Flashlights of three brave men in Chernobyl

Electricity is technology.

So far Chernobyl miniseries is very good and displays the reality very well, but I can't understand why, at the end of episode 2, flashlights of the three brave men, Alexei Ananenko, Valeri Bespalov and Boris Baranov died. Sure, high radiation fucks with electronics, unless they're shielded with Faraday cage.
But those ware not electronics, but crude, electric flashlights with led batteries, I've seen fair share of those in my youth.
They shouldn't have died, unless they got flooded with water that caused them to short-circut.

>Plant engineers Alexei Ananenko, Valeri Bespalov and Boris Baranov wore diving equipment and entered the reservoir tanks below the burning reactor, an area which had become filled with firefighting water and coolant water, to locate and open release valves to drain the water.[29] Scientists believe that, once the reactor melted through its concrete slab and plunged into the water, the steam explosion would have released many times more radiation into the atmosphere than the original explosion.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_involvement_in_the_Chernobyl_disaster

Attached: soviet quality.jpg (1280x640, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
youtube.com/watch?v=zuNtgYtF4FI
youtube.com/watch?v=KtnTmvGRu2Y
hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q11162.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>a dramatic TV series exaggerates and portrays inaccurately
Imajune mah shjock

It's very correct so far.

Might not have been the radiation. May have just been glorious Soviet flashlight quality.

The trailer I've seen doesn't fill me with confidence since it portrays political leaderships account of the situation.
Documentaries have been done on this before and they almost exclusively cover the people involved including the people in direct connection with command at the plant.
I would not expect that to be left out from the documentaries I've seen if it was available.
I'm fully expecting it to be another antinuclear propaganda film rather than a reasonable account of events.

>I'm fully expecting it to be another antinuclear propaganda film rather than a reasonable account of events.
This

>antinuclear propaganda film
correct

This isn't Jow Forums related you faggot go to fiction or science
And don't forget to hang yourself

I stopped watching when they invented the stronk wumin character that never existed to come in and save the day. That's a slap in the face to the real guys who sorted this shit out.

I've seen 3 eposodes so far and it's dead on acurate in terms of mentality in soviet states.
Im afraid of this to but so far I hope it will not be.

Have a (you) and don't forget to brush teeth before sleep. And don't pee in bed at night again, you child.

They explained it in podcast - they had a dilema how to display all those different people. They had to compromise, no way to show them all, so they created fictional character. I was raised in commie state, and met/read about women like that character, for me she's very realistic.

I am 24 and never have peed in my bed you imbecil
This shit has nothing to do here
Mods should fist u for that

Than act your age, right now you act like an edgy baby.

Every baby pees in bed when switching off from dipers.

>TV

Attached: D6DD01FC-E3FA-4982-BF09-E3F0C9534C99.jpg (1920x1882, 515K)

You are the type of person that makes this board trash

>Every baby pees in bed when switching off from dipers.
I didn't, i didn't even scream when i was an infant
Shut your hole up u wannabe medic

>Op asks iv high radiation can effect simple electric devices
>not a single merit answer, bitching about the series and insults instead

The state og 2019 Jow Forums
Bunch of idiots who don't really know shit on any subject, but they can whine to no end and bitch about operating systems and Brave browser.

Speaking of OP's question:

H know it's a completely different kind of radiation, but this solar flare had great effect on simple electric devices of that time:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

You shut now, ok? I'm a father and what you type is beyond stupid.

The high level of leaking radiation was enough to fuck up that helicopter that crashed dumping sand over the reactor. I'd imagine it could fuck up some flashlights too. Just a guess though.

In reality, the helicopter hit a crane cable.
In the show they didn't lie directly, but made it look like it's the radiation that crashed it.

youtube.com/watch?v=zuNtgYtF4FI

I haven't seen the show, I watched a documentary that's a few years old that implied it was the radiation too. They just showed the footage from the helicopter camera all the way down, not the outside shot of hitting the cable like you posted. Thanks.

I've only watched episode one but your right. Firstly they never show the engineers pumping graphite into the core they just mentioned they found graphite. Also everyone is speaking with an English accent and it's annoying.

>high radiation fucks with electronics
Really? I dont get it

Watch this Ukrainian TV movie version if you want to hear people speaking russian. I wouldn't trust jewtubes auto translated subs though.
youtube.com/watch?v=KtnTmvGRu2Y

With electronics, yes. With plain electric devices? I don't think so, thus the thread.

I have a feeling this board doesn't have that many men of science, just edgy kids and l33t haX0rs.
Perhaps I should start the thread on /sci/

Gamma radiation is penetrating and can affect most electrical equipment. Simple equipment(like motors, switches, incandescent lights, wiring, and solenoids) is very radiation resistant and may never show any radiation effects, even after a very large radiation exposure.

hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q11162.html

What about all that EMP from nuke stopping cars? Does it only apply to modern cars full of electronics, and old jeep would not give a fuck?

>electric flashlights with led batteries,

Soviet flashlights and batteries were absolute fucking trash.

t. grew up in the USSR

Attached: image_2019-05-21_16-57.png (1440x2599, 77K)

>I'm fully expecting it to be another antinuclear propaganda film rather than a reasonable account of events.
Yeah, how dare they imply nuclear energy has its risks!