Who here /poor computing/?

Who here /poor computing/?
>browsing through youtube
>see tech channel with something titled like "Super Old Poor Computer Find will it run? HOW THE FUCK COULD ANYONE STILL BE USING THIS IN 2019?!?"
>Look at video then look at my desktop and its the same computer. In fact their computer has more ram and a graphics card. My monitor is also VGA only and held together by tape since the base broke.

Sitting at 3gb (2gb stick and 1 gb stick with only 2 DDR2 ram slots), no graphics card, running win 7 and happy as can be. It does everything I need it to do from Jow Forums to 8 chan and youtube and email. For gaming I just use my xbox since I like playing Halo and I can play PC games like fortnite and apex on it without needing a PC.

Attached: 1118014.jpg (400x400, 29K)

k

I have that monitor. It's OK. Colors are surprisingly good, it might be an IPS.

I'm still on a Core 2 Duo and vga monitor. Probably will upgrade soon however.

Core 3 Duo is gut

why did you make this thread again?

Found this mac in a school library dumpster years ago, I'm saving up autismbux for a newer computer.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 3.48.47 PM.png (1280x800, 493K)

Used to have an acer aspire 5250,

AMD E-300 with AMD Radeon 6310 graphics, 256mb out of the 2GB(yes, 2GB) of RAM allotted as vram

Had an old computer my brother nabbed from his high school days (probably about 19 years ago now). Used it for most of my high school years and only marginally upgraded to a similar machine that I could toss a GPU in. Had that for a good few years and only just upgraded into top tier with an i9 and 2080 Ti. Was a good run though.

ur so cool

yep im long done caring about the latest hardware and just use a 2008 thinkpad i got in 2016 for $50. will try not to spend much more than that again if this one ever breaks irreparably

>autismbux
wtf is that?

C O P E

He means welfare, aka, neetbucks

I had some AMD E-350 Compaq. It was fine but in Windows 7 it wouldn't play 720p anime smoothly, so I switched to Xubuntu and played even 1080p anime with mplayer2 (mpv didn't exist back then). Eventually I got into programming thanks to it, got into college for CS and now I have a very good paying programming job.

So thanks mom for buying me a shitty laptop.

core2 crew reporting in.
Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 2
On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
Thread(s) per core: 1
Core(s) per socket: 2
Socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 15
Model name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz
Stepping: 13
CPU MHz: 1725.188
CPU max MHz: 1800.0000
CPU min MHz: 1200.0000
BogoMIPS: 3591.02
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 1024K
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0,1
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl cpuid aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm pti dtherm
runs like a top. i get all my kit used from the local university hospital when they do a surplus sale. i got a mitsubishi monitor in 1280x1024 from them but it burned out so i'm on a dell now with the same res. i cleaned them out of their old ibm mechanical keyboards when they had those but i'm down to the last one now.

I have:
>Dell Optiplex 755
>Intel Core Duo E700
>8gb Ram
>No graphics card

It can do pretty much anything a 'modern' computer can do except watch YouTube/Twitch at 1080p 60fps. But I've stopped using it ever since getting my T420.

Dell 9020 AIO (refurb) : $255
Amazon Basics mouse: $6
Chink Keyboard: : $25
Sub $300 and I'm set until I get over analysis paralysis and finally get on a Ryzen build.

I got this from an off-lease auction... It was $300 last year about this time. I have buyers remorse.

Attached: junk.jpg (1132x602, 156K)

4790 and 16gb ram is pretty good for $300. does it have a gpu?

How well does that thing handle day to day tasks? OSX always struck me as reasonably resource efficient although it does like to suck RAM up if it's available. Good luck saving money bro.

It can browse like 50% of pages, some websites reddit and facebook dont work at all because of how outdated the browser is. I didn't expect a netbook from 2008 to do well for games, but it plays minecraft suprisingly well ~20fps average, the fact that it even works at all is pretty impressive.

Not quite total poorfag any more, but my current builds are:

E5-2650v2 xeon ($50)
Chink matx x79 mobo ($50)
32gb of DDR3 ECC RAM ($25)
Chinkshit power supply tested by Russians to be between 80+ bronze and silver ($15)
Used 4gb RX580 ($40)
Case is the cardboard box the motherboard came in

Laptop is a used i5-4330m chinkshit laptop I picked up on a family holiday in China for about $40. Works well as a NAS since it's a thicc boi with 10,000 usb ports.

