Gaming laptop general /glg/

Desktop killers edition

Attached: akrales_170508_1666_0055.0.jpg (1200x800, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Asus-TUF-FX505DY-Ryzen-5-3550H-Radeon-RX-560X-Laptop-Review.412117.0.html
razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade#tech-specs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any recommendations? My wife's son would like to get one.

gaming laptop is shit

>pay thousands for powerful gaymin laptop
>it looks like some kind of tech abortion from 2001

Attached: bw45h76w5h6w4.jpg (555x475, 98K)

You can find one with a 1070 for a grand if you shop around for awhile. Anything more like a 1080 or 2080 and you're paying another grand or two.

Based

This is literally equivalent to walking around with a Samurai sword strapped to your back in a major metropolitan area

Attached: 590.gif (280x207, 453K)

no u

>gaming laptop
>gaming
>laptop

just get a thinkpad. Who the fuck plays video games past their early twenties?

Yea no, only if the katana had gatling guns on it too.

gaming laptops are an overpriced meme.
they sacrifice proper ventilation and gear for portability. and they do it badly because most are still heavy as shit and big (and they look ugly).

if you need it for hopping from one LAN to another it makes sense. if you're just gonna sit at home with it build/buy a proper desktop.

that being said, don't buy stuff marketed to gamers 99% of the time it's overpriced garbage because the consumer base knows shit and just buys whatever says gaming on it.

This, gaming and laptops want two completely opposite, mutually exclusive things.

A good laptop is lightweight, small form factor, runs cool and quiet. A good gaming case is large with high capacity heatsinks, large diameter fans and good airflow to allow for high performance without thermal throttling or excessive fan noise.

It's like wanting a small, lightweight sports car that can also pull a semi-trailer up a steep mountain path.

>underpowered gpu compared to PC counterpart, sometimes underclocked compared even to their standard laptop specs
>constantly throttling cpu (only after downclocking from 3.4 to 2.4 it stopped throttling...)
>shitty screen with shitty colors and a very long responce time (try to play fps games competitively on that)
>nvidia optimus, a buggy solution with many bugs (some games just can't enter fullscreen mode, they switch to borderless resulting in low performance, a few one will throw BSoD)
>cumbersome keyboard layout
>keyboard ghosting with 3 pressed buttons, no way to play fighting games with that, many times i could not switch a weapon in quake because of ghosting
>will degrade quickly, hinges will break, screw holes will crumble
>need to change thermal paste every year, CPU still throttles even after fresh paste application
>battery will easily degrade or break, after 2 years my battery can keep my laptop alive for ~5s (yes, seconds)
>no long term driver support
For that money buy a PC + Thinkpad instead.

It needs a FUCK TON of cooling. Something that requires a giant ass form factor.

Attached: Laptop.webm (480x270, 2.85M)

At this point, why not get a desktop?
I'm sure you'd get better bang for your buck

Just get the old Alienware 11 inch from 2011. The only gaming laptop worth a shit

There are literally 2 entire video game boards but you chose to post this shit on Jow Forums why??

Pactically anything that's thick and bulky is good. Anything that's even remotely thin is garbage and will overheat and throttle.
You can't get both thin and powerful in the same package. Get the biggest motherfucker on the market and you have good performance with no cooling issues.

I transport my computer between at least two places per day. Two desktops would be more expensive and I'd still need a fast laptop regularly.
Yeah they are very ugly.

That's fine, you've made a compromise and accept it.

The mistake comes when people look at a gaming laptop and don't realise that, by default, it's a huge compromise.

as impractical as that is, i like the concept of it

Just wait for google stadia then.

For the money of a decent gayming laptop you can get a decent gaming laptop + cheap thinkpad you could use for stadia.

Attached: (JPEG Image, 1280 × 720 pixels) - Scaled (95%).jpg (1280x720, 78K)

I got a Dell G3 for cheap.
They don't look overly "gaymer" but still have nice specs

Would Jow Forums recommend a gamebook for a non gamer despite having to be anchored to a wall? I am asking this question on the basis of indoor mobility.

Attached: 1537376499409.jpg (1412x1346, 437K)

>Predator using a predator
Kek

There's actually one that I really like especially since it has an AMD 2nd gen CPU.

