So what's the Jow Forums approved FLOSS alternative for discord?

so what's the Jow Forums approved FLOSS alternative for discord?
requirements:
>end to end encryption
>synchronized state
>voice call support
>must have desktop and android clients
it would seem to me like matrix is the next best thing, but is there anything else worth looking at?

Attached: uploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F478415%2Fd91008ba-3f71-4914-b319-c0d603e57024.jpg%2F950x534__filters%3Aqual (950x534, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Johni0702/mumble-web
github.com/Johni0702/mumble-web/tree/webrtc
blog.discordapp.com/how-discord-handles-two-and-half-million-concurrent-voice-users-using-webrtc-ce01c3187429
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how do nextcloud and nextcloud talk compete here? is it possible to have conversations between people from different nextcloud servers?

I'm not sure but maybe try Signal and Telegram

>telegram
proprietary server software
>signal
requires a phone number, it's primarily mobile-focused
no way to sign up with a pc

Host your own Mumble server.

pls no joke answers

Riot/Matrix

My friends and I have been using Mumble for 5 years now, and it works wonderfully.
It's got great voice quality, and if you set it up with certs, it's very secure.

What's the problem? Does it have to be a flashy webapp?

jami

never tried it but should work?

Attached: 1200px-Jami-logo-gnu-package.svg_1.png (385x368, 40K)

>Does it have to be a flashy webapp
yes

Attached: 1555686083026.gif (800x400, 40K)

Considering that you literally described Matrix (very few, if any, other E2EE chat protocols have synchronized state), then you already know the answer.

Embed mumble-web in a Matrix room as a Riot widget.

this. we've all been using mumble for years now, it was always great even compared to teamspeak, to discord i still prefer mumble.

and where's the synchronized state part? if i am offline and someone messages me, i just want to be able to read the message on my phone or my pc etc.
mumble requires you to stay logged in 24/7 so you don't miss any conversations

this only works in like 50% of networks
it's p2p, which makes it a hassle or even impossible to use behind stuff like carrier grade nats

bump

>requires a phone number
literally fucking deal with it holy shit, how else are you going to use the core function of the damn app which is literally SMS

Mumble?

Riot.im

TOX, made by Jow Forums with negligence.

There isn't an alternative, retards won't move away from the Botnet

Teamspeak 5

but i'm a lazyfag

Rocketchat I would say. Check it out. Its basically self hosted discord/slack

bump

Then just use discord and kill yourself. If you aren't going to work for it you don't deserve it.

Attached: 1556519638917.jpg (1000x584, 84K)

Ventrilo

Attached: ventrilo-logo.png (350x365, 79K)

bump

just use signal
> e2e
> desktop and mobile
> no phone # required
> video chat
> voice chat
> cool voice filters
> foss

>no joke answers
You're not going to get any answers then. Everything besides Discord and Telegram have 0 userbase.

Remember Tox?

Me neither.

>mumble requires you to stay logged in 24/7 so you don't miss any conversations
you know you're allowed to miss conversations in life you fucking zoomer?
stop being completely addicted to communications software, holy shit
go out and enjoy some quiet time.
people that are important to you should have ways of reaching you other than discord anyways

>mumble-web
How well does this work? I kin of want to set up a server, but the hard part is convincing people to install the desktop client instead of a flashy webapp. I've used jitsi meet before, but it's p2p instead of client-server, so it leaks muh ip and shit.

riot.im is pretty good if you want a discord lookalike. otherwise use mumble

You also host a websockify (to translate websocketsUDP) instance or, alternatively, a WebRTCMumble protocol proxy to which the static webapp then connects. If you use gumble instead of murmur, then it natively supports websockets. Note that the quality of both the webapp UI and the actual voice are below that of the native application. Uses quite a bit more CPU and network too, with higher latency.

Just read the docs:
github.com/Johni0702/mumble-web
github.com/Johni0702/mumble-web/tree/webrtc

Hmm, how bad is the quality loss? The interface I can take or leave, since it's obviously a bridge.

I wish somebody would make an opensource version of discord's voice call setup. THey're using webRTC in the browser, but with the same client/server setup so it can actually scale.
blog.discordapp.com/how-discord-handles-two-and-half-million-concurrent-voice-users-using-webrtc-ce01c3187429

It's fine at normal bitrates, actually. The worst problems I've encountered are related to voice activation sometimes eating the first split second of speech on the websocket version. If you can somehow bypass that (maybe the WebRTC version, which I've 1yet to set up for myself, doesn't have the problem) or manage push-to-talk (requires input focus to be inside the web page), it's quite usable.

As for scalable WebRTC audio/video, I've heard of Jitsi Videobridge (which is also the backend for Jitsi Meet, which is in turn also included in Riot.im). Haven't really used it much, though, so I can't comment on its quality and performance.

XMPP

Attached: herbie.png (1200x1200, 1.98M)

first of all you need to follow the unix philosophy. As in, just use IRC for text chat, and a seperate VoIP if you want to call someone

betterdiscord with discordcrypt

>being this fucking retarded

Attached: oof.gif (480x480, 1.91M)

God I wish that were me

I can't tell if you're joking or not about the second statement...