Does GNU/LINUX have any decent DAW? That's the only thing preventing me from switching

Does GNU/LINUX have any decent DAW? That's the only thing preventing me from switching.

Attached: logic-pro-x-1032-mac-osx-D_NQ_NP_609997-MLB26445427874_112017-F.jpg (1024x715, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reaper.fm
bitwig.com
instaud.io/3Ac3
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4-MESPWhdA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is this an audio editor?

It's not that simple, user.

You could run your favorite daw in WINE. Also the major thing keeping me from switching to Linux.

ardour

Cockos Reaper

Ardour

I'd just stick with Windows/Mac if you're into music production. You could try to get your daw to work in WINE, but then you have to ask yourself: will all your third-party plugins even work?

Ardour.

>Logic Pro X
what a gay name and product.
apple consumbers blown the fuck out.

I've used Reaper for years, and I tried using it in Ubuntu. Linux version of Reaper is still an "experimental" version and half the default plugins didn't work. Plus the daw just couldn't recognize my midi controller or interface. Fucking frustrating.

What about third party applications? Does Ableton Live run through wine?

Satania incoming

$199 (you can get it for free and still download libraries from Apple)

Solid DAW with a ton of great plugins and the best mixer in the market. 6 years worth of updates without charging you for anything. You don't really need any other tools to play around with music for $199. Yeah, user, what a bad deal, r-right?

And I didn't even buy the Apple hardware. I use a Hackintosh.

What about Bitwig, I heard they had something for Ubuntu.

Never tried Ableton. I tried Reaper (paid) and Studio One 3 (pirated version). They installed fine via WINE, but both had the same fucking problem. Wouldn't recognize my interface or midi keyboard. Tried re-installing their drivers to no avail. Didn't try third-party plugins, was too frustrated at that point. Default plugins behaved strangely, and both daws would randomly crash when adding plugins to tracks.
Not fucking worth the effort. I don't shill for WIndows/Mac very often, but do not waste your time trying to get complex software like daws full of plugins to work on a Linux distro. Spend that time making music instead of hours being frustrated.

Cheers user. I think I will get another SSD to try out GNU/Linux in my spare time. Just like you said, it's not worth it.

bloat
use Audacity

Bitwig if you want to stick to virtual instruments and effects to make your song entirely with one program.

Reaper otherwise.

There's also Waveform but I never tried it.

just use LMMS dood

DAWs typically have virtual synthesizers, sequencers, etc etc. I wouldn't call a DAW an audio editor, but I would consider something like Audacity to be an audio editor.

>199$, or free for EXISTING USERS
what a shit price for a gay-named product made by a BTFO'd company for people that live in shitholes that want to flex

Have sex

Ardour

Wine should work out, even with VST3s

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-23 19-33-47.png (1920x1200, 1.1M)

Stop being a Boomer and use an online DAW like Bandlab.

It doesn't even let me write triplets.

Why would you use Logic Poo X when not even Apple uses that fucking trash?

Attached: 1543603693937.jpg (644x1049, 215K)

Holy shit. Imagine actually paying a thousand dollars for that trainwreck.

Bitwig is probably your best choice imo

Logic pro is great for hobbyist to professional use. Pro Tools is just industry standard when it comes to corporate post production studios. If you're freelancing, who cares?

Ableton works with wine.

I don't want a job at Apple, user. I don't care about what they use.I just want to make some music in my spare time. Don't tell me what to do.

Because Digi converters are complete trash and I can use legacy apogees. Pro tools is hype.

ableton btfo logic years ago. only apple boomer fanboys who have just started making music use logic. i respect ios garageband users more than logic users.
has anyone used Bitwig? it looks really nice

Attached: BWS_2-3_Main_8C.png (1880x1175, 218K)

R E N O I S E

maybe sunvox

Bitwig is a pretty awesome Ableton clone
Ardour is an alright Pro Tools clone
LMMS was awful when I tried it, seems like its gotten better. Its basically a FL Studio clone
Everyone knows Audacity. If you're just doing some multi tracking stuff, podcasts or simple audio editing, this is what you want.

Over all, just dual boot windows. Or OSX if you can. With Linux, you're missing out on vst/aax support, drivers for audio interfaces and midicontrollers, a lot of niche OS exclusive software, etc. Its not worth it.

I use bitwig as my daily driver. I went from FL to Maschine to running Maschine as a plugin within Bitwig. It has things I love and things I hate (mostly due to how maschine integrates with it). It feels like a fusion between Ableton and FL Studio to me and has a way better UI than either one. My biggest gripes are the browser and midi routing options, which unfortunately they don't seem to be working on. They're working on some type of Max4All module sandbox that looks pretty bitchin, its even gonna include logic gates. Shit sounds crazy if you're into modular.
The 2.4 version is cracked for all platforms, it's worth checking out.