4c8t up to 3.7GHz CPU
2.5 TFLOP GPU with 2GB of 96GB/s vRAM
256GB SSD/8GB RAM

For the price this thing is really nice desu, haven't found a better deal with an AMD CPU.

Attached: screenshot.jpg (720x1022, 228K)

Thinking about getting something like this desu, all thinkpads have (((intels))) and this would be a decent alternative to (((them))), the only difference is the one I am getting will have a HDD instead.

I'm honestly glad AMD stepped up their game, we really needed a break from intel. Though that being said the 560X GPU on this thing does run a little hot. I wonder if it can be undervolted.

notebookcheck.net/Asus-TUF-FX505DY-Ryzen-5-3550H-Radeon-RX-560X-Laptop-Review.412117.0.html

Attached: Screenshot_20190523-144137(1).jpg (720x221, 39K)

The next gen AMD APU laptops will be the absolute best bang for the buck gaming / power user laptops

Attached: linux_man.png (1248x944, 1.14M)

People who enjoy it?

are those sunglasses effective for anything other than his autistic eye-contact protection?

I have a hand-me-down laptop originally made in 2010 or 2011 that can only run older titles and lower-powered indie games. I hook it up to my TV with HDMI with an Xbox One controller sometimes.

I would rather get a desktop than a new laptop.

In all honesty I don't feel like forking out an extortionate amount of money for a MacBook, all thinkpads have Intel CPUs and and an AMD gamebook seems like the only viable option desu.

They give you +10 intelligence, proficiency in linux gaming and they will help you see through consumerist bullshit

they also have a 0.6% chance to turn you into a negro

Maybe in the past that was the case but a gaming laptop can be fine at the size that used to be normal up to the ultrabook trend. However the power cable is a huge brick to haul around. The biggest problem is the needless gaymer gimmick and the corresponding price mark-up.

if my laptop was 4" thick and 10lb but could hang with a desktop i'd consider it a fair deal.
why can't this be a thing

GamBook > ThinkPad > MacBook.

unironically these if you are actually planning to use a laptop for gaming, like a faggot. aluminum unibody > plastic crap

Attached: blade15-ch3-oled-4.jpg (1500x1000, 170K)

₹0.1 have been deposited into your account

Razer's design is spot on

This thread was over before it began.
>desktop killers
Holy kek!

Attached: 1535377930663.png (500x490, 162K)

How did he lift it with his onions muscles?

>Razer's design is spot on

its actually an improvement over macbooks aluminum unibody's too, it has fans/vents on the bottom and the keyboard is standard, non-mac-tarded. very impressive lappys.

Attached: stealth-quartz-1.jpg (1500x1000, 117K)

I hope they allow crossplay with real computers so I can destroy the shit out of Stadia users.

>msi

Attached: f23bc6effa901c3b05e3222c29bc0ead0237efde55b40b2754c37733d1de3f09.jpg (1200x1200, 127K)

>fucking AMDiscount doesn't have the balls to make an APU with soldered on HBM so gaymen laptops can stop being 3 inches thick and capable of fataly maiming someone if thrown at them
>icelake, cannonlake or whatever intel is going to call their next dumpster fire is going start fires in macshits
>AMD is just jerking itself off to the desktop/HEDT market which is like 100X less than the mobile market
life is suffering

Attached: latest.png (600x614, 577K)

Based cuck step father

top fucking kek

Attached: 10620360_158749161156630_2173063647180959888_o.jpg (1403x958, 94K)

Why are brown loli so fucking hot

God what is this plastic
I want to smash this piece with a hammer and see how it explodes into a thousand pieces

Attached: ss (2019-05-24 at 00.42.50).png (454x201, 204K)

>I want to smash this piece with a hammer and see how it explodes into a thousand pieces

dont worry, it looks like it'll melt/break all on its own without any anger/hammers needed.

