/hsg/ Home Server General

Home server thread
Snuffed Weeb Edition

NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>A T T E N T I O N:
>The /hsg/ wiki is up!
hsg.shortlink.club/

Please expand it, also don't use your real name or any password when you register. Preferable use cock.li or something anonymous. Or just email the admin with the username and password you want.

>Links
server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J (embed)
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org

previous thread:

Attached: 1534195255371.png (805x634, 557K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/40hara/status/1126803799740313601
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yay /hsg/! im off for a design meeting then going to clear paths, don't die before I get back!

want to use wallabag but it isn't working

Attached: 1539581657262.jpg (1024x1024, 61K)

Have you tried the official docker container instead?

Attached: 1533325570750.png (470x291, 182K)

Post your servers, cuties.

Attached: 1558431568095.png (240x240, 14K)

Attached: s-l225.jpg (225x225, 5K)

It ain't much, but at least it won't make the electricity companies rich.

Attached: odroid_hc1.png (1300x867, 761K)

Works on my server

Attached: d630.jpg (1041x815, 264K)

Attached: 2019-05-21-165503_623x271_scrot.png (623x271, 28K)

Nice RAM

Attached: 1530488540706.png (1920x1080, 1017K)

what would one need this much memory for? it's not like anyone in here owns a SAP HANA db

Just got my chink "dual x79" mobo in from China, 6 days to the UK.
Bunch of drives and shit running OMV, a bunch of dockers and a VM or two

Attached: IMG_20190519_112125.jpg (3648x2736, 2.82M)

>huananzhi
That shit looks fun. How do these function? Do you just buy old Xeons and that chink value board and it just werks™? Is it some kind of inside tip to make leverage of legacy CPUs?

Attached: 1541572364362.jpg (1280x720, 163K)

What felt good

Yep, just throw in a pair of E5 v1or2 xeons and some dirt cheap ddr3 ECC ram
I've got two 2630v2s and 32gb of ram. The rams only dual channel though but I don't notice any difference compared to my old supermicro x8 board

>The rams only dual channel though
Haha, I wish I had your concerns. For a storage server that is quite good enough. What drives, just plain SATA?

sp: Aya having her snatch rubbed.

Attached: 1556392110175.jpg (964x1200, 131K)

Plain old spinning disks ranging from 500Gb 2.5in's to a 5Tb parity drive (for snapraid) and a 128gb nvme from my parents old laptop that they spilt coffee on to house the dockers and vm's.
I'm happy with it so far. Mobo, cpus, ram, PSU and coolers cost me £225ish and the rest was leftover from my last server.
Tried unraid and it's really good but it's nothing I can't do in plain Linux myself and save £70

IT'S NOT WORKING

Pretty elegant if that's all you need, actually.

yesh and thanks, hardkernel really makes cute SBCs

don't need more than regular dns, dnscrypt, https, sftp, ssh and smb

Attached: IMG_20190514_210316.jpg (4128x3096, 3.71M)

I guess you could always steal the config files unraid drops and check the installed packages. Do they seriously charge this much? Anyway comfy setup, good even those old drives see use. I wish those mainboards were more easily available where I live.

Sauce me in that case

Technology Jow Forums1393520/d0f8b1e65e/

Attached: 1545697991733.jpg (3498x3499, 500K)

still the same old setup

Attached: rack.jpg (756x1344, 252K)

but here is some proof that im actualy working on a new server room.

2x 42U this time, only one installed so far to ease the cabling work.

Attached: newrack1.jpg (3456x5184, 836K)

That's a lot of hentai and JAV spinning there

Attached: 1549283336466.gif (320x240, 1.49M)

Still working on the HVAC for now, will also need to pull around 10 more copper network cables and 3 more fibers through the house before its up and running.

Attached: newrack2.jpg (5184x3456, 1.05M)

not even a single byte

>2x 42U
That's a lot of computers / drives.

boring then, tell me at least that it is for a home cinema

Attached: 1557331302763.jpg (571x548, 57K)

one of the racks will probably be dedicated to my NTP stuff (rubidium frequency standards and perhaps a hydrogen maser or caesium fountain if i can get one)

You actually need

Need is a big word, been running a stratum 1 and 2 for ages, just want to make it more stable, a hobby that has run a bit out of hand basically.