There's a ton of pro-level DAWs native to Linux:
Bitwig
Waveform/Tracktion
Ardour
Mixbus
LMMS
etc...

Simple google search my friend.

It took like 8 steps to even hear my fucking kx88 on reaper in win10. Then I had to tweak it to reduce latency. Can't imagine what a shitfest it would be on linoox

Sorry, none of these are top level DAWs. I can already see you just google'd without knowing shit about them. There's no way you can compare any of these DAWs to Cubase/Logic/Studio One.

But the problem isn't even DAWs. I could live with using Bitwig. The problem is the absolute lack of VSTs. And no Wine does not "work". Ever tried using Omnisphere with Wine? Just one of many examples. Absolutely unusable.

Pirate FL use it on wine

simple

also somebody should fork LMMS the GUI dev is a fucking retard

I've used 4 of 5, so good assumption, retard.
>top level
Ok, whatever you define 'top level' as.
>lack of VSTs
OP didn't ask for VSTs. He asked for a 'decent DAW'. Anyway, there are plenty of Linux-native VSTs.

The one and only...

RENOISE

Attached: serveimage.png (1200x766, 36K)

>there are plenty of Linux-native VSTs
Please show me ONE native Linux VST that comes even REMOTELY close to Omnisphere. Pro tip: there is none.
Please show me ONE native Linux multiband compressor that also has a linear phase option.
Please show me ONE native Linux VST reverb that comes close to Valhalla, Lexicon etc

>muh effect is effect
nope you faggot. Especially when it comes to reverbs and delays there are massive differences and most are absolute shite.

Kontakt doesn't work either. Have fun producing music without Kontakt nowadays. Have fun not using Melodyne or VariAudio.

Music production on Linux is objectively shit. I seriously don't know what you're trying to achieve here. Why are you lying to yourself?

>everyone needs omnisphere because muh dubstep melodies
Some people use a DAW for actual music and not electronic trash.

What did we do before Valhalla and Lexicon? Obviously we never made any real music. Even given you don't like ANY of the wide range of Linux-native reverb software, it's pretty easy to hook up a high quality hardware reverb to your audio interface as an insert.

Short answer: No
Long answer: The audio stack in linux is a fucking mess, by which I mean "it doesn't exist". OSX and NT have that shit standardized and baked into their kernel so developing professional audio software is actually possible. On linux it's an absolute crapshoot at best.

paid ones:
reaper.fm
bitwig.com

and 30+ free ones
ardour, audacity, etc

>entire dev team left and went to bitwig and made a linux version
>use the old shitty one in wine!!!

>NT
>standardized pro audio stack
LOL? Maybe you meant you can choose from a variety of vendor proprietary audio stacks to replace the Windows stack, because that shit is NOT standardized.

It's been a standardized part of the Kernel since vista you fucking dinosaur, I'm not talking about the middleware software that gets glued on top

Maybe we're talking about something different. I'm talking about how to get low latency for actual PRO AUDIO use in Windows. You're required to bolt on third-party shit to make it work and it's been that way forever.

JACKd and real time linux are currently the fastest kernels that exist, for audio and other things. There's nothing faster other than micro controllers.
these are good answers to get audio going.
I'd recommend ubuntu studio with jackd pre-configured out of the box.

Windows has a minimum of quadruple the latency that RTL & jackd do

>Some people use a DAW for actual music and not electronic trash.
Uhm, what? What does Omnisphere or Melodyne have to do with Dubstep? Are you fucking retarded?
>>What did we do before Valhalla and Lexicon?
We used hardware you fucking idiot.

energyXT has a native Linux version. The demo is available but I don't see where you can buy it anymore.

This has been a point of frustration for me for years. I've tried some of everything and it's all shit. Nothing "available" for Linux is remotely as good as Cubase, Sonar, FL Studio, or ProTools. Even the cut-rate stuff for Windows is light years better. Plus hardware support is a complete joke. For fucks sake you still can't use old ass Firewire interfaces under Linux!

Not that bad
Reaper now has builds for Ubuntu. Have you tried Renoise on linux?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (236x229, 16K)

The OG developers of ableton left and created bitwig studio which is linux native
try bitwig?

Attached: 6C_1702-BWS2-Release.png (1400x920, 118K)

There's really only one for Windows: ASIO.

ASIO has been around since the late 90's and it works well. No sense in using anything else when that exists and it's supported by every audio interface worth a damn and even a few that aren't (i.e. everything made by Creative since the Audigy)

I don't count ProTools' shit 'cause it's PT-only and fuck Digi/Avid.

all of which is meaningless when there's nothing decent to utilize that low latency.

>nothing decent
Yeah certainly RME sucks, along with all the other interfaces that are USB Audio compliant and literally 'just work'.

