Pinebook pro

Has the potential for a nice minimal daily driver, will you be buying one when it comes out?

pine64.org/pinebook-pro/

Attached: pinebook-pro-laptop.jpg (1200x828, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/student-chromebooks/Lenovo-14e-Chromebook/p/88ELC1S9991
pine64.org/pinebook-pro/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

muttbook pro

Looks worse than the cheapest Acer

>Rockchip RK3399 SOC with Mali T860 MP4 GPU
>4GB LPDDR4 RAM
>64GB of eMMC (Upgradable)

with those "amazing" specs i hope it costs less than 200USD

Its gonna cost like 2k isnt it..

No, it's dumb. Slow 28nm outdated SoC, stupid overpriced "magnesium" body, shitty budget IPS that will probably suck more than a TN panel.

The 11" is like $99. The expensive part in the production of this one will be the tooling for the chassis. Wonder who makes it.

For the money i'm a little tempted to buy one to fuck around with

This all is good but it's still less powerful than most smart phones.

price is 199USD apparently

Fucking sad, so all its good for is writing scripts and watching youtube videos? lol

How long is the battery life. The motherboard and I/O shit shouldn't take up much space at all. How much of that left over space are they going to fill with battery? How much power is the screen going to pull?

I'd be interested in something like this, in a 12.5" form factor. A massive internal battery and an extended additional battery. With a screen that didn't sap battery power. Something that could be charged and last several days on a single charge.

Until that point, I'm not interested.

no trackpoint tho

You're absolutely better off buying a used memepad for the same price or less.

No. I'm buying this instead.

lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/student-chromebooks/Lenovo-14e-Chromebook/p/88ELC1S9991

Battery is 10000mah

battery is 10,000 mAh. Should be pretty good especially with low power specs

>pine64.org/pinebook-pro/
this looks like a huge piece of shit. i want it.

>a series
you gone be dissapointed user

It's got an ARM CPU and a 10k mah battery. It'll be fine. It's also got USB power delivery so you can keep it alive with a power bank too.

Fine enough for running arch/dwm responsively?

>Slow 28nm outdated SoC
show me a better arm soc in a cheap laptop

magnesium isn't that expensive, user.
it's about $2 per pound and it's 33% lighter than aluminum.

Good thing I saw this thread.

I almost ordered a 11in. Pinebook the other day and left the link bookmarked.

>no vulkan
>no support for arch

Attached: 1551061068371.jpg (667x659, 77K)

I have the 11 inch regular version (1080p screen). It works well as a remote desktop thin client, but the trackpad and keyboard both suck.

how do you have it already what the fuck
its not out yet

11 inch regular version, get your eyes checked senpai. The 100 dollar regular pinebook. The non-pro pinebook. The pinebook poor.

I know it's not incredibly expensive but to me this all seems like unnecessary spending. Alu+Plastic would have been just fine, especially when you're selling budget laptop, same goes for the screen, i like IPS but cheap IPS panels suck, terrible contrast, usually not more accurate than okay TN panels and of course tons of IPS glow + light bleed.

Also worth mentioning that it's got the same 10MAh battery they use in their cheaper (99$) model. I guess it's not for me.

You're right, i can't find something but i don't think that necessarily means they couldn't have used something better? That chip is not only built on a super outdated process it's also using very old ARM cores (A72). Basically i don't like this.

unless you want something to tinker with, none of the pinebooks even the pinebook poor are worth the price

I just want an actually powerful and MODERN arm device(not some decade old cortex shit) that supports Arch linux and supports vulkan that isn't a fucking phone.

Attached: 1557286222253.gif (342x192, 1.98M)

3 A76 Cores @ 3GHz
3 A55 Cores @ 2.2GHz
a Mali GPU that isn't the bare minimum you can get so something like a Mali G76 with 6 to 10 cores.

All that on a mature process like GloFo's 12nm LP.

Heh, I didn't think you'd be able to find anything. The rk3399 is the goto poorfag soc. Honestly, just be glad that it wasn't stuck with a53 cores. If you want something better you'll have to wait for a poorfag soc company like rockchip or allwinner to release something more up to date, or go with a more expensive qualcomm laptop.

