Any of you guys have a mini ITX build?

Any of you guys have a mini ITX build?

Are there any downsides, aside from the obvious (internal space, heat, etc.)? Other tips?

Attached: fractal-design.png (650x380, 138K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/7TRnP3
pcpartpicker.com/list/ztMy6s
pcpartpicker.com/list/MtxVxG
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm designing my own, ITX is comfy.

seriously. Just get a console.

>only 2 ram slots
>the smaller you go, the less hard disk space you can put in

Micro atx no more no less

It's not as small as you think, its footprint still as large as small mATX case.

Micro atx is better bc you can fit a gpu

2 slots can fit 32gb, more than enough for now. if you need more a small pc is a awful choice.
Just use a nas. a m-itx board has more than enough stata ports for normal use.

I planned on putting 32 GB in it, so that should have me covered for a few years.

My large ITX case (server) is almost as big as my small mATX case (current main PC), so I guess it's kind of a tossup between the two form factors.

I have that exact case. It can technically fit a fullsize GPU but that requires you to use a fully modular SFX PSU. I use a full ATX with a mini card instead. Heat isn't really an issue but space management is a hassle since PSU cables are long and take up lots of space. The main issue I have with my system right now is that I only have 4 sata ports but that's not the biggest deal in the world.

7700k/4.8ghz
1070 strix OC'd a little
16gb 3000mhz ddr4
1tb samsung 860 for games
480gb patriot for boot/loose files
CX750m Corsair

Cpu fan runs at 1200-1400rpm, case fans run at 1000-1100rpm. Cpu hits 75C at normal use load, 78C-79C on a stress test. Gpu stays around 45-65C, absolutely silent. No spinning hard drives, and quiet PSU fan. So the build is super silent, and does all my shit at 2560x1080 @75hz fine.

Attached: IMG_0922.jpg (3024x4032, 2.44M)

Even most ITX cases seem too bulky for my liking. The sweet spot would be something like the old Alienware Alphas (except with the ability to upgrade down the line)

why a cx750m for such an expensive system? you're banking over $1000 on a product built with chinese components and low efficiency (bronze).

>>the smaller you go, the less hard disk space you can put in
If you're at the point where you're building a meme tiny gaming pc you should have a NAS

It was a while back when I bought it, it was one of the only semi decent PSU's at Fry's and I can't remember why I couldn't wait for one online. Anyways, it's been fine. I'm riding this build out for a while and then doing a new build in a year or two.

I'm not saying it's bad but corsair's CX series was designed for business/office use. That is, lower power draw than what you'd see from a gaming system. That's why corsair has a PSU lineup for gayman. I personally got rid of my CX series to put in an 80+ gold with all jap components because I just don't want to risk anything since the last time I had a PSU failure, it took my GPU and mobo with it.

put a1080ti and a 2700x inside a Dan Case A4
using a LP noctua cooler for the CPU and a blower style 1080ti, almost never see temps above 70c on either. if you got the extra funds go for it.

You can cram at least 4 HDD's or 8 SSD's in that Fractal case. Also quiet as shit.

Running a 7700K, 32GB RAM, 2 X 2TB SSD's, GF 1060 in the same case for my living room PC. Dead quiet even during full load.

A300 mini-STX HTPC.
Cost $300. I have zero complaints given its use case. Just don't expect to play AAA gaming titles on it.

It can become limiting. I'm being bottlenecked by my SATA controller but since I've only got one PCIe slot and that's going to be taken by a GPU I need to upgrade my motherboard

The fuck do you need so much space for you dumb faggot?

Reporting in, Cooler Master elite 130.

Love it, has lots of space despite its size. It can fit a 120mm radiator as well so that's a plus. Also has surprisingly a lot of room for drives. Can fit 3 3.5 in drives if you don't use a radiator or 4 2.5 inch drives with one. Cables can be tricky to manage, but for me it was a fun challenge. 10/10 would recommend.

