Where did it go so right, Jow Forums?

Where did it go so right, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1200px-Vimlogo.svg.png (1200x1202, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hackaday.com/2019/04/01/bye-bye-vi-gnu-linux-distros-drop-support/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

that comfy af feel when Vim is basically on any computer you could ssh

Why did you create this thread again?

emac user detected

# guys how to exit ? joke

This is how I know you only use pleb OSes. Vim only comes standard on the common GNU/Linux distros and nowhere else.

b8

Check out this funny article: hackaday.com/2019/04/01/bye-bye-vi-gnu-linux-distros-drop-support/

>hackaday.com/2019/04/01/bye-bye-vi-gnu-linux-distros-drop-support/
>It literally just says it wont be shipped with certain distributions

why would this stop any non-brainlet from using it anyway? Did you even read the article?

>>hackaday.com/2019/04/01/bye-bye-vi-gnu-linux-distros-drop-support/
>/2019/04/01/

>hackaday.com/2019/04/01/bye-bye-vi-gnu-linux-distros-drop-support/
oh well

God I hate this fucking meme.
No, Vim is not what is nearly universally available in Unix-like systems. That's Vi you're talking about, which also originally introduced its keybindings (the only thing people and numales who use it as a glorified notepad because of the name and just to look hackurz genuinely like about Vim).
Besides, there is something to be said even about such core functionality: modal editing is really just a technical limitation of the past, where modifier keys were absent, scarce or awkwardly placed. Pic related is the original keyboard used with Vi: no meta and super keys, a single, awkwardly placed ctrl (no, that's not the "original position", older keyboards still had a caps lock there, including even typewriters), but a more comfortable esc key (useful to exit modes).
With properly mapped modifier keys (think about the Space Cadet and Symbolics keyboard), non-modal editing is better: it is objectively more efficient (you press less keys overall) and just as comfortable _if your modifiers are well-placed_.
Now, pay attention: I'm not saying "default Emacs bindings > default Vi bindings". What I'm saying is non-modal > modal.
Personally, I use Emacs with custom, non-modal bindings, with motion commands close together. I can hit both ctrl and alt comfortably with my thumbs, having swapped left ctrl and left alt, so there no awkward stretches: switching mode in practice means just letting my thumb rest.
For the times when I want a small, lightweight editor for quick edits or when I'm on a remote machine, GNU nano is my editor of choice: its non-modal bindings are close to the default Emacs bindings, and it provides a lot of handy features for being so small. Plus, it's also widely available on many systems (although not as many as Vi). I only use Vi-like editors nowadays only when I have no other choice (which hasn't happened in years).

Look at the date.

Attached: KB_Terminal_ADM3A.svg.png (640x207, 18K)

Did you really write all those words in a text editor thread on a Bhutanese collage forum?

Hahahaha is this a pasta no way am I gonna read that shit nigger

Attached: eeeeee.jpg (128x128, 4K)

I have mapped ctrl and alt next to my spacebar, and operating Vim would still be a nightmare if I had to keep holding different modifier keys for every command I perform. The point of modes is that almost always you wish to perform several of them at a time. And if you don't, the mode selection doesn't slow you down much compared to chording. So why exactly would chording be better for an editor?

Get this charityware for niggers off my board, kike.

>kike
Sorry to break it for you, but Emacs was written by a jew in (((lisp)))

>So why exactly would chording be better for an editor?
Because it makes intermixing inserting and commands easier and seamless.
Pressing or releasing a modifier key is objectively quicker than entering or exiting a mode. You always have them under your thumbs, ready for action.
The more "fine-grained" your insertions are, the greater this benefit.
I used Vim for 5 years before switching. Overall, I do like its keybindings, but after trying out alternatives, I found that non-modal editing is better for me, and also, as I said, objectively more efficient with respect to the number of keys pressed (pressing a modifier can be done simultaneously with another key, toggling modes a la Vi cannot).
You may argue that it's _less comfortable_, but that stopped being a problem once I mapped ctrl and alt to better positions. Now I see no disadvantages in non-modal editing.
I urge you to try out some non-modal alternatives, you may be surprised. You can always go back to Vim if, after trying them out, you conclude they suck.

>made by the master race
No wonder it's so good.

i read all this shit

Fortunately not on any BSD by default: those come with vi instead, though you can install vim if you want.

Modal editing is far more ergonomic. Reaching to press escape or ^[ before pressing single-key commands is far better for the hands than stretching and contorting them to press two- or three-key commands every time.

>Because it makes intermixing inserting and commands easier and seamless.
But I almost always spend time _either_ churning out text _or_ manipulating it. Both periods last a while. So, putting the insertion phase on a pedestal necessarily makes the manipulation phase more cumbersome because keeping the modifier pressed with your thumb makes using keys harder, and occasionally having to release the modifier for some things (like searches) makes it more confusing.

Obviously, if you type, then perform one command, then resume typing, having modes means you perform 1 extra button press as opposed to chording. That's insignificant, especially since you very rarely just type and perform one command. So the objective efficiency you describe is a non-issue in practice. There are some edge cases where it matters though, but it's not something that really bothers me ever.

I might try setting up emacs so that ctrl-key combinations correspond to vim's normal mode commands. But I've already tried using vim while holding ctrl with my thumb, and it just doesn't feel right. So it's not worth the insignificant efficiency factor for me.