RISC-V

Do you think they're going to be relevant 10 years from now?

Attached: riscv.jpg (900x900, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fadu.io/
0pf.org/j-core.html
github.com/lisper/cpus-caddr
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes

Thanks.

I hope so

in many, lots of things
but Desktop Pc

we should crowfund but its not going to happen

we should crowfund a riscV architecture for SBCs like raspberry

No.
This is like the Rust programming language. No one uses it but they promotes it hard :DDDD

probably in internet of shit and other ultra-low-power embedded botnet enablers, maybe there will be an SBC or two if we’re lucky, but nothing exciting.

Yeah. We'll have RISC-V routers, "prosumer" SBCs like the RasPi, and phones. It is unclear whether it will dominate any of these markets. It will probably dominate the market for tiny embedded CPUs, like the stuff in hard drives, etc.

almost certainly in some form.

That's a lie Nvidia is starting to use it as well as others. Companies are trying to get out of royalties because cpu making is already expensive enough. And now with x86 being worthless there's never been a better time to switch

Andes Tech is ALREADY selling billions every year.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is already a RISC-V member. Interestingly enough, Broadcom is not. So RPi 4 might have a RISC-V (co?) processor or two.

I wouldn't expect it so soon. The numbered RPi will probably remain ARM for now. If they launch a RISC-V board, it will be called Raspberry Pi $Foo, like the RPi Zero now.

Yes. Risc-V is fucking amazing.

>fucking amazing
In what way?

Can anyone recommend me some other cool open source processors

We're already getting an SSD with it
fadu.io/

Apparently MIPS is going open now, so there's that.

Oh nice, I learned a bit of MIPS in a computer organization class at uni. I'll look into that.

Have they announced the license yet? At first it seemed like they were going to call it "open", but release it with restrictions.

Yeah, not sure if this is open as in RISC-V open or open as in """OpenPOWER"""

The latest versions aren't really open, you need to pass some bullshit certification to use them. The patents for the early versions are all expired though, so they're actually open.

>this bullshit again
A few thousand dollars in royalties is fuck all to a multi-billion dollar company, especially compared to the time and money they’d waste retooling and retraining for a primitive vaporware architecture with no practical advantages over existing solutions.

You can't design anything retard-proof, there's always one that outretards the rest

RPi 4 is expected next year and at a smaller process node than the present 40 nm. That will provide space for a larger VideoCore to support 4K resolution and a 4 or 8 core ARM. That still leaves room for an experimental 1 - 4 core RISC-V co-processor, which is useful for real time work. TI has a similar solution.

You can find the source for a lot of 6502 variations and a really community. Check out OpenCores.

There are open source SuperH cores. You may know SuperH from the Sega Saturn and the Dreamcast.
0pf.org/j-core.html

MIT CADR, the original Lisp machine: github.com/lisper/cpus-caddr

RISC-berry φ

What happened to S-Core? It was expected in 2015.

I am not sure about the S-Core, but I think I saw a post saying that, basically, they were so busy selling services based on these cores to enterprises they didn't have the time to complete an open source version of the J4.