NVME SSDs

Has anybody upgraded from SATA SSDs to M.2 NVME ones? Do even the entry level M.2 NVME PCIe SSDs (Kingston A1000, Intel 660p) outperform the higher end traditional SATA SSDs?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 142K)

>Intel 660p
I bought a 2 TB one and it died after 200 GB.

Damn. What are you using now?

>Has anybody upgraded from SATA SSDs to M.2 NVME ones?

Yes and its much faster working with RAW files than my 850 pro was

which nvme ssd did you cop bro

Attached: 3.jpg (1638x2048, 970K)

(Ahem!)

My old computer.
The best part is the faggots make you pay for shipping to RMA it. Shame on me for buying Intel I guess, even gooks stand by their product with more pride than Intel.

it's 20Gb/s aka ~2GB/s plus you have to take into consideration real world usage conditions sweaty

Attached: 91.jpg (2000x1000, 301K)

I'm sorry i don't understand you.

I went from Sata SSD to m.2 nvme. I didn't notice any damn difference in speed. I did like the lack of cables though.

20 gigabits per second is equal to 2.5 gigabytes per second.
They advertise in gigabits per second (Gb/s instead of GB/s) to make the number look bigger.

Attached: clown world.gif (511x512, 105K)

its equal to 5 GB/s but thank your for the clarification.

What model did you buy and what size?

Attached: thot.webm (640x800, 400K)

It's 2.5 GB/s my dear.

Attached: 1551159063937.png (837x837, 453K)

I had a Samsung 850 evo went to a 970 evo

also PCIe slots are 2GB/s per channel, so a PCIe x2 is 4GB / s, a PCIe x4 is 8GB / s, ect.

both were 250 GB

What size?

Attached: 9090809980898908.jpg (640x931, 46K)

there are 4 bits in a byte.

see here both were 250 GB well more like 232 yuo know how it is.

yes. Was it worth it? no.

Attached: NVME.png (402x366, 36K)

then whycome all the high-spec m.2 nvmes can only achieve 5GB/s in all the Jow Forums crystalmark screencaps

Why no? Isn't that like 4 times faster than sata ssds tho.

Attached: internet tough guy.webm (640x768, 1.27M)

yup. even with a 4 channel (PCIe 4x) m.2 SSD you won't get it to go any faster.

No.

SATA has a transfer rate of 6GB / s, but the read / write speeds are still capped at the numbers shown.

I have to admit, putting a hard drive on a PCIe card is still a neat idea, even if its not quite as fast as they'd hoped.

you can try and compare it to SATA III though, maybe there is something i'm missing.

I don't see any reason to. I can't even think of how much faster it's make my computer in doing anything.

I'd try and find out the read / write speeds of the SSD drive first before you test them, tho.

It gets rid of cables and makes your PC look ricer.

Yeah maybe I'll use an m.2 slot when I have a need to drop an SSD.

the only noticable difference is windows booting up a few seconds quicker and games take a few seconds to load faster than my ssd. If you ran out of storage and just need more, then an nvme drive is fine, but don't buy one expecting it to make a world of difference.

how about the load times of thumbnails for your tens of thousands of animu pictures in your Jow Forums folder

tldr: diminishing returns. An HDD to SSD is a massive difference and noticeably better. An SSD to NVMe drive isn't much better unless you're doing specific tasks that require insane data transfer speeds like video editing.

Yep, I would use to love these for editing huge images and videos. Might help a lot to use it as scratch disk.

pretty much this but im happy with it.

I went from 840 evo to 970 evo and didn't notice shit, except when doing backups or transferring files to my other SSDs.
NVMe isn't worth it really. You won't notice a thing in 99% of the time and this is coming from someone who makes a living working with Photoshop and other graphics programs. Doesn't speed up handling the files one bit.
Only drive that seems to improve over a normal SATA SSD is Optane and it costs a fuckton and even then the improvement is barely noticeable.
Until we reach RAM speeds with storage, it's better to just focus on getting more basic and cheap SSD storage than spending 2-5x premium on speed that you won't even notice.

>A: drive

is this bait or do you deliberately bang your head against the wall while singing the flintstones theme song

I had an Intel m.2 that died also. Weird

Oh how nice this thread exists. I just bought mine today and started transferring some large stuff on it like Arma 3 and Star Citizen. Arma loaded so fast on it. It felt twice as fast as my 860 Evo. I bought Inland Proffessional 512gb. I'm new to them so I bought one that wasn't too expensive. Wanted 970 but it costs so much more.

Why do they choose so ugly colours for the PCBs of the more budget NVMEs. Do they do it on purpose? What's wrong with just going with black instead of garbage blue or puke green?

I just bought a 660p for my new build.

Attached: ckrpw9u9uv021.jpg (1598x1943, 514K)

Got a 1TB HP EX920. Why am I only getting 1.5GB/s read instead of the advertised 3.2GB/s?

please explane

Attached: 37261022_2110897602510373_3331868390800228352_n.webm (640x640, 1.75M)

>advertised read/write speeds were 3,200MBps/1,800MBps
>mine is only getting 1,500MBps/1,300MBps

Don't think I can make it any clearer than this.

no i mean i am begging Jow Forums to explain your situation

Are your partitions aligned properly?
There can be a flaw when formatting or cloning the drive and that kills the performance.
Download AS SSD and see if the text in pic related is red or green. If it's red then the partition alignment is fucked up.

