How does this even make sense?

How does this even make sense?
I only have one firefox window open, with only one tab. Why are there 6 different processes running and taking up so much memory?

Attached: Capture.png (857x630, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1217583
ghacks.net/2019/05/17/going-forward-multi-process-cant-be-turned-off-anymore-in-firefox/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Microsoft offloads it's backdoor NSA telemetry to 3rd party apps whenever possible.

reddit is mining with your pc, retard

It does the same with just this thread open.

I have ublock orgin and ghostery running if that makes a difference.

Attached: Capture2.png (1012x1079, 164K)

>1.7gb of ram
>3% cpu time
>single idling page
Who could have known that wasting context switches and same library loading on across multiple processes would be worse than a single process with multiple threads (like ESR v52).
You can thank nu-Mozilla and their "diverse & inclusive" programmers for all of that.
Oh, and don't forget to be thankful for no XUL, complete addon disabling whenever they please and the broken inter-browser WebExtension """standard""".

i'm a brainlet and i also want o know why this is happening

Attached: me00.jpg (763x433, 77K)

OMG they are using GPU power aswell... what could this be hm

What the fuck.

Attached: Screenshot_20190520_184349.png (253x320, 31K)

>OP is a win10 r*dditor
>this thread has more than 0 replies
The absolute state of Jow Forums. Shouldn't have came back.

Attached: 1545351699200.jpg (700x479, 42K)

don't be mean enlighten me

That's all the different threads being used by your cpu to split that process

support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1217583

in about:config

browser.tabs.remote.autostart *set it to false
browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2 *set to false
dom.ipc.processCount *set to 1

so i got 4 threads in hardware but i can have 50 threads in software open and waiting for processing?

Those are sub threads.
It's dynamic threading, allows your cpus velocidensity to handle multiple processes more efficiently.

>one tab means one process
has Jow Forums always been this dumb..

we have to learn somewhere

thank you
you are good person and a fren
i will not bother you with more questions

Sir please do the needful and restart internet browser

>r*ddit
>Nvidia spyware

Attached: soyverload.gif (280x158, 904K)

Where have you been that you do not know that all those settings are going away in the next couple of versions?
ghacks.net/2019/05/17/going-forward-multi-process-cant-be-turned-off-anymore-in-firefox/
Now, please write
>Thank you nu-Mozilla!
to please the "diverse" programmers in charge of these "wonderful" changes.

if your post is directed to me i can't because i'm on /cow/ cyclical and every post is precious

nice bait

ITT: the people are waking up

At any given moment you have hundreds of threads waiting in a conga line to be processed.
Each thread gets some time with the CPU, then fucks off and the next one is up. He can either be finished, or interrupted and put back in the queue. Threads have priorities so the CPU knows which threads gets more sexy time.
4 cores means 4 threads at the same time, but even with one core the switching is lightning fast so you don't notice it. Just note that the OS, crons and all of your programs can run without problems on the same core. If you want to know more look up some HPC courses online, or read "An introduction to parallel programming"

thank you
much obliged

>I have ublock orgin and ghostery running if that makes a difference.
It does, big time!
Disable your plug-ins and try again.

>wasting context switches and same library loading on across multiple processes would be worse than a single process with multiple threads
to be fair, you want to spin up a separate process for things that might crash and you have no control over, that way the child process crashing doesn't bring down the whole browser
for example, you'd want this for bare-metal plugins like flash or third-party video codecs
those becoming less and less common (as user-installed components and thus uncertain stability), the need for separate sandbox processes is also waning
the other use case is if your own code (ie the browser) is just buggy as shit and you can't be sure it won't crash on its own

What the actual fuck, even chrome lets you set it so tabs don't auto-load unless clicked on

This is the most efficient tab related change you can have, how can they be this fucking incompotent and just remove it? Will an extension be able to bring that functionality back at least?

I'm using webrender

based user

Firefox does multiprocessing differently. There's a fixed pool of processes that render tabs no matter how many you use. Chrome just does raw process per tab. This means at 400+ tabs, Firefox is still using less than ten processes, but Chrome is at 400+.

Yeah I was thinking of something else here, the whole not auto-loading all tabs but only loading tabs selectively as they are clicked so that when you open the browser its faster, thats a seperate thing from tabs using multiple processes though.

That's called tab sleeping and Firefox has done it by default for like ten years.

Clearly not cause I have to use an extension for it

When I load a tab group only the tab I'm on and click on load, not all at once which slows everything to a crawl, which is how it works without it. Also need the same extension for pinned tabs as well.