SystemD has over 1.2 million lines

what in the actual skynet attempt fuck

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Systemd-1.2-Million

Attached: 3AD82D76-B5F6-45D3-BBBE-BEA76B71E0E2.jpg (300x300, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/yqvC8SYa
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bash.git/tree/
bugs.gentoo.org/391945
ix.io/yqr
lwn.net/Articles/786593/
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=UEFI-rm-root-directory
theregister.co.uk/2016/02/02/delete_efivars_linux/
twitter.com/mjg59/status/693494314941288448
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why do you hate progress?

(((progress)))

What is systemd for?

systemDICKED

>wow look at this, guys
>systemd has lots of info
>it must be bad

Attached: k.jpg (540x540, 24K)

wait, is SystemD longer than the Linux Kernel?

>B-but muh child processes and cgroups and parallel startup.
Seriously who cares when it requires millions of lines of monlithic c code for a fu***** init system designed especially to be cancerous and thus giving dead rat much market shares? Poettering even hard coded 8.8.8.8 as fallback dns.

Too many genes cause defects.

The more lines of code, the easier it is to slip in a few (((bugs)))... oops. Oh dear, there's a (((bug))) in one of the million plus lines of code, we're only human. We'll patch this one right away.

>9020
>still using LoC as a metric
what is IQ and how do i get some?

LoC is still a good metric.
I'd imagine Systemd has a good chunk of dead code.

>wait, is SystemD longer than the Linux Kernel?
It seems that it is larger than a fully functional Linux kernel v2.1 as of 1998.
So basically, in 1998, there was a Linux kernel less bloated than systemd is today.

Attached: Linux_kernel_loc.svg.png (600x480, 11K)

Attached: Identifying+Kernel+Versions.jpg (960x720, 92K)

Would say I care but I don't desu. It's working well enough for me.

It's a metric of how bloated it is you baboon. Even Linus states how he's trying to slim down the kernel by removing lines of code, maybe he also needs to "get some IQ".

It's totally understandable that red hat want to control all distros and Lennard Poettering is just doing what they pay him to do. But the rest? Systemd defenders, distribution developers and end users? You are all part of this disease. Systemd users are sick people!

To elaborate on one problem with bloat like says
Let's assume a program has a bug rate of 1 bug per 100 lines.
That's very optimistic.
That means sysdemd has 12k bugs.
Worrisome

man, and is SystemD worth using? I am a brainlet Ubuntu user so I don't know too much about the internals, what are the main benefits of Linux using SystemD?

In my personal opinion, and from experience, the only benefit is mass-adaptation. Which is also naturally very suspicious. It was absolutely BETA software pushed into stable, field, and enterprise distro's so fast by the biggest Linux corporation, the Microsoft of Linux, Redhat.
In my opinion the far too many negatives far outweight any benefits.
I'm sure you're less brainlet and more new user, so just keep poking and being curious, maybe you'll like systemd if you stop asking questions about it.

systemd makes things just work.

What is the fucking alternative? We're way past the point of no return if I want to run everything.

Everything

that's the problem. other inits do exist but systemd is such a monopoly that the average linux user just doesn't care anymore. it's actually scary how much control they have and I know there's going to be a massive bug in the future that's going to fuck everyone over using it. I'll be enjoying openrc

well I found it cumbersome when trying to autostart mpd because I have to disable the service AND the fucking socket because I wanted to initialky mpd with i3 config file.

but yeah, I will read more about it.

>point of no return
We're not there yet. There are still systemd-free distributions. Debian had to be forked to treat the cancer. It resulted in Devuan, which works great. Good old Slackware is also great for a systemd-free experience. Runs everything.

Use Slackware, the init system consists of just chmod +x a file and thats pretty much it.

INSTALL GENTOO

Attached: distros.png (1600x1053, 2.59M)

Daily reminder that the L4 kernel has around 15k lines of code and the core of QNX has around 25k. These numbers were relevant as of 2017. Both of those could fit many times over in Linux 2.6 (5 million lines) and the Winshit XP kernel (roughly 40 million lines).