Attached: 1557184127463.jpg (2250x2812, 323K)

I don't know if it counts as gayming, but I got a little HP Envy 13 with an i5 8250u, 8GB of dual channel DDR3 RAM and a MX150 2GB, which is enough for me to be able to play some light gayming like LoL and old gaymes I have bought on Steam like ages ago and I will be playing on the job.
Pic related, on the other side it has the charging port, another USB A and C 3.1. So I am dongled, but I don't care about that, because when I don't need them, it looks pretty good, and when I do need them, it will be a time when I'm on a desk so it's ok.
cute

Attached: file.png (666x400, 475K)

how much they gonna cost

buy it half price used from some nerd that paid $3000 new

re-paste with a good thermal paste or with liquid metal to keep it cool

also low end gaming laptops especially ive noticed msi are trash alienware or any thicker gaming laptops are gosu and superior to thin gay laptops

cant have it thin and also have it be a powerhouse, nerds

>cant have it thin and also have it be a powerhouse, nerds

razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade#tech-specs

except you can

>razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade#tech-specs
ya and it overheats because of that

also chiclet keyboard (ew)
15.6" display (ew)

gross

i prepped one for a sem tech-illiterate friend, its actually better designed than macbookpro's, it has vents/fans on the bottom that were keeping it relatively cool when on a desk. the keyboard is pretty standard for a laptop and they have 17 inch models but thats not what I personally handled.

for its size/weight, no other gaming laptop comes close to the performance it offers. post a better gaming laptop that weighs under 5 lbs(the 15 inch) or 6 lbs(the 17 inch). doesnt exist.

more like wallet killer, back/backpack killer, and most importantly pussy slayer

Attached: .png (708x648, 337K)

>it's over $9000.

Top lel.

>>it's over $9000.
>Top lel.

yikes, you can literally build 2-3 desktops that can literally run every game available at max/ultra settings for that money. AND its still a plastic piece of shit. how retarded.

It's more of a proof of concept. Acer didn't expect this thing to sell more than a handful anyways.

>It's more of a proof of concept. Acer didn't expect this thing to sell more than a handful anyways.

thats even worse, buying prototype hardware thats likely to have little/no support and be full of custom/one of a kind pieces of hardware is just asking for a big giant $9000 doorstop. i always recommend people buy semi-popular/well received, and thus community tested/supported laptops so you can know what to expect reliability and support wise.

It's still better than a $7,000 MBP.

560X GPU is a bit dated. Hoping we get a Navi mobile variant soon.

Been considering when the Ryzen CPU + nVidia GPU laptops Asus has, but price is still a bit high for what you get.

Attached: zephyrus-g.jpg (700x416, 42K)

do not buy ASUS ROG laptops. seen 3 out of 3 have horrible hardware failures within first year amongst my friends/associates. absolute garbage quality control.

>not owning the games you play
heh stay cucked

You could say the same for MSI or any other laptop brand.

My clevo's gpu died about 6 months in because I pushed its offset too high. Fortunately they shipped it all the way to Taiwan for a motherboard replacement and it's still going strong after 2.5 years.

>You could say the same for MSI or any other laptop brand.

meh, i have a handful of macbooks that are all still running smoothly, some 10+ years old i keep around for lulz and these razer blade laptops i've recently got my hands on are the only thing that comes close in terms of durability. aluminum unibodies >>>> plastic chink gaymer crap any day.

Everything about this was retarded until he lifted the trackpad

Fucking Christ, I want this functionality but just not in that herculean Frankenstein of a lappy

i have an alienware 15r3
its easy to open up to clean the dust out once a year and im happy with my purchase. although it was expensive

that's more like a portable desktop, it looks good.
too bad it has the gayman aesthetics

>The biggest problem is the needless gaymer gimmick and the corresponding price mark-up.

sadly this.

you can find some lower end cards like the MX150/130 or the the GTX1050 on some sleek business laptops that are fairly priced, but all the higher end cards are exclusive to shit tier designed laptops made entirely of plastic, usually bundled with 20 seizures worth of RGB, not to mention the pricing, you want me to pay more to advertise your disgusting RGB gaming logo?

I didn't know they made laptops that let you know who is a child molester now.

I'm actually looking at a fully specced out Razer Blade 15. I have the money and it would work great for me.

>I'm actually looking at a fully specced out Razer Blade 15. I have the money and it would work great for me.

i prepped a 15 inch and a 13 inch for a friend and his wife(installing the games/apps they want/vpn/etc) and was really impressed with both. the 15 inch ran every game the dude wanted.

Yeah, I'm a college student and I don't spend much time at home. I spend a lot of time with friends playing games. So I was looking for great portability and ability to play games on pair with my friends desktops.

It's not just a huge laptop, its specs are really ridiculous. It has two 1080s in SLI and a bunch of RAIDed SSDs and fucking eye tracking and other weird gimmicky shit. The point was not to make a reasonable but very high performance laptop, it was to make the most insane thing they possibly could.