>all this shit
>only like 10 network cables
>most of which probably go to the servers
why

cause its a home server?
where do you want me to pull cables to?

>But MOM you dont understand! I NEED a FULL TOWER

How many KW does this require?

I should point out that there is a 48 port cisco in the back that has some more cables plugged in, the enterasys in the front is just for testing purposes.

Should I use RAID 5 or JBOD for my vm disks that store nothing important?

>6x 3680 Watt three-phase AC lines
autism

Attached: 1550523924334.jpg (804x720, 195K)

>no generator
>no halon
What a pleb

raspi case to house the raspi + 1x 2.5 ssd? I move it often and keeping it seperate including cables gets annoying fast.

don't be so presumptuous, there is a generator.
you are right about the halon though.

That's just to even the load on the phases, 3x 16A 1P+N per rack.
Also, I'm and electrician so why would I skimp out on that shit.

will take another pic one day

Attached: DSCN1269.jpg (2133x8000, 2.6M)

Get ya helium memes and sell legacy. Those 9 pi's could already net you 90-180€ depending on what model if dedusted and micro SD.

Attached: 1527338866163.png (894x1026, 1.03M)

I just stream anime and movies from the 8tb external drive. DD-WRT firmware for router.

Attached: LAN_.jpg (1152x864, 254K)

Is that one of these that often have cheap 50% offers? I'm jelly .w.

Fuck OpenBSD

Attached: 1519067968021.png (3420x1923, 1.3M)

I'm not going to smack talk you only because of these feet.

Attached: 1553210882555.gif (220x207, 218K)

I got everything fairly cheap

Got R7000 for $40 from craigslist
Got 8tb drive during black friday for $100
W510 is an extra computer I just have around. May be replaced with a Renegade Pro SBC in the future.

My coworker has all of the movies and anime on his own server so that is my only backup unfortunately.
Currently using nearly 7TB so Ill need a real solution eventually.

>have nginx on Debian
>create symlink in htdocs to /home/user/Videos
>move to openBSD
>recreate setup with httpd, disabling chroot jail of course
>httpd is too slow to stream video
>Install nginx
>once again disable chroot jail with -u flag
>speed is fine but I get a 403 on subdirectories in the symlink despite it working fine on httpd and Debian's version of nginx
I don't know what's wrong with it.

Attached: 1533109080526.jpg (2097x3000, 1.13M)

Aren't BSDcvcks those who use literally every intel hardware security fix because of "muh security"?

Where are the HAMR and MAMR drives with 20TB they promised us? Needing no more helium in the low 10tb range would be good too.

>Where are the HAMR and MAMR drives with 20TB they promised us?
Everyone says they'll have them some time this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make it.

And if they make it, I'm going to guess the supply is going to get gobbled up by "the cloud" storage as a service that most people use these days indirectly or directly, leading to higher cost per TB than with smaller drives for a year or more.

At least that's my guess.

I'd go with RAID5 if you have to ask.

It's ultimately still just one extra drive in the whole array, and you don't have to make really really sure you always resist the temptation to have anything important on there.

Very peculiar - but sure, running a Stratum 1 and 2 is nice, I guess.

>Everyone says they'll have them some time this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make it.
Yeah corresponds with the production decrease in brushless dc motors for HDDs that was reported.

What's with that arrogant disgusted gaze? More!

Attached: 1555602624861.png (2090x3300, 2.65M)

Not that hard anymore at all with GPS modules ranging from 3 - 50 bucks now with various polling times and precision.

Did you ever return?

Attached: 1539779672021.jpg (3296x3000, 302K)

How do you deal with DDoS attacks and other annoying stuff? I'm under some sort of attack on my private home network where I host my server, I locked everything down from outside world and blocked ping responses and attack still persists

what kind of attacks?
i'd say just wait them out or try to change your ip if you can

Use non-standard SSH ports in the upper 10000-60000 range?

