X86 was a mistake

x86 was a mistake.
What architecture should replace it?

Attached: 1552859304599.jpg (667x593, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shared-ptr.com/sh_insns.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

amd64

/thread

sha256

fpbp

Attached: 1557027107695.png (4096x2304, 794K)

amd64 is a 64 bit extension of x86 and no less of a mistake, retard
also kys

Nope, it's an instruction set that's backwards compatible to x86.
Just because the basic description of AMD64 is "x86 with 64-bit instructions" doesn't mean it's x86 anything, it's an instruction set of it's own in reality AND paper.

>a 64 bit extension of x86
It still only have 8 fucking registers and still has an unbelievably confusing instruction syntax

kill yourself, AMDbots

Attached: 1512163594057.png (720x773, 177K)

Attached: coping-after-disaster_a350px.jpg (350x401, 37K)

>>It still only have 8 fucking registers
confirmed for having no fucking clue what you're talking about

RISC-V

Brainlet here, what the fuck is he talking about?

A register is a CPU's "working area". They're where you put things you read in from main memory, and what the instructions that do things to that data operate on. Having more of them makes things more flexible and (to a point) faster.

32-bit x86 was rather register-starved compared to some other archs. Where that guy is an idiot is for not knowing that amd64 added eight more general-purpose registers, which improved matters significantly. (and compilers and assembly programmers had long been stealing a few extra special-purpose registers for general use, also) Oh yeah and there's also eight SSE registers, up to 16 in AMD64.

All this is just what the CPU is required to provide as it's "interface", an implementation can have tons of registers that it manages behind the back of the programmer or compiler. Current AMD and Intel CPUs both do this.

we should go back to installing linux on a PS2 and compiling shit with the EE.

>tfw PS2 modding era will never come back

You idiot, x86 uses 86 bits where as amd64 uses 64 bits for the same instruction. Compressed pipeline combined with higher clock rate of AMD chips makes it the superior computer.

itanium.

More seriously, I want something with at least 32 registers, maybe even register windows
That pretty narrows it down to POWER/PPC, MIPS, SPARC or itanium.

x64 introduced a further 8 registers, r8-r15, as well as adding 64-bit versions of the existing ones.

x87 floating point is deaded though, in favour of using SSE with a single operand.

This but we need the hardware to go with it

This and the other video of him going inside ballons were great.

MIPS

Itanium is a shit architecture.

Why aren't you using POWER9 already?

Attached: CDDE7BA2-66C2-4A78-B729-1C9D4443A345.jpg (1242x1354, 424K)

Probably, but it's interesting. They couldn't make compilers to automatically optimise for it well, but I can imagine with carefully hand-optimised asm on it could absolutely fly.

I kept thinking of getting a second hand itanium rig to play around with optimising for it, but never got round to it.

oh
:(
sorry for being retarded

my nigger
RISC machines are the future

>woah! babby doubled amount of registers so 64-bit processor now has as many registers as a 32-bit ARM processor! very impwessive!

Attached: 1514372389310.png (488x463, 28K)

R I S C - V
I
S
C
|
V

so this... is the power... of cisc...

>x86 was a mistake.
>What architecture should replace it?
x172
twice as powerful as the x86

It's not even cisc anymore
x86 has been using RISC cores for like 2 decades now

nobody gives a fuck about the microarchitecure, risc/cisc refers to ISA and it still uses a cisc ISA

But they're also doing the opposite tactic with the Micro-op fusion/Macro op fusion stuff. That involves instructions in the execution units that are more complex than those in the ISA.

ARM already replaced it mostly.
Except in desktop

ARM in its current implementations is more retarded than X86 with its metric assload of ASIC hardware

>risc/cisc refers to ISA

Attached: 46a.png (645x729, 97K)

>Order online for $1,604.99

Alpha should have, 2 decades ago

>(reduced/complex) instruction set computing doesn't refer to instruction set architecture

ASICs are faster you moron
people pay good money for speed

It kinda defeats the purpose of arm being risc if arm requires so much asic hardware just to be power efficient

The reason ARM is so popular in the embedded market is because the cores are so minimal and small you can easily put them on chips with a lot of other shit. I doubt ARM would have anything like its current position without the ability to interface well with other circuitry.

x96 B)

>5 7s
Confirmed for homosexual

holy shit guys. I just farted ten (10) fucking times in a row. It smells like rotten eggs and foot cheese in here. Holy shit I think the stench won't ever leave the chair I'm sitting on

>He doesn't enjoy his own fart smells

IBM Power architecture.

I do, but not this time. Its almost as bad as when I farted for 2 days non-stop after a protein shake

SuperH seems to be pretty nice but it's just 32 bit afaik:
shared-ptr.com/sh_insns.html

RISC-V will probably be a bloated mess similar to x86(-64) in a few years. Just look at what happened to ARM. Different vendors will probably also add mutually exclusive extensions to it and license shit.

HTTPS

Based and Kellerpilled.

And? Poorfags should stick with x86 I guess

hot

Arm isn't lasting much longer as companies like Nvidia and Western digital don't want to fork out royalties and are modifying risc to their advantage

power-pc