>Yeah, I'm a college student and I don't spend much time at home. I spend a lot of time with friends playing games. So I was looking for great portability and ability to play games on pair with my friends desktops.

look up the games you intend to play, and the gpu you pick(gtx 1060 up to the gtx 2080) and check for benchmarks to make sure it can run what you want.

>1 hour battery life

Just get a deskop you absolute imbecile.

it's always the same thing with linuxfags; if your toy OS doesn't support something you always cope by saying "well if you were a TRUE professional you wouldn't use that!"
honestly, who do you think you're fooling? you don't have a job and you just watch anime all day, don't try to convince people that you're a REAL ADULT

Newer thinkpads are going to have an amd counterpart

I have a broken MSI GS70 laptop (battery expanded). It's definitely repairable though. If I take it in to be repaired it'll be good as new. I have no use for it anymore, do you guys think it'd be sellable if I got it fixed?

>I have a broken MSI GS70 laptop (battery expanded). It's definitely repairable though. If I take it in to be repaired it'll be good as new. I have no use for it anymore, do you guys think it'd be sellable if I got it fixed?

sure, any working laptop is sellable, but not for much, people hate buying second hand hardware, even 'factory refurbished' shit is sold at a major discount.

I'm 44 and play still play vidya, mostly BF4.

If it takes off it's gonna be the piracy killer

Attached: 1523588616848.jpg (227x222, 9K)

>hurr durr why arent modern laptop modular like muh thinkpads
>hurr durr modern laptops are too modular unlike muh thinkpads

mental illness

Gaming laptops make sense for a fair number of people. If you spend two or more months away from home a year, which is pretty common either due to holidays or being flown around for work, then it makes a lot of sense.
The price difference is pretty minimal at mid tier (2060 + i5-8400), when you include the cost of a case, power supply and monitor in with the PC build. It only really hits a massive divide at the high end when you're getting 32gb of ram, a RTX2080, i7-9700k and shit like that. Then your desktop is a good $1000 cheaper or so.

Given that old grandmothers with muscle atrophy can lift 25kg that way, it's not hard to imagine

>underpowered GPU
10 series gpus are with 10 - 5% performance of their desktop version
>throttling cpu
Only a problem when the laptop is not properly designed, my laptop can't hit it top speed of 3.5 ghz, but has no problem holding 3.3 even under load.
>shitty screens
Ill give you credit on this one. The screens are shit unless you shell out for whatever the top model is. Otherwise expect 6-bit IPS panels of wildly variable quality.
>optimus
Any real "gaming" laptop does not have this. It has an iGPU and a dGPU, just as God intended.
>cumbersome keyboard
Only a problem on small Form factors. My 15 inch has a full 10 key + numpad.
>keyboard ghosting
Personally never had this problem, can't say about other models though
>will degrade quickly
Why only gaming models? Everybody knows plastic is shit and doesn't hold up. Choose one that is built well, that's what reviews are for.
>need to change thermal paste every year
Again, not a problem when properly designed and cooled
>battery will easily degrade
If your battery truly cannot provide more than 5 mins on a full charge, it is faulty not degraded. Only other scenario is you power cycled it god only knows how many times while likely pulling the maximum amount of wattage it can provide. My machine cannot run full speed when on battery, it has to be plugged in.
>no long term driver support
For what? Your keyboard? Speakers? Maybe TouchPad if you got fucked with Synaptics? CPU, GPU, storage, and network driver updates are vendor agnostic, what else matters?

Attached: 1522200913330.jpg (1079x1233, 121K)

>Large trackpads becoming a meme due to apple
>No one has integrated a huion or wacom drawing tablet (one of the smaller ones) as their trackpad solution

This one's subtle enough if you set the backlighting into a single color.

Still, it's expensive because it combines a 6 core CPU, a 1070 max-q and a 94Wh battery into a 2.0kg chassis.

Attached: gigabyte_15_6_aero_15x_v8_bk4_1400601.jpg (2500x2500, 409K)

Based

Moved to an apartment and i am limited with space. Can't have proper sized pc table and so i have tiny table with 24 inch monitor and speakers. It is crammed and i have very little space for arms. If i would buy laptop for occasional gaming i could use dining table. Really fuck this.

That actually looks really cool. Looks like a nuc kinda build and reminds me of something from the 80s.