I fixed it.

I used `location ~ /videos/` instead. I think Debian allowed `location = /videos/*` or something. I don't know, might be a quirk of the OBSD fork.

He's more contemptuous girls since I'm in a good mood: twitter.com/40hara/status/1126803799740313601

Attached: file.png (1000x1412, 1.01M)

have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?

cant wait for season 2 of this anime
doujins great too

That actually helps with some attackers if they timeout.

Thank you, I enjoy their disgust for me.

drop one if it has feet

Attached: 1533855094272.gif (320x240, 1.52M)

>season 2
You mean for Re:Zero right? The maids are from different anime.

maid is from iya na kao sare nagara opantsu misete moraitai

I did indeed - design meeting let to me having a rather lucrative (by my standards) set of design jobs and £150 in my pocket as a starter - desu job is going to take better part of 6 months I think - editting, typesetting and formating a 3-400page book.

Path clearing was fun - 27m of path edges done.

nothing on tomorrow so will faff around with pi cluster i think

Attached: 079.jpg (3456x4608, 2.66M)

>I think - editting, typesetting and formating a 3-400page book
That sounds like thankful work. Will the extra money go in hardware or just to live?

Why is RAID-5 still faster than RAID-1, or am I mistaken?

Thanks, there is something about maids.

Attached: __reika_reika_wa_karei_na_boku_no_maid_drawn_by_gustav_telomere_na__fd3a87a3f972746d7ba57517fcc9caf8 (886x1200, 762K)

one episode is about the maid
others are: nurse, nun, idol, schoolgirl, shrine maiden

aye, biggest I've done before is a 120pp poetry book, that went pretty good, made the charity it was for around £3k, so will be a fun job.

Probably use half to increase my savings - half on hardware. Definitely bump NAS storage, upgrade my workstation if i get a LOT. I'd love an x86 cluster - something like 10 z8350's or the like.

See how it goes.

wasn't my cup of tea - but I did enjoy 'one room' that was in that PoV style as well - very olev.

Ahh, okay. I assumed they were all from different anime.

I just upgraded HDD in my server by doing the following
>plug in old smaller hdd
>plug in new bigger hdd
>create same partitions on new hdd as on old one
>rsync -arvl /hdd/old /hdd/new
>grub-install
>grub-mkconfig
Its working but I feel like its not the right way to do it. Should I reinstall the OS in cases like this and copy only the files or do something different?

Is there a realistic option for a sub-10W power consumption small home server that doesn't have an arm-processor? Doesn't need much performance, but seriously fuck arm and fuck me.

Proxmox is magic

You're doing it pretty much right. Do take care to replace the device entries in /etc/fstab with UUID's to ensure you boot from the partitions you want if you add/move disks.

I made the newb mistake of moving like a terabyte worth of files right after building my home server. My SSD Cache Drive reached 100% capacity and hit 74c, which is over it's maximum operating temperature. Has it likely suffered permanent damage?

>Why is RAID-5 still faster than RAID-1, or am I mistaken?
Depends on your array, but it's very possibly not too relevant.

However RAID5 has better storage efficiency.

> moving like a terabyte worth of files right after building my home server
Shouldn't be a problem.

> My SSD Cache Drive reached 100% capacity and hit 74c, which is over it's maximum operating temperature. Has it likely suffered permanent damage?
No clue. It's not like I think the SSD should get hot even under operation; it should only have to disperse about 2W or less and that isn't exactly difficult. Plus it probably should have temperature sensors.

One thing to add onto this is that RAID 5 has some terrible rebuild times not to mention write speeds. For archives and read heavy intensive files though, RAID 5 or 6 is your best bet but beware of your drive/array size.

Larger drives and array size means longer rebuild times, which means more chances for your other drives to die due to strain. Personally, I'd go with RAID 6 over RAID 5 if you can help it since it has a 2 drive failure tolerance over 1.

You'd lose an additional drive but you slightly decrease the chances of your storage shitting itself. Or course, RAID != backup, it just ensures failure tolerance and space.

If you plan on running any sort of application or database storage though I would really consider RAID 10 for write performance.

