So what do you guys think about the PlayStation® 2 home computer?

So what do you guys think about the PlayStation® 2 home computer?
It runs GNU/Linux.

Attached: linux.jpg (663x480, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lukasz.dk/)
psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It even runs Gentoo!

>tfw had the network adapter for years and never got around to installing Linux
I've even got like 8 PS2s from a cluster I never got around to making

It was cool shit, the PS3 supported linux as well. Biggest issue was the system RAM was just so little you couldn't do much with it other than use it as a computing unit of a cluster.

>tfw bought a PS3 specifically for OtherOS support only to find out they'd dropped it

If you replace the HDD on a fatty PS3 and pick up the version before they dropped it you can still do it. 3.21 is when they removed it.

I've got a super slim now, last I checked there was nothing you could do with them homebrew-wise. I'll just buy an outdated fat when I get around to wanting to try it out again

They dropped it on the first slim model due to "not wanting to support the hypervisor across hardware lines". In all likelihood though it was due to the fatty was sold at a loss and since some universities were buying up hundreds of fatties and clustering them up as cheap super computers Sony was losing big.

The unis were cutting deals with Sony, they weren't just scooping up retail models. For example, the infamous Air Force cluster models were sold without optical drives since they weren't necessary

>universities were buying up hundreds of fatties and clustering them up as cheap super computers
and it was beautiful

>got a PS2 for xmas 2001
>it still works

thanks Mom and Dad, I miss you

It would be amazing if people weren't selling it for +£150, and that if there was iso's online but alas its either me being a mong and not being able to search the right terms, or there isn't any copies out there (the pirate bay has then but no seeders been like that for years)

Black Rhino Linux

Looked it up, but I tried to install it and just booted in to a non functional cli (I know I'm probably a massive brainlet)

There are guides all over

I'll have another go when my chink tier network adapter comes as the current chink tier adapter is ide and don't have a ide drive, not since like 2010, but yeah following a guide would be a help for me instead of just going with the flow

The game development systems used Linux as well. Somebody has a video about them on YouTube.

>chink tier network adapter
Generally those only support the HDD and don't actually function as a network adapter.
>don't have a ide drive
You can get official SATA adapters (without the NIC), chink adapters for the PATA adapter for SATA, and SATA to PATA adapters

Yeah, atleast when I had a Dtl-t 10000 it ran a custom version of red hat. Really good machines desu, but theres this which I have used and installed(lukasz.dk/) it's the guy who makes Ps2 sdk make sure you go through the issues to find the doxy file make by someone (the issue mentions documentation in the title) and that'll make it easier than going through code to find something

Got a PS1 July 1997 from my father before he died unexpectedly.

>I miss you Dad. I understand that you were so hard on us only because you wanted us to succeed where you failed, and didn't know any other way to do it. I forgive you.

Don't use it to connect online not with how old the software is anyway, plus it's easier to spend £8 from China to get a data, rather than £20 for a converter

Forgot to add - it still purrs like a kitten

Games are one thing but you want to install Linux. You're shutting down your opportunities for even local connectivity with a chink adapter. Not to mention you won't be able to play PS2 games off network shares

I get what you mean, but I have a slim for network sharing, but it would be nice with official adapter but means you have to spend alot more than chink adapters

>a lot more
You're talking pocket change vs. pocket change. How are you finding network adapters for that much anyway? Last I checked officials went for $10 a piece and the £ was worth more than the $. Is shit that overpriced in Bongistan?

I mean it's not much in the grand scheme of things, but again it's me being a mong and completely blanking the cheaper ones, or that scalpers are everywhere.

And just a general note, if anyone can find a link to the official Linux disks It would be helpful

Ironic that a game machine runs an OS that cannot play games. Amazin

a modded PS2 with a drive installed is probably the best console on earth

Plural. Nothing comfier than using systems never intended to have such functionality to load and save games from/to network shares

Pretty much this. Not even the original xbox can boot games from a network share.

I bought a fat like 2 weeks ago it's pretty comfy, I use it for vidya tho, you can make it output 1080p via homebrew

rate my opl theme :3

Attached: IMG_20190502_222856_1.jpg (4452x2604, 1.51M)

also forgot to mention if you get a usb bt adapter you can use dualshock 3 and 4 controlelrs with opl

sniff sniff

Pulled my PS2 slim out of the garage, optical drive is fucked so I just gutted it, slapped in some LEDs scrubbed the plastic case till it looked like new. Now I have FMCB and OPL/OPL Daily Build, playing my backups and bootleg ROMs off my FreeNAS in 1080i. I'd like my son to grow up with my favorite PS1/PS2 titles from the golden age of vidya. Thank God for homebrew.

can you recommend me some games to paly i got fairly far into nfs undergorund 2 and got bored of it

Attached: 58617403_p8.jpg (600x420, 72K)

>1080i
yikes

Install and play PCSX2

I'm not much into racing games but I liked Burn out Revenge a lot. I play RPGs mostly, recently I've played Musashi Samurai Legend, Valkyrie Profile 2, Drakengard, and Disgaea Hour of Darkness.
My TV has a deinterlacer that actually works pretty well, so I output 1080i@60 and get 1080p@30 and it works better for offloading that processing from the console so I have fewer dropped frames.

you say yikes that amazing considering it outputs 480 by default

>tfw I fell for the slim is better meme
How do you get freemcboot on the slim models?

