236 days 23 hours 35 minutes 23 seconds

Since Microsoft will soon be killing support for the last good version of Windows, what are everyone's plans after this coming January? Since all the games I still run Windows to play are older and I no longer play any online multiplayer games, I'm considering embracing the comfiness and going back to Windows XP.

Attached: Windows_7_SP1_screenshot.png (480x360, 130K)

I'm sticking with Windows 7 and hoping that the payed updates can be pirated.

It is supported until 2023.

inb4 some fat fucking shitter tells you to install Gentoo

Why would I need support from Microsoft?
It's companies like Valve that I hope never drop support like they did with XP.

ltsb

Valve dropped support of XP because Steam client is based on Chromium, and Google dropped support of XP.

Stick around as long as possible.
If it comes down to it, I may just move to Linux and lock either Win10 or Win7 in a VM for games.

So whenever Google drops support of Windows 7 then.
Also why would a multi billion dollar company rely on ta 3rd party rendering engine instead of making their own?

Does it even matter if Microsoft supports it anymore if you have an intel CPU? You'll be vulnerable either way.

I've been using Windows 7 for almost 10 years, gonna still use it after January, but I'll transfer all my documents in another PC.

Already trying out Linux distros. This month is Mint, next month I'll give Fedora a fair chance.

between this and meltdown+spectre & zombieload i think it's about time i retire my PC. will be using it mostly as a glorified console going forward. all my secure online transactions (online banking, filing taxes, online purchases, etc) will be done using my macbook & phone/tablet.

>Steam no longer supports Windows XP and Vista as of January 2019
...I guess I won't then. I guess I should just start making sure I can run all my games on Linux before then, since Windows 7 support could also be dropped at any time. I hope I can solve the issue of really poor graphics performance in some of my games that I saw last time I tried to just run Linux.

No link to the announcement because Jow Forums thinks my post is spam.

Attached: 1461985918743.jpg (255x211, 8K)

I have no updates installed. Nothing will change for me.

I've been running an unupdated SP1 install for years without issue. Nothing will change until people who make the applications I use stop supporting it.

Windows 8.1 has some mileage left, it actually is pretty great once you install a start menu and disable the unnecessary features. Snappy and clean looking.

Attached: 389635.jpg (3022x1700, 702K)

bitch xp was supported til 2014 whta you mean

Windows 10 is fantastic, nigger.

Nothing, keep on using it as normal. I've never had any issues. I'm still running on my original install of Windows 7 that I did in 2010. Cloned the drive a few times/swapped out the motherboard & cpu but the install itself remained the same throughout.

Fuck, and I was just looking at getting a Thinkpad X220 because it's powerful enough to play all my games under Windows. Now with the system requirements that Steam is claiming for playing Source engine games under Linux, the Intel HD3000 iGPU may not be enough. I wonder if Source engine games are hard to pirate since they're normally dependent on Steam to run.

I switched to Mint the day that W7 had that ad pop up trying to get me to switch to W10.

I haven't had any problems with Mint since then, and it feels totally familiar to W7 (which is MS's best OS, far and away). That said, I don't use my machine to play vidya, let alone use professional programs, so other people's mileage my vary.

I find 10 better for legacy gaming than XP was. Antialiasing in Homeworld is nice.

/Win 8.1 crew/ here.

How's it going peasants?

updates are broken so its hard to
- get updates
-add features like net framework if not just impossible

i am on windows 10 and i can actually connect to the update servers unlike eternally broken windows 8.1
good luck installing net framework with any ease

W81 has more bugs than any variant of windows 7 or 10, it was sabotaged by Ms and many basic features are broken with 0 fixes

Literally nothing wrong with Windows 10 you unwashed incel neckbeard. It's LITERALLY the safest, fastest, most stable version of Windows ever.

You contrarian faggots need to kill yourselves. I remember when you neckbeards didn't want to move from 98 to XP, then when 7 came out suddenly XP was the best. No 7 is the best. You're just contrarian idiots.

Worst OS I've tried desu

Here's the objective Windows rankings (Of what I've used)

XP > 7 > 95 > 10 > Vista > The rest

install gentoo

>I hope I can solve the issue of really poor graphics performance in some of my games that I saw last time I tried to just run Linux.
wanna know how I can tell you're an NVIDIA user who didn't install the proprietary drivers

Windows 7 was fucking garbage and I'm glad it's almost dead.