Got a NCASE M1 currently with a shitty ASUS H67 mobo and i7-2600 along with a Vega 56 with a Morpheus II cooler installed, hopefully Asrock releases a X570 mini-ITX board so I can jam a 16-core Zen 2 into it
My aim for the build was silence > performance > physical footprint while not using water cooling
CPU has fine temps considering it has a Noctua U9S, though I'm gonna throw a Silver Arrow 130 (hopefully with a Noctua A12x25 fan) onto the Zen 2 CPU, something that I can't do with my current mobo due to location of CPU
>downsides
Internal space isn't an issue for me since I have a gluster storage for general data, though I can see only having two 2.5" slots being a deal-breaker for some people
The H67 mobo is a piece of shit with wi-fi ports on the left side of the I/O panel and onboard DVI and VGA, which made the mobo impossible to install with the I/O shield properly seated. I doubt you'd have issues installing any recent ITX mobo but I do advise caution if wi-fi ports are on the left side of the I/O panel
GPU temps are currently garbage (on top of having power limit in Wattman set to -20%) due to airflow exhausting through the bottom of the case and only having 10mm clearance. Need to buy third-party case feet for a stupid amount just to elevate the clearance to 26mm - also need to purchase different thermal paste (Corsair TM30? or any other low viscosity paste) as I've read after-the-fact that Kryonaut is terrible for unmolded Vegas. I would love to run this Vega at power limit 0% and not have core temp in the mid-70C while throttling down to ~1300mhz average, but I'm not really expecting anything better than -10% power limit
>other tips
Do as much research as you can with what you want to build. CPU cooler height restrictions, GPU height, width and length and even height of RAM are all very important and you need to make sure everything fits

Yes.
Inside is:
1700x @4GHz
GTX 1080
32GB RAM 2400MHz
1TB SATA SSD
1TB HDD
128GB NVMe SSD
600W SFX
Noctua NH-D15

I am very happy with the system I put together. Depending on how small you go, heat doesn't have to be an issue. My CPU typically gets to between 55c and 60c under load. GPU gets to 72c. You can also fit a fair bit of stuff in a small space if you get creative. For example in my build the CPU heat sink blocked the normal drive mounts, so I attached the drives to the front of the case with double sided tape. A slight issue is that it tends to collect more dust as I don't have as fine dust filters. One of the biggest complaint I think with SFF builds is that it makes maintenance more difficult (It takes 14 screws to open my case to pic related). The other thing is prior to putting together a system, you will need to be much more thorough about measuring dimensions. Especially if you're planning on going outside of recommended case guidelines like I did. Overall, I'd say that going SFF isn't too bad as long as you do some planning first.

Attached: 20190210_115232_HDR.jpg (4160x3120, 1.27M)

im trying to find for months a reasonable priced carbide air 240
still nothing

I use that exact case but in white as my home server. You can get 6 full size HDDs in there. I only have 4 right now. That case actually gets great airflow if you make sure all the sides have clearance and it's not sitting on carpet. If you're trying to put a full size GPU you might run into space issues. With a big HSF you might run into problems getting everything to fit

Anything smaller than mATX is a meme bro

Its 2019 faggot, half of my liked youtube videos is deleted
Old movies that are ample during 2005 isnt now available

Start hoarding now

pcpartpicker.com/list/7TRnP3
good luck, my build

Attached: 4197dJCAlNL.jpg (500x375, 22K)

OP here. Thanks for the ideas, guys. A lot of you have builds similar to what I was thinking of.

Here's the current plan:
Case in OP pic or something similar
2700X or whatever new thing AMD releases
32GB RAM
M.2 boot disk
2TB secondary 3.5" disk from old PC
(maybe 2 if they'll fit)
CS750M PSU from old PC
biggest fucking CPU cooler I can fit
1660Ti or maybe 2070 if there's leftover money

I haven't measured everything yet to make sure it'll fit, so this is all subject to change. The PC won't move much, so if this is a shit plan, I'll just scrap it & go mATX.

Thoughts?

you don't need to buy a cpu cooler as AMD stock coolers are excellent. you should be waiting to see what AMD is releasing since their new architecture is coming out this year

Make sure you get a mobo that uses a molex power pin instead of those barrel connectors.
Also it helps to have a mitx case that supports a full sized ATX PSU since it's cheaper.

Samsung make 32gb dimms now, lot of the newer boards will take 64gb ram with only two slots, dont know if the 4x slot boards would take 128gb ram though.

Yep, definitely planning on waiting. Was thinking about one of those aftermarket quiet coolers, but I'm not sure if heat will be an issue. Sound is a bigger concern than size on the build.

Good point. My current PSU is ATX, and it'll fit in that Fractal case with a graphics card.

Fractal Design Define Mini C
- has spaec
- can hide cables
- doesnt take half your desk
- decent price
- mATX board
What's not to like?

