What's the Jow Forums consensus on Ubuntu?

What's the Jow Forums consensus on Ubuntu?

Attached: 0af7542f965e3c470c12f41a39fbfe98.media.png (1144x801, 186K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CQaEXZ-df6Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

botnet

Used to be a great entry-level distro but now it forces updates so has been superseded by Mint.

Xubuntu is still OK.

utter trash

great distro for beginners. amazon "botnet" takes 2 seconds to remove and the kde, xfce and mate spins are great.

I like it
Ubuntu minimal just werks

Unity was great
Gnome is shit but Ubuntu is still the best Linux for getting shit done

it's fine as long as you install server version and packages that you actually need/use. by default it comes with a lot of bloat but 18.04 introduced minimal installation which is nice. good distro to start with along with mint since you can find answers to problems you encounter easily.

Shit since they switched to GNOME.

It's pretty good.
Jow Forums will hate it because it's popular, because it's 'linux for babies', etc.

Amazon botnet. Good for a first exposure to linux, but no one on Jow Forums should be using it.

uToddlers BTFO

Attached: 1556210633271.gif (540x540, 279K)

I aprove the Ubuntu core, except foe the obvious offending (((packages))) like AppArmor, systemd, Gnome and GIMP.
Xubuntu should be the base distribution with only a few modifications to make it more tasteful to the average user.

Crashed and burned when the decided it was OK to be cucked by Amazon.

Ho ho ho ha ha, ho ho ho he ha. 'Ello, my old chum. I’m gnot an gnelf. I’m gnot a goblin. I’m a gnome. And you’ve been, GNOMED!!!

Attached: gnomed.jpg (220x190, 7K)

People did nothing but shit on unity when it was new. Now I see nothing but praise.

This guy gets it

>default installation makes fan go turbo on both laptops
>promptly formatted and win10'd my machines bc it just werks

we were wrong. Personally I was waiting for the unity 8 rewrite.

Good for beginners but kinda faggy. Use it and then change distro for something else

its linux

good for beginners and people who dont want or dont have time to fuck with configs while having an everyday OS instead of using windows.

with that said, if you use linux for everyday use, youre a loser. linux is best used as a server.

Poor man's Debian that somehow got really popular because it's Debian with training wheels but nowhere near as stable
>bu-but muh ancient debian packages
You can always use Sid, if you know what you're doing. Remember though that stable the the branch that Debian truly cares. Sid works just fine but will never(and doesn't) have the attention that stable has. If you want rolling release you should probably just go with arch.

It was buggy when it was new. Around 2012 it became stabilized. Then people just hated Ubuntu for being the most mainstream Linux Distro

More like noobuntu, amirite?

Fucking retarded /v/ermin doesn't even know when to post Satania. Kill yourself.

It's been 10 years I don't use Ucuntu anymore

Freetards hate it because it's too user friendly.

I installed it on my second drive for shits and giggles and the aliexpress website does not work on any browser I try to visit it on. Based? Maybe, but I'm switching back to Windows

This.

Before 16.04, it was heavy, kinda buggy and you couldn't easily remove the Amazon botnet. But it had really nice features, such as the hud, the global menu and window buttons on the top panel and the compiz animations.

the real redpill

Since Unity was GTK based can't they roll most of that work back into Gnome?

less normalfag than mint but more normalfag than debian

It's fine. Most of the criticism come from people that don't have work to do.

it werks

install Xubuntu instead, and you are good to go and get some real work done

every poojeet on youtube uses ubuntu

Unity is still the one and only Linux DE I kinda liked
I've tried KDE, cinnamon, XFCE and some others and only Unity has the right kind of simplicity while being modern and not acting like it's something from the 90s

I use ElementaryOS on my desktop and GalliumOS on my Chromebook. They're both Ubuntu-based and I like them both. I'm not autistic about software somebody else wrote, just my own work. The weird obsession with other people's software seems a little juvenile to me.

based but fuck GNOME

Ubuntu is not good, at least now I know linux sucks.

lubuntu
lightweight ubuntu is lubuntu
its nice

Neither Unity nor Gnome Shell are GTK based.

True, it’s slowly getting better though. 19.04 seems pretty nice so far. Sucks that they have to pile on a bunch of shitty extensions just to get basic features in Gnome though.

Still nowhere near Unity level. The way panel, menu bar and title bar seamlessly merge or the HUD for example is unmatched.
Too bad GNOME just decided menu bars and titlebars should not exist instead.

Use Xubuntu. It just works.

Get a non-Gnome flavor (Kubutnu, Xubuntu, Mate Ubuntu, etc) and then remove apport, whoopsie, avahi, and software center and then you're good to go

Install Gentoo

I think pop os! is the better version of Ubuntu. Something just feels better about it.

I wish they’d gone with KDE instead. It’s much more like what they want out of a DE, and they could easily mimic Unity in Plasma.