>archives and read heavy intensive files
i can agree on the second part but archives and backups i think snapraid is better suited
you still get parity (if you configure 1-6 drives as parity drives) and probably slow rebuild times but access to data on each drive is not dependent on the others working
plus you can easily add additional drives to it whenever needed

>RAID 5 has some terrible rebuild times
No. It rebuilds at like 80-90% of the replaced drive's own speed on consumer hardware.

> not to mention write speeds
Nope again, even on consumer hardware you should be able to run it at multiple drive's speeds. Sure, you won't run it as fast as the summed up individual speeds of all drives would theoretically allow, but it'll be quite okay even on cheap hardware.

Basically, you're wrong. I'm not sure if you're thinking of ZFS's slower RAIDZ or just channeling the situation from 25 years ago or something, but it makes little sense now.

first time poster

picrel is my current servers:
- pi is being used for DNS (and eventually VPN when i stop being lazy). mainly set up as my "dont fuck with this or access to your home network is fucked" machine
- the celeron machine is a nuc with a very sketchy usb3 raid enclosure (3x3tb drives in raid5). its my main server right now running transmission, openvpn, nextclout (+ a mariadb instance for it), doku wiki, influxdb+grafana for monitoring, airsonic, emby, gogs (+ abstuse for ci stuff). im actually pretty impressed by how well it handles all of this
- the hp machine i just recently got and i plan on using it for testing shit + game servers. havrnt finished setting it up yet

Attached: hsg.png (1468x979, 1.55M)

the real problem with parity raid on modern consumer drives is the uncorrectable read error rate. the probability you will have at least one happen during rebuild is not low with a 2TB+ disk. depending on how the implementation deals with this, it can either mean just that block is fucked or you lose the whole array.

disks are cheap, raid10 or bust.

>disks are cheap, raid10 or bust
>muh speeds
Nah man, if I have 4 drives i can go raid-5. It's always a decision between 1 or 5. screw meme hybrid modes

I'm retiring server at work, he was a good boy, press F to pay respect.

>Original Install Date: 21.12.2007, 6:19:48
>System Up Time: 184 Days, 1 Hours, 40 Minutes, 59 Seconds
>System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
>System Model: PowerEdge 2950

You only loose one block with every sensible implementation (and really, you probably just want to use Linux' mdadm RAID for RAID).

Apart from that, RAID10 isn't safer either, because it also only has one other copy. You're just wasting more space to get very slightly lower access latencies and maybe slightly lower CPU loads (do you care?)

On top of that, let's make it clear that *one* URE isn't usually a problem on RAID5 or RAID10.
See, in the situation of an URE, the array knows which drive was affected, so it can basically just use the "other copy" of that data (in RAID5 it's of course hidden in the erasure coding - its still there).

You'd have to have two of these low probability URE happen in the same chunk before you even loose that chunk. And if your data is so valuable that you need to protect against that, you obviously are going to RAID6 anyhow (probably even multiple fullly time staggered backups copies on other RAID6 or equivalent arrays on top of the primary RAID6)

F

>write speeds

Doesn't look bad to me, 13 y/o 3x15krpm sas drives.

Attached: 15k-raid5.png (406x364, 18K)

F

Does anyone else manage their DNS/DHCP outside of their home router for their home network? I just finished setting up AD/DNS for my VMware vSAN/NSX lab and was playing with the idea of setting up a DHCP server to serve my whole network instead of my home router. Seems like more operational overhead than just letting the router do it.

Not ready yet but this is my kubernetes cluster running on odroid xu4qs :3

Attached: Screenshot_20190523-194352_Gallery~2.png (1080x1391, 2.29M)

lmao, unless you're on openwrt, where does your router run dnssec and dnscrypt both?

Kind of find an answer to my question, in case anyone is interested. The easiest option would be a small thinkpad like the x230 w/o screen. Should idle at around 7W, also easy to maintain hardware-wise.

>10W power consumption small home server that doesn't have an arm-processor
A MIPS based router could probably do this.

I don't see the advantage over ARM though.

fuck selecting xeons