Tech careers

Hello Jow Forums, I have never posted here before. I apologize for the initial blogpost but it is relevant to the questions I'm curious about in technology.

24yo USA, spent the last couple years out of my degree program (two degrees, both humanities) helping grandparents who are on the way out. I've tried to do shit on the side but the strain of being a caretaker is more than I imagined (there is nothing more soulcrushing and horrifying than hearing a 99yo woman cry out for her mother after falling out of bed). I have absolutely zero tech experience, but my dad is a senior tech in NYC. Being 24 I have as much tech 'savvy' as you think I might - some office, but on a spreadsheet I get lost. With tech on the cusp of what I feel to be a major paradigm shift (automation, etc), I want to be a part of this - your - industry. How can one do this, with zero experience?

I was thinking of CISCO certs - CCNA, but probably CCNET to be realistic. That, or there are some coursera classes on Google Cloud fundamentals, that sort of thing. Again, with zero tech experience (idk any languages of any kind, from html to php, it literally may as well be arcane magic as far as me understanding anything tech-related is concerned).

So what are your thoughts, Jow Forums? I'm really interested in your - you even scrolling - input on how some poor fuck can make it in tech. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Lastly, I want to apologize if I had a thread die for this one. I went through the catalog but saw no threads - especially no generals - that seemed to have what I discussed above as relevant or topical to current ongoing discussion. If I missed it or if this is relevant elsewhere, please let me know immediately and if so I will delete the thread. I'll bump a few times shamelessly because I'm kind of desperate.

Attached: 1471920158989.jpg (667x1000, 45K)

and if the CISCO/Google Cloud idea is laughable due to lack of experience, please let me know that as well.

thanks again, fellas

Marie-Claude Bourbonnais

what's her name?

generic slut with big boobs number 13892

bump

have sex

have sex

pick a language and try to slowly chip away at it and do things that are less and less trivial. start by doing basic things like fizzbuzz or calling functions, learning arrays, and then start to do small projects, like a little game, file manager etc.

After this stage really do a deep dive into your languages feature set, libraries, strengths, weaknesses etc and feel like you could solve problems in that language easily.

Then branch out and do whatever you want(systems, web, cybersec, IT)

Did you talk to your father about this? Seems like he is the most convenient source of immediate experience to talk about. What did he say?

>With tech on the cusp of what I feel to be a major paradigm shift (automation, etc),
That paradigm shift is well over. There is still a lot of work, development and investment in this area, but if you wanted to catch the hype, the time to do that was 10 years ago.

It is not at all obvious what the career prospects in this field will be over the next 20 years. Tech work is very amenable to outsourcing, and globalization threatens this field in particular. It probably still beats your humanities options, but do keep this in mind.

install gentoo

>I was thinking of CISCO certs - CCNA, but probably CCNET to be realistic
ccent 1 is almost worthless
ccna is every pajeet passes due to testdump level
ccnp is what you need "in the city", but the more suburban the business is maybe you can get away with ccna

y-you wanna watch, user-kuns?

The cisco certs are legit but without prior computer knowledge expect pain.
Your best bet is to go to a community college and get an associates in comp sci. It'll give you enough of the basics to get your foot in the door. After that, go for a bachelor's. On top of that, you'll want to be experimenting with this stuff in your free time to be worth anything in the job market. The best of us have complex homelabs.

CCNA is only really useful for setting up Cisco brand equipment. What I mean is for a more broad spec Networking cert try Network+. They both cover the core guts of networking. Network+ is hell of a lot cheaper to.

Ask yourself; do you see yourself fucking about with Cisco routers anytime soon? or wanting to deploy a network from scratch that uses Cisco brand equipment? Or fucking about with the cisco command line config options that must be input exactly? If the answer is no then you don't need CCNA.

"Tech" is too broad a subject, encompassing everything from help desk to programming. You need to decide on a more specific subject.

If you're looking into Cisco certs, it sounds like you might be interested in network engineering. If you want to make it in that field, you'll need to know Linux and routing. Those are things you can learn at home.

To learn Linux, install it on a PC and get into the guts. Edit config files, read man pages, use the command line.

To learn routing, build yourself a Cisco home router. You could also use Juniper, Mikrotik, or BSD, they're all low level enough you'll learn a lot.

Attached: excuse-me.jpg (735x956, 138K)

If you're looking for a quick fix, technology isn't it. Going into the tech field is something you have to be willing to dedicate yourself to. The same really applies to all STEM fields.