So since we've established that a highly valuable and successful microkernel can be coded in less than 50k lines of code, what in the actual fuck are GNU/Niggers even doing?

Attached: 1546381576641.jpg (451x422, 48K)

oh man, I want to snort cocaine from those asses

Systemd paranoia is insane. This group of neckbeards (in between recompiling their kernel and fixing their xorg) obsessively nit pick everything that this one guy says or does
This one example of obsessive nit picking will always stand out
>systemd creator: hashing cannot be used to restore corrupted files in non-trivial cases
>neckbeard: actuhally. hashing is not meant to restore files from corruption
When it was plain as day that the systemd creator was referring to extremely trivial cases
Short inputs that you can literally google and find the reverse hash

slackware confirmed objectively best ass

this. tempted to install now

>Runs everything.

Attached: doubt - better version.jpg (707x299, 36K)

Absolutely misleading "reporting". The line count includes documentation, comments, whitespace and other non-code data. C files amount to 38% of the line count, and that's without removing non-code lines.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-21-23-23-11.png (720x1280, 175K)

How many you reckon it should have? 10k? 50k?

Oh wow, that really changed my opinion on systemd.

Nah, not really and you're a fag.

$ sudo apt remove systemd

>mfw pastebin.com/yqvC8SYa

Attached: 1543956745062.png (500x461, 133K)

openrc has like 15k, but then again it can't really compete as an OS with systemd.

Linux and GNU replacement.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, systemd/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, systemd plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning systemd system made useful by the systemd corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by me, Poettering. Many computer users run a modified version of the systemd system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of systemd which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the systemd system, developed by the systemd Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the systemd operating system: the whole system is basically systemd with Linux added, or systemd/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of systemd/Linux.

Attached: poett.jpg (3456x2304, 2.69M)

I don't care about you and your opinion, retard. My point is that OP is a faggot and his post is a steaming pile of shit.
Also one thing that OpenRC and other script based init systems don't take into account is the lines of code count of the script shells that run the scripts themselves. Not so much different to SystemD now, are they?

Attached: 1499795787771.gif (320x240, 1.58M)

Go to bed Lennart, you're drunk.

systemd is a suite of system and service manager, it may look like a lot of code but that's because it implements things NTP daemon and DNS resolver that are all split nicely into programs that does one thing and do it well

As if ALL of the init scripts possible could sum up to 1m+ lines of code. Nigger stop being retared.

Usually, the one thing they do well is interfacing with systemd.

Add in the hundreds of lines of code from your shell then it's suddenly not so minimal
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bash.git/tree/

haha stay mad bsd cuck

hundreds != millions, learn to count poetter

No, you learn to read. systemD isn't 1m lines of code, by far. It's actually much less than 500k, in a very inaccurate measure. Also I'm talking about the shell scripts runtime, the bash/dash executables. Those projects loc have to be added to the alternative inits to make a fair comparison to systemD.

Attached: file.png (1885x399, 173K)

I meant hundreds of thousands

go the fuck away & fuck off back to BSD with your dogshit init system
just install openrc ffs

init replacement that went horribly wrong

According to who? It's used in production everywhere

@71056118
you don't deserve a you for that awful logical reasoning

OpenRC is dogshit
bugs.gentoo.org/391945

Meanwhile the alternatives you like to say are better like devuan are dying because of the retard in charge of aprils fools, karma's a bitch

Not fair to compare a init system to a rudimentary os.

And not a single one of those lines was necessary.

Reinventing the wheel - OpenSource communities in a nutshell.

system destroyed
system destroyer

It really doesn't like soundsystems, no surprise - the devs are logitech shitters all around.

Attached: cat eyes copy.jpg (480x640, 60K)

>And not a single one of those lines was necessary.
But it was necessary, systemd's daemons make use of systemd's API, they actually interface with the service manager instead of doing retarded shit like double forking

>Systemd paranoia is insane.
What are systems?

