Android thread

Does anyone here who uses Android actually like the OS? Or do you use it because it's just the best option available?

I personally cannot wait for a third choice again. It's sad WP died but we need something with the efficiency of iOS and the options of Android. Of course concessions need to be made but if something manages to land inbetween those two it'd be perfect.

Attached: 3b62a3af980faa60a10f041e3c4[1].png (630x420, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

maruos.com/
plasma-mobile.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Android's based. I use it for very many reasons. And i have plans and ambitions for Android that far exceed Google's ambitions.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Wait and see.

Attached: mobile-magic_chanpipatshutterstock.jpg (640x480, 29K)

I like Android OS, I just wish I could detach everything Google. It'd admittedly a lot harder because having access to a vast App Store is just so fucking convenient. F-Droid doesn't cut it.

use yalpstore or aurora, or just find the apk you want from apkmirror or similar sites
true play store is convenient in some way but there are alternatives

I just hope one day a new alternative that has nothing to do with google that isn't locked down like iOS comes to fruition.

Why build a new OS, when you can turn a desktop one into a mobile one?
Try either PostmarketOS or PureOS, they're GNU/Linux distros for your phone.

replicant + f-droid is my daily driver

if only they support our devices tbqh

also found this, its basically android with debian when docked or when detects an hdmi output(if your phone supports one)
maruos.com/

There is an alternative. KDE Plasma
plasma-mobile.org/
But it's still a small project. Needs a bunch of good C++ devs to make it useful

Sure there's also Blackberry, Symbian, etc. I'm just pointing out that there isn't a big established alternative anymore which runs better than Android/is less bloated while offering more options than iOS.

I honestly don't know why no one even tried to compete with Android.
Java fucking sucks, any good company could make a much better OS. They just need to add compability for Android apps with JVM I guess in the start, because no one would switch to OS with no apps

Android is perfect, fuck off you dumb chinos.

Because Android is genius in the sense that they managed to capture the entire 'not Apple' market by making their OS as widely applicable as possible.
FYI Google has even worked on a mobile OS based on something better than Java for a while but abandoned it because Android ran on 80% of the worlds devices.

It's because they went very fast in the smartphone market to compete with Apple.
Android fucking sucks, Taking Linux and creating mobile DE using C++ would be a much better alternative.
Especially now when Wayland and Vulkan are getting stable

>I personally cannot wait for a third choice again
Is semi-proprietary Maemo-postmortem system sufficient?

Attached: Снимок_Экрана_20190521_002.png (1080x1920, 1.77M)

sailfish is cool, but i wish they would go full free as in freedom.

Anyone here owns a modded Mi A1? Official pie is cancer, I want to put a custom on it but I was out of the modding game for a long time. What's the best custom rom for it?

You should’ve taken your meds

I like it, it's basically a Linux distro and you can customize almost everything.

>Dumb Chinos
Android is a literal 3rd world OS. Pajeets and Chinks love it because they can all install it on their $100 phones.

If you view it as a Linux distro it's indeed a good program. I'm just not too much into mobile software and as a former Windows Phone user I am not sure if I really like the trade-off between having more options vs somewhat poorer performance.

If WP were installed on todays Androids with 8 cores, 4gb ram, 3500mAh batteries it would be the fastest phone on the planet. Hell Nokia Lumia 1520 is still ranked in the top 20 of phones based on battery life today, despite being 8 years old.

Android is shit but it's the only real viable OS, if I could I'd use Sailfish

Why does Android brick so often?

It makes no sense that every little thing makes this OS shit itself

I never heard of a bricked iOS.

Attached: shitdroid.png (1024x768, 386K)

Linux would be nice, but currently the modem support on modern devices is virtually nonexistent

Android as an OS has some nice features. like permission granularity, but on the other hands it feels like nobody cares about optimization pushing software that needs way too much resources than it should.

Sure, there are modern alternatives, like postmarketOS, Maemo Leste, UBports, PureOS etc. but none of them will be any popular without manufacturer help: most SoC manufacturers just give phone manufacturers Android kernel source code (not Linux one mind you, they are quite different on driver level), maybe some documentation (you probably won't see it even if) and kiss them goodbye.

Making Linux boot an any phone is very simple (see supported devices for postmarketOS) but the problem lies in drivers which are simply not available for Linux so you won't have access to camera, modem, 3D acceleration and so on. The closest thing to working alternative is any Linux distro plus Halium/libhybris, which is just a small contained part of LineageOS that runs Android drivers but is far from being considered a good solution to the problem.

These systems are basically dead, with Blackberry being closed source and Symbian being obsolete in every possible way (only older version is open-sourced, good luck with toolchain, EKA2 only supporting armhf(v6) and being generally extremely tightly connected with the underlying hardware)

Are you still living in 2013? Haven't even heard of anyone's phone hard bricking for years, unless you're referring to specific devices in which case it isn't a fault of android.

I liked android up to 7, but Oreo and pie have been disappointing. Google continues to make changes simply for the sake of change, and frequently removes options. They've shifted their focus almost entirely to google assistant and play services, neither of which are present on my device. Generally speaking, battery life has improved and the OS has become more polished, but I'm no fan of the direction google is taking android in.

I have used windows mobile for a long time, and I am pretty happy with android, although they're clearly going with less freedom route which is bad.
Thus I'm not upgrading anytime soon.

When are phone manufacturers starting to update their shit for more than 2 years?

Why would they

>Or do you use it because it's just the best option available?
It's either that or buy an iPhone, which is ridiculously expensive in Europe for what you get. Android is slow and bloated, I seriously hope it dies in near future

I'm waiting for an open x86 phone with a SIM slot that isn't a jail right out of the box so I can ditch mobile shit OSs for good.

Attached: 1532548506586.jpg (1200x900, 118K)

Android itself is alright.
I just hate every incompetent piece of shit app dev who are too fucking lazy to figure stuff out on their own.
I mean, why fuck should a banking app need google services?
Why should a piece of software be replaced with "totally not a browser"?