Attached: 298.jpg (1024x508, 183K)

It comes up as green for me.

Attached: file.png (493x443, 24K)

Then I don't know what could be wrong with it. Maybe there's something fucky with the drivers or the firmware.

what mobo are you using
sometimes the cheap mobos are the bottleneck

ASUS H110M-A/M.2

Did you actually get a nvme drive or just a SATA drive in m.2 format.

Attached: 1557794120582.jpg (251x242, 15K)

holy, your block size is way too big
i guess that's why your sequential speed is low

Is that something that can be fixed?

How do I fix it sir.

Sir?

>SATA has a transfer rate of 6GB/s
N, no, not, nope, nyet, nein, never, you're wrong.

SATA uses 8/10b encoding,
SATA III is 6000Megabits, not MegaBytes
6000 / 8 = 750
750 * .8 = 600

SATA III does 600MB/s at most, and more likely 550-570MB/s after processing overhead.

oic

Attached: 1537972873191.png (640x1105, 1.05M)

Mommy

shes nice yes

Attached: 1538024403717.png (1080x1365, 1.39M)

unless you are dealing with heavy I/O nvme meme is just a meme for everyone else

>qlc
meme'd

could you post a more photoshopped image
thanks

that's offset - where the selected partition starts on the drive

Attached: assd.jpg (499x505, 73K)

Don't buy the NVMEME

Hello?

hi what should i buy

Attached: 40022922_2025751651089026_8832635643344453632_n.jpg (1080x1341, 84K)

I went from an EVO 850 SATA to an NVME 970 EVO Plus

Essentially there is 0 benefit in day to day use, as in there is no noticeable difference whatsoever. That being said the NVME drive does heavy loads far faster than mechanical or the 850. For example if I want to convert a batch of video from raw to 10-bit h265 it would take me 16 hours to process 30gigs on mechanical 6 hours on the 850 and 1-2 hours on the NVME.

But if you're not doing anything like that then you don't need it, also my numbers might be slightly skewed as I've maxed out the PCI-e lanes on this board and obviously things go faster the less full the drive is even on an SSD.

Attached: numbers are neat.png (1096x543, 142K)

Hey so are you sure you put it into the right M.2 slot? Some boards limit the lanes depending on your configuration it should be in an x4 lane

Meme, get's hot up to 100C when writing.
SATA is better

Thanks dear.

Don't lie asshole.

Attached: pwi1f3qdtjg11.jpg (2437x2988, 520K)

never had it go above 50C and that's sitting under a GPU

why they place the m2 slot directly under where the gpu sits anyway?
seems like a poor design choice to have the biggest heat source near your primary storage.

something to do with the traces

I just ran out of free space on my 500GB mx200 so I bought 1TB 970 evo plus for games. No regrets.
"Upgrading" is pointless, why would anyone waste time on replacing storage devices? Just add more storage when you need to. 970 evo plus is simply the best choice for mainstream storage now.

Hi is it possible to migrate your windows installation to a bigger drive

easily, most SSD comes with cloning software, it's going to a smaller drive that's the issue.

Can you migrate to a bigger drive without having to make a separate partition? Just have the Windows installation take up the full 1TB of space?

yes it will "expand" into the new space

Thanks

Please respond I hate it when Windows struggles to load all 20,000 thumbnails everytime I open my Jow Forums folder.

SSD's get super hot

they only work at the advertised speed for like 30 seconds and then slow down to keep from breaking

>it's going to a smaller drive that's the issue.
How the hell DOES someone migrate to a smaller drive? I've never had to do it, but it'd be nice to have a frame of reference

Attached: 1542186354278.jpg (816x960, 99K)

Same, 660p is garbage. Reason why they all went on sale.

My z77 motherboard (i5 3rd gen) had beta drivers for nVME M.2 SSDs and guess what, it works like a charm. reinstalled windows and its fast as fuck

I'd love nvme more if it didn't use what little CPIE lanes they consumer processors have.
16 is not enough when a dGPU already eats up all those lanes.

>20/8=5
Is this the power of euro education

At least Ryzen has a dedicated set of lanes for the first m.2 slot. You're right though that's still not enough for some and the cost to step up to Threadripper boards is fucking steep.

FAT
A
T

i thought NVME drives were more about latency and so give you a snappier feeling OS

Warranty

checked
Switched from Sata SSD to M.2 to save space in my computer.
SO far so good, it is lightning fast.

Attached: nvme.png (1331x416, 93K)

I have a Samsung evo m.2 ssd because my 2.5" SATA III ssd was a bottleneck for video encoding. That said I have other computers with WD and ADATA m.2 cards and they are doing just as well if not better in some use cases.

What m2 to buy? I don't have any space for normal drives any more.
I'm not sure if I really benefit from getting a fast nvme. Should I got for something cheaper in the 500GB range and then upgrade in a year when there's potentially better pricing options?

Umm... HELLO?