Attached: 150072-p286470.jpg (570x600, 80K)

SilverStone is god.
Drive Space is limited.
some cases come without front fans. larger fans may affect your 3.5 slot. double check everything if you need a 3.5.

Get a board with wifi cuz u dont have spare PCI-e slots.

Cracker of an idea, small form factor builds are.
My build:
Ryzen 2700
32gb
1tb m.2
2 256gb ssds
fractal design node 202 case

Gotta be super careful with part sizing in small form factor, and i mean really careful. Even most small form factor fans won't fit this case. Would recommend the low form factor noctua fans

Attached: photo_2019-05-21_02-52-52.jpg (960x1280, 110K)

Is this what we do now? Anyway: NCase M1 for Mini ITX, Cerberus for Micro ATX. Easiest options for SFF. The Define Nano S that people are posting is fucking huge for an ITX only case and isn't worth it.

Attached: a.jpg (1123x925, 283K)

Affordable mini ITX am4 motherboards when

That looks sleek.

Motherboards are way overpriced
And you can never build a truly top tier computer

I have good old mid-tower case, but I think the best way is a m-ATK case. Unless you're a hoarder with 6 HDD or something.

What case is this?

ITX suits my purposes, i'm sure there are people who need big builds for their purposes but for me a single GPU is enough.

Look at all this wasted space.

Attached: IMG_20181107_211718-01.jpg (2000x1494, 1.18M)

Yep, literally upgrading my pc rn
>NZXT H200
>8700k
>some MSI Z390 board
>16gb DDR4
>be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Looks comfy, temps are cool

What case?

Raijintek Metis Plus. They come in a ton of different colors. Great case.

I have that exact case. It's shit. If you populate the bays there's zero airflow and no space for cables. Fans are controlled manually by a switch in the back of the case, so you better like the setting you have or be prepared to get up and walk to it to change fan speed. PSU is weirdly placed in the front of the case so yet another wasted space for a cable that runs from the PSU to the back of the case.
I use it now with just one SSD and a fanless celeron board, but I would rather have an NUC.

I have a Ryzen 1700 in a DAN A4.
pros: saves space. looks sleek.
cons: pay more. only two RAM slots. needs a bit of fiddling to set up. no noise dampening.
heat is no issue.

*quad ram's in your path*

Attached: Supermicro-M11SDV-8C-LN4F-Overview.jpg (800x643, 213K)

I have three 2.5" and one 3.5" drives in my SG13

>4TB SSDs exist now
>b-but muh space
k

Have 2
>Server:
Asrock rack E3C226
Xeon 1230 v3
16 GB ECC 1600Mhz
5x4TB ZFS
Lian li Q08B

>Main
MSI Z170 itx
i5 6600K
16GB HyperX 1866
GTX1080 FE
500 m2 + 500 GB Sata 3 SSDs
Cougar QBX

Comfy af

I cant help but notice that there aren't any mini ITX motherboards that use SO-DIMM memory slots instead of regular DIMM slots. Considering mitX is a small form factor I find it weird they're not used. Is there a reason why?

>Hotter
>Only two ram slots
>Only 1 PCIE slot

But it should be sufficient for 90% of the people.
Only neckbeards with local raid servers for their animes and mountain dew gaymen with sli and crossfire setups will find them inconvenient.

I built mini it’s thinking it’d be better for moving and saving space.

It’s not. It’s louder with little cable mgmt and bad thermals.

Get a laptop or just go micro atx.

Downloading and storing is more environmentally friendly than streaming multiple times, and obtaining it through physical media (Such as blu ray) is even better still.

I have a mini ITX build but I'm moving away from it since I need more PCI slots for using KVM and VFIO on Linux to virtualize my gaymen OS.

Yep. I build a NAS with mini-ITX. Installing it was a bitch because the quadruple drive bay was very close to the mobo. Very happy with the results, though.

>Hoarding archivable data on internal storage like a pleb

Biggest downside for me so far was the money.
PSU, case and motherboard are more expensive.
You end up paying more for less.

Attached: grid.jpg (2468x2160, 2M)

Shit you guys must have tiny fingers to fuck around with them cords in so small a space. Fuck these tiny cases

Pathetic

Nope, go for it.

>Micro atx is better bc you can fit a gpu
Got a 970 in mine

Attached: A13wBnbkhSL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 605K)

If you go mini itx then it really should be a sub 5L build, since otherwise there's no real point and you might as well go matx.