I would never trust GNU/Linux to handle audio. It's a terrifying mess.

Windows is more of a mess. It's just a mess that you happen to be accustomed to.

use wine

This is incredibly damning and no amount of iToddler damage control will make up for it.

probably not, OP.

>top level
>no pro tools

top kek enjoy making bleep bloop and nig nog muziks

audio production on linux is a fucking mess, don't even bother. I honestly believe it'll be one of the last things to ever make it to linux effectively, hell most audio shit barely works on mainstream systems.

Renoise is eldergod tier

not a single one of those is pro-level. if you think a single professional producer is wasting their time on trying to configure all their shit on linux, you're retarded. I'll use linux for everything else, even gaming, but not serious audio production.

Working perfect here on Ubuntu. Jackd with

What type of music do you produce? Maybe it's different for people making electronic music, but trying to configure every driver and every program for every interface, amp, preamp, and other shit I have for live tracking would literally take me an albums worth of time to configure because, especially for instrument interfaces, no manufacturers bother baking in linux support.

Which interfaces do you have that won't work on Linux? In my experience, most of the newer ones support the USB Audio Class Specification.

>Running a DAW through WINE

Have fun with half your interfaces not working

I'm talking about the software. I've been trying to use Linux for my DAW for 16-17 years ever since I first found SLab. Ever since then it's just been one disappointment after another. In 2019 I simply don't get the same level of functionality out of Linux DAW's as I do with Windows. There's always something broken.

there's pure data, supercollider csound, and all that. renoise works fine too.

Yes, Renoise is great once you get over the tracker. Literally beats any other DAW. Here's the track from my pic.

instaud.io/3Ac3

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-23 20-15-40.png (2720x1080, 1.07M)

Bitwig but you can't use VSTs
Even if I could just have kotakt only, I'd switch to Linux, but I can't.

Linux is shit for professional media work. Just the way it is, poor software support

>instaud.io/3Ac3
nice... song. yeah. i listened to it and wasted 3 minutes of my life. fuck you

>Slab

dammit, forgot to attach a screenshot of SLab.

Attached: slab_2.jpg (729x768, 194K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Q4-MESPWhdA

bitwig is proprietary and malicious. Ardour respects your freedoms.

>bad deal
It is,you get nothing in return for your money. Even the $0 you can get it for thanks to piracy isn't a good deal, you are just getting it for what it is worth - $0

Audio is the only area Linux doesn't do well in. If you want anything more demanding than UI sounds and YouTube audio then you're SOL. Fortunately I don't produce music or shit like that so Linux works for everything else.

linux audio destroys windows audio, it’s just more fiddly like most things are for linux. once you have figured out JACK, and configured it to work with pulse audio, it sounds better, you can route the audio and midi between programs, the latency is low, alsa gives you greater control over capture and playback I/O, overall it’s fantastic, just more difficult.

fl studio > reason > all > shit > audacity > ardour

The state of Linux DAW's in 2019 is that it's about on par with Windows 95 DAW's in 1997 or '98.

Hardware support is shit, plugin support is randomly shitty, and the software is buggy as fuck.

I've been making music for over 26-27 years, since I first hooked up an Alesis HR-16B to my Atari 1040STe running Master Tracks Pro. Linux as a serious DAW platform is a joke.

>hardware support is shit
*citation needed

>track track track
Name them

Enjoy having to install and configre the clusterfuck that is JACK.

how is it on par with old DAWs? there are multiple pieces of software named in this thread which are commercial offerings still being updated in 2019, and in my experience the ones i’ve tried run fine.
i agree that the plugin situation sucks because how things are with VSTs at the moment is terrible, and i can’t speak for hardware compatibility.
we can debate back and forth how good/shit linux is for audio forever.
what makes it a serious DAW for you is what you need and doesn’t represent everyone, great stuff was made with software and hardware that self-proclaimed professionals today would make a big fuss over.

>these are the people shilling Linux to use on Jow Forums

>7
logic fucking sucks though

reaper is good
actually less gay than "fruity loops" let alone FL studio

you can play around with music for free, dumbass, why waste $200?

there's so many free trial versions of everything from amplitube to guitarrig to ampeg to every fucking daw and synth plugin / VST on the face of the fucking earth.

Honestly, FL studio can do pretty much Cubase can at this point. I just use Cubase because I learned it earlier and it all works.
ProTools I still have because it's the industry standard but I just prefer the workflow in Cubase. Reaper seemed good for free.

use asio not directsound

This but unironically.

>instaud.io/3Ac3
This sounds like dogshit but I don't think you're being held back by your DAW.

FUCKING BANGER OMG MY FACE IS MELTING

top quality track right there top fucking quality techno

A DAW is not just an audio editor, but a VST/AU/AAX host for effects and synthesizers and a multi-track channel routing program,

Are you 12?