Awesome if you have no idea what you are doing and have a peanut-sized brain.
Terrible if otherwise.

not for work

Perfectly good beginner Linux OS

Ive been on xubuntu 18.04 for two years now and dont see any reason to change. I have been getting annoying updates nearly every day recently. If I do distro hop itll be to debian or devuan.

Ubuntu is pretty good after switching to a regular GNOME desktop environment from Ubuntu's custom version.

All linux is pretty much the same. I don't like the aesthetics of ubuntu though the name sounds like nigger garbage and the desktop looks like a knockoff iphone

The virgin Arch vs the Chad Ubuntu

Based.

I used it for a while and it was fine. However stuff like installing a printer can be a giant pain in the ass. If you need to get work done just use windows. If it's for fun I say go for it.

Point-release distros are a pain in the ass, honestly. People complain about rolling-release having breakages, but point-release distros have a tendency to destroy themselves with every major release upgrade. It's also more of a pain in the ass to source the software you want. Furthermore, 90% of the documentation on Ubuntu is outdated as fuck--the Arch wiki is by far a better resource these days.

As far as GNOME, I honestly don't think it's that bad. It's arguably the most polished DE there is, which is why it's such a terrible shame it's so architecturally garbage and so laughably feature-devoid. But, it's not as bad of an environment as people make it out to be, I can live with it. At least with Canonical's work, it's gotten a lot better.

>thinks amazon is the only botnet in Ubuntu

retards, all you have to do is search some shit running in top and you'll find more botnets.

Bring back Unity

It's just as unreliable and shit as any other modern GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux jumped the shark a few years back and there is no redeeming it now. Been using GNU/Linux since fucking 1998 and I'm goddamn done with it now. It is such a pile of garbage corrupted by incompetence and bullshit from every single side that it's not worth even using any more.

*BSD isn't that much better, but at least it sort of works if you aren't expecting drivers for fucking anything. Macs are complete dumpster fires, and Windows... well, at least you can play fucking games, I guess, which leaves that as the unfortunate default in the modern era of shit OSes. And don't even mention mobile spyware garbage. Fuck that shit.

Someone needs to revolutionize modern computing or this shit is going to crash and burn.

Install Gentoo.

Attached: GNU SLASH LOONIX LMFAO.jpg (300x200, 11K)

Good os to put on your sisters laptop because she's retard and keeps getting viruses

take the Debian pill user.

It just werks

>Debian-Testing = newer packages
>Debian-Unstable = testing but worse
>Debian-Stable = best distro for servers, very stable

Attached: db.jpg (284x177, 3K)

Unity was better. GNOME 3 is shit.

I'm using it as my daily driver and it's pretty okay. I do find myself thinking that maybe some sort of account for Gnome or Ubuntu might be good, something that will automatically pull all my software and extensions when i do a clean install, Kinda like what Android does.

Or is that too botnet?

pile of shit, just use Fedora

>pube for logo

The most straightforward to set up your emacs bootloader.
Comes with a lot of bloat thought.

lol pubian

just werkz (when gnome-shell, gnome-terminal, chrome and emacs)

oh look, an imbecile

tell that to Google and FB

not based

First of all it's Ubuntoddlers second of all cringe.

>offending (((packages))) like AppArmor, systemd, Gnome and GIMP.
wtf

too hard

xfce has tearing

I like it but I don't use Ubuntu's default Gnome. I am warming to Budgie. Xubuntu I like very much.

unstable>>>>testing u dumb ass
testing is the last to receive security updates

spoiler: unstable is stable

It literally just werks
Also the only distro family that works with optimus laptops

Just change DE to whatever you want, you absolute pile of turbo normies.

Attached: 1556867509719.jpg (720x960, 106K)

oof and yikespilled

Unity is discontinued and doesn't work well anymore as it relied on patching the shitpile that is GNOME.

So, tell me, what prevents you from using older versions? Are you under constant attack from cyber hacker men?

>things need updates to keep working well
What a crock of shit
Software doesn't just rot over time, a release of software made 5 years ago will run exactly the same as it did when it was released

epic.
\thread

>security ? what is dat

9855 Mio?!
That's a lot of best girl.

Unity was utter shit bloat. It took my computer about 10 seconds to open the menu. Never used Ubuntu since.

Use MATE. It has an optional panel layout that mimics Unity.

yeah asshat, your music player doesn't need security updates

It needs to bring this back (and a proper working Human theme):
youtube.com/watch?v=CQaEXZ-df6Y

Nigger name, gay colours,

Objectively true.

It's okay. I haven't used it in a while, but last time I did it was still clunky and bloated. Doubt they've fixed it.

The consensus is that linux mint is like a good ubuntu.

It works, so we don't like it.

Ubuntu 10.10 was peak confyness and stability. It's all been downhill from there, althou 12.04 was decent.
Anything after was crap