I honestly think the best course of action would be to get a degree. It is possible to "make it" in this field on certs alone, but it requires immense self control and an aptitude for programming/CS. Think of it like this: its not enough that you know how to program or get the certs, but you need to be more competitive than all the kids graduating with degrees. It's possible, but very difficult.

That advice may not be very helpful in your case if you're unable to attend university full time, in which case the cert idea isn't so bad. I personally would recommend doing some kind of coding bootcamp along with certs so that you can at least get an entry level job. Python is a pretty safe pick for you since it's in high demand and relatively easy to learn.

Certs alone don't mean shit. Yes they are useful but without hands on experience your left looking like a dumb ass.

Going to College and getting a Comp Sci degree is equally retarded. Overkill. Just getting your foot in the door a comp sci degree and the expense that comes with it is not needed. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of shit.

Plenty of people go, get Comp Sci cause oh It's cool. They pass tests, but when it comes crunch time when you have to do the shit for real a lot look like fools.

Hands on exp is the only thing that counts. Books can only do so much. VM's are your friends to getting that exp. Failing that get your hands on some old pos computer and play with it.

user I'm going to give you advice,

I'm an IT, I have 2 degrees in humanities like you, I have zero certs but I have worked for a major ISP and I am mostly Self-taught.

Bite the bullet and just learn a fucking programming language. I learned scheme in college and it turned me off programming because it seemed fucking archaic and I didn't want to sit through 4 more years of it.

Programming is easy as fuck now, you wonder why all those diversity hires get jobs as devs now? it's because it's had holdy as fuck now. You literally have color coded auto-fill text correct that self checks it's own syntax.

Here is the dark secret of IT, in a small company you are slowly but surely going to be a glorified admin because you will eventually fix all their major issues and be regulated to help desk. Most finance departments won't pay for you to restructure the network and don't want you installing anything that fucks with quick books.
In a large corporation, you are going to find that they outsource their IT like retards and only hire help desk, or if they have contracted onsite IT, it's a part time position. It was soul crushing for me to realize that even though I was skilled with VoiP systems, my finance department was unwilling to switch from their very expensive provider because of fear of losing a # during port.

My job actually "Promoted" me to admin because they couldn't justify the overhead expense of fulltime IT. Granted i'm getting payed very decent wages but I'm not working in tech at all anymore.

>What I mean is for a more broad spec Networking cert try Network+. They both cover the core guts of networking. Network+ is hell of a lot cheaper to.
vaguely broader but significantly shallower
cisco knowledge can translate to juniper
net+ can't translate to cisco or juniper, and is left at soho equipment

if comptia entry level certs didn't expire like they used to, it was pretty good value
now that they expire, they're just really not

I fucking laugh when jobs require A+ certs,

It 100% shows they are fucking ass backwards and have no idea what they need.

I got mine before they did that, expiration date thing. Both A+ and Network +. Not everyone wants to be a programmer. Or a Dev. Some people just want to work with the Tech itself. Some people hate programming.

The good thing about tech is that at the core it don't change much. An Ethernet cable is an Ethernet cable, only difference is the speed/bandwidth that cable can support. The jacks are the same RJ45's that's been in use for ages. Which is good. Sata is sata. Speed bumps along the way but it's all b.c. Can plug a new 14TB sata 3 drive into an old sata 1 board and it'll work fine, so long as os supports gpt and board has lba48 support. So for those people getting a damn Comp Sci degree is a waste of money.

I want to Reel my Steel inside her

Attached: gib-milkies.jpg (320x213, 11K)

Some shit you don't need a damn programmer degree in order to do it. Overkill. Like me going and getting a damn college degree when my job don't even need it or require it. Long as I show up and do the work nobody gives two shits how much education I got.

Is this copy pasta or what? Obviously the same fucking poster

I really don't give a shit about this gay computer shit I just want to suck on her pink nipples

Young lady, I suggest you start by wearing a bra.

You know things will have gone to hell if you need a damn college degree to work at Walmart/Kroger or in fast food. Totally nuts. All those places care about is this; a body. How much education said body has is meaningless. Long as the person can read/write/follow instructions then your hired.

Naw we just used a similar style in spacing.
It's fucking true though, don't go into IT unless you plan on being a network engineer, then you might as well be a PM, which involves almost zero work with tech.

Tech ain't everything. You get an easy shit job, that job pays you enough, that job is steady work as in you can't be fired unless you fuck up bad. Has retirement plans and shit with it.

why would you leave that? Hell a lot of people would kill for that. Just going about your daily routine without fear of some dude saying "your fired" or worrying about paying your bills.