I have no knowledge on this matter but shouldn't a company like Allwinner and Rockchip have a relative easy time making new SoCs if all they do is copy-paste ARM cores into their SoC, i know they still have to do some optimizations depending on what foundry and node they go with but that shouldn't be that hard right?

I've honestly never found a trackpad I liked other than the old clicky MacBook ones while using macOS. Everything else is a disappointment once you've used those. Microsoft's official hardware comes closest. I just assume I'm going to need a mouse for everything else

Attached: e6a1794f5dedc36addddc53832018ee5.jpg (1280x1920, 243K)

>Mac

ok back to r*ddit you go.

14nm and a76 cores still aren't cheap enough

Understood but i wouldn't feel bad about spending 249$ on a laptop with those specs.

got any ballpark numbers

fpbp

On Linux most touch pads can be turned in Mac-like ones feel wise. Except thinkpad ones, they are trash
On Windows shit is difficult.

I think you might be disappointed. The original Pinebook with its shitty A53 low power cores could only do 6 hours.

I have a hard time believing that. Were you running linux with tlp configured and sane brightness settings?

Dude my i7 X1 runs at ~4W under load and gets 10+ hours of battery life.

Intel DEMOLISHES any of these shit arm laptops. It isn't even a contest.

Attached: lolbattery.png (2560x1440, 714K)

Battery size on your model? That i7 on 14nm?

>4W under load

Performance can't be good if it's configured to max out at 4watt TDP.

>Keyboard integrated into palmrest

1% load
:)

I dunno how big the battery is.
Guarantee this thing trashes any arm laptop in both battery life and performance though.

Attached: wew.png (1280x710, 335K)

G71/G72 MP12 or bust really. Qualcomm Adreno alternatives may apply

That's pretty much it, small ARM cores wont be faster than big X86 cores but they can definitely be less power hungry, just the Pinebook is using and old poopoo 40nm SoC and has a tiny battery.

Dude ARM laptops' power usage was exciting when they were like zomg 3W SoC and 7W laptop usage!

Then Intel was like lmfao hold my beer and we have literal desktop replacements running on 4W. There is no realistic or reasonable expectation of any kind of ARM laptop getting anywhere close to Intel.

An i7 (not meme one) running at it's boost all core frequency will consume more than 25 Watts no matter what. I think the Pinecone piece of shit is a bad example of what ARM SoC's can do because its garbage in every way. Smartphones using way faster SoC's get more battery life with 4000MAh sized batteries.

Not with Linux and gpu acceleration in the APU.

It's a rugged, daily driver, media consuming and streaming device made to shit post. Fanless with all day battery and plenty of power to run android apps on a 14 inch screen thay will get side loaded in later updates.

Seems like your X1 has a 15000MAh battery(57Wh).

>~4W under load

How is that possible when CPU alone has 25W TDP under full load?

That's actually quite high draw for idle, check if CPU is even entering higher C states with something like throttle stop.

Probably just shitty linux drivers like always.

If they release a smaller version like with the Pinebook. Mine arrived last week and it's good for the price and amazing battery life.

Got mine down to only 90% in an hour while configuring it and webbrowsing.

what os?

KDE neon.

can it play 1080p60fps videos without stuttering and melting down?
if not then it goes straight to the garbage

it's basically just the rockpro64 turned into a laptop, so you can look up info on that

It will have hardware acceleration, so yes.

It's not your $25 ebay special thinkpad, will do that without problem.

>no support for arch
Well manjaro supports it.

It won't. The shit dooming the pinebook pro is the same shit dooming every cheap laptop out there. If you want to have a decent screen, a case that doesn't fold in half and a keyboard that doesn't transmit aids along with a touchpad that actually works, that even designing a laptop to be $50 more expensive will net you far, far better specs.
If you're spending $120 on all the shit other than the core specs and want 10% of the sales price to be profit, then going from $200 to $250 is enough to make the internals increase in value from $60 to $105

>chicklet keyboard
Fuck no.

Just say 10Ah. Or 1 dA

I really want one but I'm not sure at what point the specs wouldnt be powerful enough.

>listing battery size in ah instead of wh

You don't mAh when talking about laptop batteries, that's retarded