Based. Good luck saving up money bro. I'm trying to do the same thing since I have a shitty 2009 imac.

lol!

Attached: Capture.png (650x518, 38K)

americans and chinks will do this because where they live parts are dirt cheap and/or easy to get

Shipping for used chink parts to where I live is jack shit as well.

I used to be poor computing, my PC was a Dell Optiplex 780 with 4gb of ram and a Pentium using integrated graphics, I later got a HD 5450 for it, I ran Mac OS X on it and it was a pretty based PC, I kinda miss it

>32gb of DDR3 ECC RAM ($25)
Unreal

How do you get ram this cheap whats the catch? Im seeing 8GB ram for $25

The catch is you have to have a 'board that supports it, and it's also slightly slower than regular RAM.

just buy a cheap core 2 quad off ebay

The catch is it's DDR3, ECC also increases latency.
However access to cheap DDR3 is why the chinks make a bunch of 1151 motherboards which support DDR3, the cheap way to get 8700 performance used to be one of those + DDR3 ECC RAM + an ES E-2146G or the like.
However used X79 xeons are cheap, even some X99 ones (the more commonly used ones) are becoming cheap. However I expect ryzen 3rd gen to impact the used xeon market a fair bit.

>although it does like to suck RAM up if it's available.
It's called cache, you can see the actual VS cached usage.

I'm using a Dell Latitude D630 as my only computer, and an iPhone 3G S as my only phone.

Specs of the D630:
>Core 2 Duo T9300
>nVidia Quadro NVS 120m (piece of shit)
>8GB of RAM
>80GB HDD + 320GB HDD
>1400x900 screen
>Extended battery
>Windows 8.1 Pro

I got it for £20 and upgraded it quite a bit. I even replaced a few of the keyboard caps when they broke. The colour of the donor keys doesn't match the originals, but they work just fine. It does everything I need except play 1080p video. The GPU really is a piece of shit, I have no idea what's wrong with it, but it hasn't died yet, or even showed any signs of failure.

The iPhone is a 16GB model in white, with non-jailbroken iOS 6.1.6. I've had it since 2011 and back then it was the shit, second only to the Galaxy S and the iPhone 4. Can't do a whole lot with it these days, except make / receive phone calls and texts, e-mails, browse and post on forums, and use Google / Apple Maps.

Why? Thats a great deal...

Based. Phenom II here

>tfw comfy Thinkpad X200 for €100, core2 duo 2.4ghz, 4gigs ram and an 120gig SSD
>does literally everything I want

I'm never buying a PC over €200 again.

There's a ton of hacks out there to push it to High Sierra.

Not sure if I count:

Desktop:

Intel Core i7 2600 (non-k) FSB OC'd to 3.9ghz
2.5tb HDD's (1+1.5tb)
16gb of DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte r9 270 (non-x OC'd to X)
MSI Mobo
S340 NZXT Case

PC 2:
Mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15 inch, core i7 4gb of ram, Nvidia dGPU 240gb SSD

PC 3:
Thinkpad t420, base model. Shit battery

PC 4:
iMac 12,2 (mid 2011) 27" High Sierra (and stuck there thanks applel) 4gb of RAM and an i5 and 1tb of RAM

I have a lot of old school shit that just kind of works for me.

I got a free core2duo imac that's got 4 gigs of ram and a slightly faster processor. I put xubuntu in it instead and it's pretty usable for basic things and old games.

Thinking of:

Grabbing an Ivy Bridge K (or even non-k not sure) off of ebay an installing it on the desktop PC, and then taking that 2600 non-k and installing it on the iMac, maybe some more RAM for the iMac and turning it into a very pretty Linux machine running Elementary OS or something similar for that macOS aesthetic.

The T420 requires a bios mod to do anything worthwhile to it which requires a SOIC clip or some shit so I might just leave that alone. Maybe an SSD if I can get it on special.

MBP, might sell it but it has a dead USB port, bad battery (that last 7 hours somehow), and is missing a couple of screws because I've repaired it so many times.

>It does everything I need it to do

correction

>I can only do things it allows me to do and I cope very hard
Get a fucking job

Absolutely buyers remorse.

See this guy

That thing is ancient.
You could upgrade your computer by simply getting one from a dumpster or looking online if someone is giving out shit for free.

To be fair an OEM system might very well outlive that chink shit monstrosity

>RX580 ($40)
Is something horribly wrong with it? What the fuck? If I could find a deal like that I'd crossfire them.

Even old.reddit doesn't work?