to open source in the release stage after journal publication due to various IP laws and general paranoia.

If he's willing to share his own info with you and it seems legit I highly recommend taking him up on his offer.

It doesn't matter if you're lying. Being able to lie in interviews is only a means to get in the door. I exaggerate everything I've done in interviews because I'm prepared to sell it and it works every time. I know I'm willing to learn and I'm capable, so it's just a matter of convincing the employer that I can bring value.

If you can establish that you can perform what they expect of you after hiring, what does it matter? Even if you spill spaghetti, at least you tried.

Have a bit of confidence. You're nothing but a capital multiplier for these companies at the end of the day. Employers owe you no favors and vice versa. All you should care about is bettering your own ends. Your chances of honestly acquiring a position are far lower than lying. Do what's best for yourself. Take opportunity where it presents itself.

The rules we play by are that you deserve only what you acquire, so go get it.

Enroll in a local community college that offers certificates in something relevant like A+ cert or some bullshit.
Get an internship while enrolled. Get the cert, throw it on your resume, now you're a CS grad with sysadmin experience.
Look for "DevOps" gigs and ride the new meme train to $100k a year.

Or just tell the interviewer you were taking care of your sick grandmother during your gap.
Make up a story and stick to it. Most won't ask, but just have an answer prepared if they do.

What about 29

Attached: 23-29-59-1558127829332.jpg (1000x1000, 577K)

This is exactly me except
>dropped out of college
>worked shitty jobs and was a neet for years at a time
>not at 28 decide to start learning javascript

Maybe one day I'll know what it's like to live alone and have my own money

Attached: 1496993743585.jpg (597x597, 40K)

Dude. This is literally me except
>never attended college
>worked mcjobs for 2 years
>at 26 I decided to do an online Python tutorial

I know somebody in a situation

>15 year gap on resume
>debilitating health issues (incl heart and lung problems)
>had to take a seasonal position at a shit retail job because their work experience was too old to do anything but hurt them
>got hired on as permanent
>worked 3 years at shit retail job and was among the best
>applied for a temp position at a Fortune 500 company
>got in
>got hired on permanently
>got licensed in the field on the company's dime
>now making more than twice what they made at shit retail job and being groomed for management position

I'm not making any of this up. It's amazing to watch someone go from hating themself because they feel useless in the world to having a damned good job with opportunities for advancement. If they can do it you can too anons

Don't lose hope

>more than twice what they made at shit retail job
that's not a lot lol

okay..

>OMG WE'RE SO DESPERATE FOR PROGRAMMERS
>ORANGE MAN BAD FOR WANTING TO CUT H1B, WE NEED MOAR H1B
>NOT ENOUGH PROGRAMMERS...MOAR PROGRAMMERS PLEASE!
>"i'm here to apply for the job imma programmer"
>wtf is this gap in his resume?
>DON'T CALL US, WE'LL CALL YOU
Why is this a fucking meme in the world? What does a recruiter or employer care if there's a "gap" while you're looking for work? Is everyone supposed to find a job day 1 out of college or day 1 after a previous company lets you go (not for cause, just because they're closing or down scaling or some shit)?

WTF is wrong with the world?

Just make an SPA with react and a REST nodejs backend and you can easily get a webdev job. It will take a month at most

You think that's bad? Take a look at the misery in the Canada thread where immigration is high:

Whoever ruined such a beautiful gif with Chinese cartoons can eat a bag of dicks.

Attached: hqu_x4xT4Ss-x5Oo_iiPJJaLecKuZFLDMdvJhKRIiCg.gif (504x264, 2.62M)

Op.. Listen to me

I had the same path as you.. Depressed for years did nothing.. In fact I sold weed internationally at one stage .. Got caught . did years and now I'm a respected developer and started out when I was 30.. I worked my ass off to make it though. Get the depression under control.. Then work !

op here, I live in toronto

fug

That's probably why you're unemployed. It's so much fucking harder to get a job in Canada in STEM than America.

it's true, I thought I was a loser until I started interviewing in the USA and I realized how in demand I was

>msc from cambridge
you mean MA right?

Same here. I did my undergraduate in Physics at Cambridge, and did a Masters in Computer Science at Imperial. Still underemployed 2 years on doing random contract and freelance work (if I'm lucky). What uni you went to doesn't matter anymore, unless you are rich to begin with and just going to uni to eventually get that management position at daddy's investment firm.

Move to India and apply for a H1B

Will I have more of a chance if I apply to US companies?

You would have more of a chance if Canadian and U.S. politicians weren't cucked and there was a $250k per year tax on each foreign worker.

You can't find a native? This position is absolutely critical to your survival? Well then you won't mind the tax, will you?

tn visa is free

BS kys larper

Aren't you people suppose to be against taxes?

Posts like this are a small light in my dark world. I'm 23 and severely depressed and I see my life is going nowhere fast, I feel hopeless and in despair most of the time.

I really want to work, I just don't know how I get to that point.

At least you finished your degree I dropped out and have been working security for 3 years now I regret it everyday I walk into my shitty work. Just say you were freelancing and get some stuff on github.

Never give up.. Try to go back to uni. Find some thing you enjoy. That was my post. I'm still living the dream now after many years being lost

Volunteer at the library and do seasonal work if at all possible for the company you want to work for.

Learn a frontend framework like Vue or React.

Makes sense. Employers would rather bring in experienced applicants from India for entry level jobs than take a chance on kids fresh out of college. So to get a job in America, you just have to step on pajeet's turf and bring it.

>Been in school for eight years
>Nothing to show for it but underwater basketweaving associate's degrees
>Running out of money
>But I'd still like to get a professional degree

kek

I dropped out of college and worked at best buy until I was 24, then got a shitty night shift first tier network security response job for another 2 years. While doing that I taught myself Linux admin and python scripting and got a promotion to sysadmin. Learned the cloud while doing that and now I'm a tier three aws support engineer for a big company making over $100k at 28. It's never too late, you just gotta fight for what you want and never settle.

Why would you do that? Those languages are extremely over-saturated with Indians.

*as long as you live in america

There's something screwed up about programmer hiring, maybe the disconnect between technical aspects and HR, compounded by the spergery of both programmers already at the company and the potential hire.

I'm in he same position but what can I do except keep writing projects? My portfolio isn't going away so everything I do brings me closer, that's about all I can think. I am disappointed I spent so much time applying and interviewing though when I could've been coding.

have sex

Based Trump

Attached: 326-3261848_318kib-1053x1080-1529863334520-dabbing-pepe.jpg (820x976, 142K)

got a masters in math 2 years ago and I work at a warehouse lmao somebody just end my life

>overcame depression over the span of a decade
>got a bachelors in cyber security with 3.8 gpa
>secured a full time job 1 week after graduation
>making more than enough money to live extremely comfortably in a low cost of living town
It's never too late to fix your life OP

you need to pay for certs tho

With schools, they'll give you vouchers. If not, they'll reimburse you if you pass or some deal like that. At least, that was my experience.