Attached: 8sl2j93h2bz21.jpg (1080x1249, 137K)

Install it on the USB and plug it in

How does this work?
You need FCB to install things from USB flash drive.

I'd fall for this babe's meme...

i think you can make a freemcboot installer disk and do a disc swap

Slim models doesn't allow disc swap.

If your slim isn't chipped then you need to get another MC with FreeMcBoot installed and boot from that one in order to install it to your own MC.

You can do a disc swap on a slim but it requires a mod to trick the two or three lid sensors. Alternatively you can pick up an 8MB FMCB memcard for 5 to 10 USD off eBay. Don't get any larger than 8MB tho, if you're planning to do a network share via OPL, you can make virtual memory cards that get mounted with every game and you'll never need a physical card.

rest in peace, anons father ;-;

what do i need to do for her to pee in my mouth

To build off this, certain games are fussy with virtual memory cards, and will either crash or refuse to notice its exsistance

It works on any except SCPH-9XXX

I hear that since Sony never officially made larger memcards some games don't support greater than 8MB cards anyway. So use an 8MB FMCB and an 8MB mem card for games that can't into virtual cards

The Nintendo Switch™ PC/tablet hybrid.

Attached: nintendo-switch-linux.jpg (630x841, 152K)

Yeah, that's perfectly fine to do, just becomes a bit of a hassle to have multiple storage mediums with you when you move consoles.

Sony did authorise memory cards more than 8mb, there were made by katana (don't quote me there) you had a switch that you could move to access the other 8mb bank

A few years ago the Air Force build a cluster out of PS2's for missile tracking or something another. It could track like a gazillion moving objects at once they said. It probably became deprecated in like 5 months.

PS3 my bad

Attached: PlayStation3-Supercomputer.jpg (702x336, 102K)

rest comfy user's dad

I had Yellow Dog on my PS3, it was able to run Doom and Quake II. But then so was a 486DX2 from 1990 fucking 4.

>unexpectedly
Maybe to you. I expected him to kill himself after having a faggot son like you.

Read about this, the biggest reason they did it was it was about $400 per unit vs $10k for the equivalent CPU power at the time plus much less power usage. They put almost 2000 of them together.

And sony rekt them.

RIP in peace user's dad

You can run CFW on any model now, as of just a month or 2 ago

Here's mine.
export PS2='\[$(tput bold)$(tput setaf 3)\]>\[$(tput sgr0)\]'

It didn't help that the hypervisor locked guest operating systems out from the RSX

>4.84
Shit I was worried about being on 4.81, thanks for the tip. Today's going to be a good day

PS3 is better

>Super Slim
PS3 HEN, released some time ago. You can't install a CFW, but can run tons of homebrews and pirate games.

Neat. Do you know if the models without the PS2 hardware handle emulation alright? Or do I need to get an older model if I want to run OPL?

>white on white
retarded weeb

Works on any slims other than 9000X, you have to modchip these.

The emulation works by basically injecting ISOs on the PS2 Classics package, it's decent, a good chunk of games work without issues, but some are straight up broken. There's a compatibility list, check it out:
psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List

Oh so it's like on the PSP where you use the official emulator for PS1 games?

We unlocked the RSX RAM (not the actual GPU) but it hardly made a difference as it was just a slightly less shit than HDD swap partition. I did have it running pretty sweet at one point, even managed a few GIMP photoshop contest entries back in the day.

Attached: YDLrocked.jpg (1200x680, 242K)

>tfw you can even use DS3 and DS4 controllers over Bluetooth on the PS2 now
I love this console

Yes, unless you have a backwards compatible PS3, of course. Just so you know, PS1 games are also emulated, but you don't need to inject anything, just mount the disk image.

wtf how

OPL with a USB Bluetooth adapter

switch linux sucks atm, people released a new build which finally has working audo and vulkan but the touch drivers for it are awful comapred to natinsulas old builds, it'd be fine if usb otg works but it doesn't so you can only really use it when docked

Attached: 0a613558380d71094e51819b669bb8e7.png (1028x719, 2.82M)

fpbp

>tfw the PS3 only has a SATA II interface

You actually need to get the latest OPL Daily build, the normal release doesn't seem to have the feature. Also you need to have a compatible USB BT dongle. Plug the DS3/DS4 into the console using the other USB, launch OPL Daily, go to the options for your game, and there are options to pair your controller and test if your dongle is compatible or not.

I wish I got a meaningful amount of speed out of mine with an SSD

Fucking installing games over FTP is a nightmare with the slow writes

I'd suck some dick for a complete PS2 Linux kit.
It sucks but it's doable, I was running a Cobalt Qube 2 with 32 MB recently as my terminal system and it was workable though you'd run out of memory pretty quickly when building from source.

You can get a chink SATA one and try to run that shit

3rd party ones' NICs generally don't work well or at all. If I wanted SATA that badly I can get adapters for official PATA adapters or just use a PATA to SATA adapter with a 2.5" drive

Cringe

How

SATA II should still be more than enough to saturate a GbE connection though

not saying you shouldnt do this to explore your hardware, but i used yellowdog linux on ps3 when this happened. it ran basically like shit.