This also just got announced. 28 core xeon board.

Attached: Asrock_EPC621D4I-2M-view_1-740x456.jpg (740x456, 54K)

It's 2019, who fucking cares about HDD space?

People who either:
A) Like owning things instead of renting
B) Are aware of their carbon footprint

Before I'll post the final zen2 version (cpu and motherboards are placeholders) of this in PCBG:
pcpartpicker.com/list/ztMy6s

What do you think about my planned build, fellow sff builders?

Some Chinese boards and "real" sff ones for older intel chipset use laptop memory.

Any small matx cases that'll accommodate mitx and many HDDs?

Attached: 32bb392c927905d83d99956008d0b2f7.jpg (1032x1603, 159K)

Yeah but holy shit, that setup is dope

How many is many? 6? 10? 3.5" or 2.5"

It's a trainwreck.

OP here - glad so many of you guys are SFF fans. Any opinions on my pre-Zen 2 build?

pcpartpicker.com/list/MtxVxG

I currently don't do any PC gaming, but it would be nice to be able to play some older titles in FHD/2K.

>Are there any downsides, aside from tons of them?

If you're going to use a big tower cooler like that grab Core 500 instead of the Node 304. Basically the same case but the Core 500 has better airflow.

hdd>=3 x 3.5"

Why?

I have this case and it's perfect for a non huge build. Not exactly tiny though is it?

>he doesn't have a NAS

The case is up for debate. As long as it can fit my PSU + an 11" graphics card, anything goes. Doesn't necessarily need to be the Node 304 - it just looks cool.

CoolerMaster Elite 130 is cheap & has space for 3x 3.5" + 1 SSD. It's on the large size for an ITX case, but I use it for my server.

Ok, noted.

Building the best itx machine I can get my hands on
Ncase m1
Zen 2
32gb 3600 (‘4000’) memory
2 1tb evo 970 plus
2080ti
Kraken x52
Bunch of noctua fans

I have everything I’m just waiting on zen2. I’m concerned with thermals, but the problem is king of intrinsically exciting, I’ll probably have to do a lot of tweaking to get it good

Just do the acceclero mod and your Gucci on temps.

Attached: 1547845845233.jpg (2304x1728, 569K)

What PSU are you gonna use to power that beast?

Corsair SF600 would probably work fine, if not the Evga GM650. If you want a lot of head room the SF750 powers even SLI builds easy.

I have an SF750 in it now

I'm not against this, I want to make sure my coard isn't DOA and it seems to be working fine before deshrouding it.

It seemed like everyone on [H] and Jow Forumssffpc leaned into getting a three slot card and sticking A12x15s under the card. I bought an extra set of A12x25s though in case I ended up doing a mod like this that would allow for the extra toom.

Are you running a 2080ti? What are your temps like under load, and did you need to undervolt to get there?

Your card sits at 211mm long, do you think you could fit a 270mm long card in here?

>get a console
>implying pc is just for gaymen

Attached: c69.jpg (680x873, 121K)

I have an ncase m1. I like it a lot over my previous setup. Much smaller, way less space. Next move is to get an under desk mount and eventually mount it directly under my desk out of the way. The only downside to me was the components are more expensive due to niche size.

Had a skyreach 4 mini for a year, but went back to a mid tower. I couldn't keep it cool enough and the need arose for more PCI stuff.

Nah Evga 1080ti SC. Not sure how much hotter the 2080ti runs. Unfortunately I don't have numbers because I actually sold my Ncase and swapped to a Ghost S1. In my Ncase my card ran much cooler and was inaudible using A12x25. I'm not sure how a deshrouded 3 slot card with A12x15 runs compared to an Accelero III with A12x25 in terms of temos, but I imagine the Accelero will be quieter from the superior acoustics of the Sterrox fans if that matters to you. I ran the fans in Exhaust while in the Ncase.

Pic related is how I run my card now because I can't stand the fans on stock Gpu coolers. Unfortunately it's only A9x14 fans. Not even close to how good the A12x25 are.

Do you already own the Ncase? I'm actually waiting for the V6 to drop since Necere posted the new vented side panels.

Attached: 1552936800784720.jpg (2304x1728, 466K)

Pic of V6 panels Necere posted

Attached: proxy.png (1920x1080, 45K)

just get a brain, moran

bottom fans are fucking retarded

Fractal Nano S I think

Are they going to be backwards compatible?