What is the usefulness of using something like Powershell or Bash...

What is the usefulness of using something like Powershell or Bash? What would be the reason for someone to learn how to use them and what are they capable of?

Attached: 1530491964312.png (1200x450, 41K)

Speed, everything's in one place, verbose output,maybe other things.

But what can it do that I can't do using another language and a file explorer?

Do you know what a shell is?

Attached: y88jez0rsli21.jpg (957x621, 71K)

n-no

>another language
Yes
>file explorer
No

Kinda hard to explain bash & co. to someone who has absolutely no use case for it. On my home PC, which I use mainly for gaming, I have no need for it. At work - it's a necessity.

> I need to quickly list all specific humidity model data from 2015 onwards, except for all April and October months, and I need the total number of files as well as their size and how many timesteps are in each file
This is a couple of lines in bash/zsh/whatever, and I have no clue how that could be done easier and simpler with any other means, while retaining the flexibility of a shell..

Powershell is powerful as fuck, anything that can be configured with a GUI can be done with it. MS did a very good job with it.

The point is, instead of having to click in a million sub-menus and menus, you write a single line and you're done. It also makes monitoring and scripting more easy.

Bash is posix-compliant shell with a bunch of non-standard additions that only became "standard" because of it's utter ubiquity, every modern *NIX system has bash installed by default.

Powershell was explicitly designed to copy POSIX shell concepts but in a horrible over-verbose way to guarantee that NOBODY would ever want to use it.

>not using Pajava and Pajeetshell
Not-Going-To-Make-It

So if I wanted to, say, write a script where I extract all the files in a folder, move all the extracted files into one folder, and delete all the zip files, it can be done? Think I'm getting it now, thanks Jow Forums

They're useful for scripting and other things. I don't have any experience with PowerShell. Bash is a program that offers an interpreter so you can use it to make simple programs quickly without compiling. It's not hard to use it. I find that it's easier to just use the command line for certain things.

Braindead questions like these really take the cake.

Well if you know how to use a unix shell you can actually use a server, for one thing. Good luck running a web server or any other kind of server without knowing at least a little bit about it. But even if you don't need it for things like that it's far more flexible than a GUI file manager. It's far more convenient for doing things that core utilities or other programs on your computer are designed do for you than a programming language.
moving, extracting and deleting files can all be done with a single command. That would be like a single line, wouldn't require a full blown script.

Of course, that's child's play. Even regular old ass batch scripting could do that.

unzip *.zip
rm *.zip
mv * folder/

You can automatically copy all mkvs to mp4s so you can throw the mp4 on to a site for learning Japanese. Thanks powershell

use python

bash/shell is basically like interfacing directly with your computer instead of navigating some bloated GUI system

mkvs are NOT mp4s!

it really isn't
that be more like entering CPU opcodes directly, frame by frame as the CPU waits for the next instruction

ok so for a beginner what i said is a way to understand it mr technicalfaggot

i don't think you fully appreciate just how bloated shell scripting actually is over a normal compiled software

>Luke Smith drone

look im just trying to explain to OP why people use CL, it doesnt need to be some pissing competition

Automation and easy provisioning.

I should add these
- universal approach for doing stuff on different systems
- shell is a great tool for automation
- it is also very good for making changes in massive amount of files

echo "OP is a retard and a faggot" >> internetfails
pkill -9 OP