Attached: drag.jpg (1000x1000, 144K)

I promise I'm not trying to troll or bait, but does logitech have a bad rap or something? Their stuff is usually pretty good, and not bad on the price either.

Device drivers are huge and outside micro kernels, so the comparison is not valid.

Yes, wrong and wrong again.

In that case the linux kernel is the biggest foss botnet isnt it?

You know that Linux has loadable kernel modules, right? This isn't counting device drivers. Same for Windows and whatnot.

systemd is the windows of linux

ur mom is the sheathe of my dick

im pretty sure you can still use runit for pid1 on arch but too anal for me

ix.io/yqr
i do think someone should update this
and some common services for examples would be nice

>posted from my windows gaming computer: the thread

>implying more lines of code mean progress.
Software devellopment is a joke.

That being said, MS office suite has over 40 million IIRC

More loc usually means more features which triggers the cat-v cultists populating this board

I've been wanting to take the plunge and hop straight to Artix from Xubuntu, but since Antergos just shut down I'm not sure. I want to choose a sans-systemd distro that stands a solid chance of lasting.

Email me when you find promising sans-systemD distro. I am getting deaperate and might go for devuan meme... or fucking openBSD if I can make jetbrains product work

Supposedly a large percentage of that is documentation

>devuan
lwn.net/Articles/786593/

Attached: 1540342641100.gif (511x512, 106K)

>one bad config can shit the whole system
who designed this shit?

what config?

CONFIG BAD

Attached: 36 - xtEF9eI.jpg (1024x1024, 90K)

Based joke.
I think I will end up switching to devuan.

>pastebin.com/yqvC8SYa
lel

>wow look at this, guys
>that guy has lots of chromosomes
>it must be cool

Systemd will one day replace GNU/Linux

> he can't read 1.2 m lines of code

>"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code"
>Ken Thompson

openrc chad here, when I start up my computer once a month or w/e it takes about 2.5 seconds longer, better replace this with 1.2m loc

$ whatis systemd
systemd (1) - systemd system and service manager

>Systemd paranoia is insane.
You're insane. Systemd has bricked a large number of computers. Just for that fact, in the world of stable operating systems systemd is unacceptable.

Devuan is very stable. It's basically what Debian was before going to shit.

It's a new operating system that's still in development, so for now you still have to use some other kernel and tools.

>Systemd has bricked a large number of computers
wat?

can't wait for GNU/SystemD to finally replace linux. Hurd is a stillborn project, but it looks like SystemD is advancing fast

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=UEFI-rm-root-directory
theregister.co.uk/2016/02/02/delete_efivars_linux/

>rm -rf /
play stupid games, win stupid rewards

Pretty hilarious but then again... efi.

it's not specific to systemd though, nice try loser
twitter.com/mjg59/status/693494314941288448

>The simple answer of "Make it read-only" is missing the point - there's a bunch of legitimate reasons to want to be able to write here
>This is a kernel problem that needs to be fixed in the kernel
>(The kernel already sanitises a bunch of UEFI accesses to deal with shitty BDS implementations that affected >50% of all shipped hardware)
>For the record, if rm /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/* bricks your laptop under Linux, it's a 20-line app to do the same under Windows
IT'S UEFI'S FAULT
IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED IN THE LINUX KERNEL
IT'S BSD'S FAULT
YOU CAN DO THE SAME THING IN WINDOWS IF YOU WRITE THE CODE FOR IT

Attached: laughing-faggot.jpg (619x320, 20K)

there are so many packages in there that have nothing to do with systemd or anything else. Holy fucking shit this is what happens with apt, if you just use it on a daily basis without doing anything else than just installing and purging.
For example when installing wine you will get uuid-runtime. After deinstalling wine you will still have uuid-runtime and suddenly some programs depend on it. I tested this more than once to know this. Same goes for gvfs-backends. Sometimes it is important in what order you install and deinstall stuff for apt not to randomly break. I know I could set some packages to manually installed but come on this is crazy.