Is this the year of the linux desktop?

Is this the year of the linux desktop?

>The government will switch the operating system of its computers from Windows to Linux, the Ministry of the Interior and Safety said Thursday.
>The Interior Ministry said the ministry will be test-running Linux on its PCs, and if no security issues arise, Linux systems will be introduced more widely within the government.
>The decision comes amid concerns about the cost of continuing to maintain Windows, as Microsoft’s free technical support for Windows 7 expires in January 2020.

koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190517000378

Attached: skitched-20120424-122922.jpg (619x442, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

neowin.net/news/munich-germany-realizes-that-deploying-linux-was-a-disaster-going-back-to-windows
itsfoss.com/brazil-open-source-microsoft/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

every year is the year of the linux desktop if you're using and enjoying linux. I don't see what it's popularity outside of your life matters.

I guess Microsoft just found a new headquarters.

Wait until they learn what Red Hat charges for support.

linuxfags eternally grasping at straws for proof that non autists like their OS

You mean a price that depends entirely on how well the SK government can negotiate?

No one will switch to Linux until it does basic fucking shit like not having terrible audio and not shitting itself randomly every boot.

This literally happens every year. And every year we hear about a previous attempt made years before that had to switch back to Windows.
neowin.net/news/munich-germany-realizes-that-deploying-linux-was-a-disaster-going-back-to-windows

German fag here who works as a software engineer. Can confirm we barely work under linux anymore. I kind of miss working with linux like back when I was in university

it matters for the quality of software that make it to the platform

Yeah, it happens all the time
itsfoss.com/brazil-open-source-microsoft/

I already had my year of Linux desktop when proton happened.

All of my 200 games work natively or through proton.

Even my AAA GTAV EU4 Cities:skylines Civ 5/6 ESO DMC5

FreeBSD or gtfo

Attached: 205E441D-C3EF-402D-B962-5ADDB2287473.jpg (540x405, 27K)

Literally just a negotiating tactic to get better pricing from Microsoft. Korea will drop opensores as soon as MS gives them a better deal.

>The government

Government? South Korean government?? lmao.

Who the flying fuck gives a fook about So. Korea?!?! A nation built and protected by the USA, and would instantly be NK's bitch the moment the USA collapses.

They are bluffing to get a better deal with M$ idiots.

pulse audio is better than windows 10 audio, has more granular control to split outputs across different programs, remembers your settings, all kinds of shit

Features mean nothing when it fails at its sole job of simply outputting audio without shitting itself and crackling all the time when you use something even slightly out of the ordinary like a bluetooth headphone, pulseaudio is up there with GIMP as one of the shittiest linux "solutions" there are.

>linuxfags eternally grasping at straws for proof that non autists like their OS
What straws? The only market that hasn't been completely dominated it's desktop and that has been slowly rising as well.

Nice vague bullshit. I don't know who uses Bluetooth headphones while on their PC first of all and how did you conclude that it's a problem on Linux? Also, Bluetooth audio is still in its infancy.
>pulseaudio is up there with GIMP as one of the shittiest linux "solutions" there are
Not sure what you mean by this, but Krita is a very popular drawing software and it's not an inferior alternative. I don't think GIMP is either, it's just different.

>kernel desktop

Attached: 1483896119393.jpg (300x300, 23K)

t. GNU/Nigger.

>I don't know who uses Bluetooth headphones while on their PC first of al
And that's the problem with your and most freetards' mentality, anything even slightly out of the ordinary must be a retard or troll using it wrong.

>first of all and how did you conclude that it's a problem on Linux
Because it works fine on every single machine except the one with pulseaudio, changing pulseaudio settings only changes the frequency of crackling.

how many of these horror stories were because some dipshit with no concept of technology came along and decided to do everything in-house rather than pay for an LTS like Red Hat?

>grasping at straws
>doesn't back up claim with .0000037 seconds of research
don't be such a cuck, recognize when you've lost.

Attached: Screenshot (4).png (1124x634, 88K)

>S. Korean government to switch to Linux: ministry

lel, yeah right, S.Korea still uses activex for fucks sake.

I'll give them a week before users and sysadmins alike have a meltdown and they switch back to Windows.
Users because nothing looks the same and there is no Excel, Word, etc.
Sysadmins cause somehow there still isn't anything like GPO or AD.

>Sysadmins cause somehow there still isn't anything like GPO or AD.
Now that I think about it, is there a freetard equivalent to this?

Depends on your definition of equivalent. People will bring up FreeIPA or whatever the fuck it's called and something starting with Z but both lack even the most basic features and aren't even close to being an alternative. So from a purely enterprise point of view, no there isn't.

Well I am rather surprised, I thought Linux would be ahead of MS on this.

>I don't know who uses Bluetooth headphones while on their PC first of al
>And that's the problem with your and most freetards' mentality, anything even slightly out of the ordinary must be a retard or troll using it wrong.
But see, you're still bullshitting and not actually explaining what's wrong in your case.
>first of all and how did you conclude that it's a problem on Linux
>Because it works fine on every single machine except the one with pulseaudio, changing pulseaudio settings only changes the frequency of crackling.
Thanks for repeating the same vague bullshit.

Nope, not even close.

Well, color me fucking shocked. I always assumed that AD was some hacky shit that MS stole from the UNIX world, the more you know I guess.

Nah the lack of anything AD or GPO is just another gaping flaw in the daily year of the loonix desktop thread.

Saying a bluetooth device constantly crackles with pulseaudio and only pulseaudio is not vague, what happens is as simple as that, if I actually wanted tech support I would naturally be providing technical details in the proper tech support channels but that's not the point of the discussion at all, the point is that something that simple and fundamental should be working without issues and shouldn't need tech support and customized fiddling by the user.

>something starting with Z
ZENworks is what you are looking for.

And yeah, in the linux world you are stuck with half assed solutions like FreeIPA or rolling your own via OpenLDAP.

Not fun.

I'm pretty sure you're just retarded, user.
Linux audio is perfectly fine and works, in my experience, better than Windows, and I have no boot issues whatsoever.
Stop using Ubuntu or ancient debian.

Attached: 63902954_p0.png (847x600, 300K)

>dude you clicked the connect button wrong
It's always hilarious seeing the lengths people go to defend lack of polish, it's also terrible how the usual bluetooth services don't even try to connect to trusted devices in search mode when the service boots, only when the service is already on before the device was turned on.

nice strawman
really got me there, huh?

Attached: 1447353210663.png (209x508, 74K)

linux is for servers

they have good offers for multiple machines, and having sysadmins mantaining CentOS would be fine too