/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Ryzen 3000 series CPUs (and possibly Navi GPUs) will be announced in a few days at Computex.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1366049107494.jpg (1632x1224, 343K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/fKLBXP
tomshardware.com/news/amd-x470-intel-z390-showdown,38212.html
amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A14-PWM-Premium-Cooling/dp/B00CP6QLY6/
newegg.com/noctua-nf-a14-pwm-case-fan/p/N82E16835608044
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Gimme that 12c/24t goodness, mama Su.

Looking at buying pic related because it's so nice to just have a quick dock for any format. Any reason not to?

Attached: SmartSelect_20190523-150813_Newegg.jpg (1051x1583, 437K)

>12c24t, 5.0GHz boost
>Able to be cooled on the stock air cooler
>Backwards compatibility on select X370 boards, vast majority of B450/X470 boards

I'm fucking ready. I still do wonder how the IF latency will play into gaming though.

Only if all cores at 4.2+, friend

If it can hit 5GHz one core, we should be expecting something closer to 4.5GHz all core.

Hi do you recomend any used cpu with Good performance to Price ratio and ddr4 memory?

Until review samples are out specs are conjecture as far as I'm concerned. I want to see some stable OCs.

Would it be stupid to sell my used 1070 to help buy a used 1080ti? I only play at 60fps but I have a 4k monitor. This would mostly be to future proof if anything. My cpu is a standard 2600 if that matters.

2600x/8600k

Pick your poison.

Yea. Never sell a card to buy another card in the exact same generation.

2600X, at least I don't have any security flaws in that.

Why though? the 1080ti is much better than the 1070 and it would last me for years. I have no plans on going above 60hz anytime soon, and I don't play the latest AAA meme games like ass creed or womb raider.

R5 1600 depending on pricing

>select X370 boards
Given compatibility between AM3 and AM3+, pretty sure all X370 will get Ryzen 3000 compatibility. Most B350 as well, but that might be more iffy depending on manufacturer.

Also it seems that most 400 series boards will have PCIe 4.0 if a 3000 series CPU is used. Pretty sweet

Looks cool, would buy even though I don't need it, if I were a consumer whore

Up to you, only upgrade when you need the performance. If you're worried about money, wait for AMD's new graphics cards and a possible price drop on Nvidia's current offerings. Nvidia is planning a quiet refresh of their Turing line

>I still do wonder how the IF latency will play into gaming though.
At least in Ashes of the Singularity, the 8700K is about 10% ahead of the R5 2600X when both are clocked to 4.0GHz. Other games might not play as nicely with Ryzen in general (e.g., PUBG) and of course there's the chiplet redesign of Ryzen which is an unknown in terms of gaming

If that's the case, the 1070 should be more than enough for 60HZ 4k on non AAA games. Either that or turn down settings. Unless you're getting a good deal on the 1080Ti, it's a waste

How does this look? Any small, silent case suggestion that still fits a CD drive? I will not be adding more storage.

Attached: 1548908464766.jpg (1603x1211, 166K)

FUCK Gigabyte and FUCK Asus as well desu

I do play some modern games, but the only recent ones I've actually cared about have been res2 and sekiro. getting a stronger gpu would allow me to play slightly older games like souls 3 in 4k for example. I don't ever plan on buying a new gpu, so what should I be waiting for? Aren't the current cards overpriced ray tracing memes?

>blower card
Seriously?

why are you getting this now just before zen2 comes along?
also, have you considered a usb dvd (or bluray) drive?

gib Ryzen

Is it that bad? It's like $300 cheaper than the cards with "normal" coolers
>why are you getting this now just before zen2 comes along?
How close is it? I don't need the computer immediately.
>have you considered a usb dvd (or bluray) drive
I just want to re-use my old one, I don't mind getting one of those sata to usb thing.

Within the next month and a half.

>Ray tracing meme
The thing is that ray tracing isn't a meme. It's just new. It'll only catch on more as time goes on. But all RT stuff aside, the 2080Ti for instance is still the absolute best card on the market in DX11/12 and is touted as being one of the only single card solutions available that can push 60fps @ 4k reliably. If you're getting a killer deal on the used 1080Ti, go for it. But it just doesn't seem worth it to me imo. Especially buying used when you hope for the card to last a long while.

Is there any point to getting a HDD these days? Or should I go full SSD for longevity?

What I'm going to write a lot is large/hd videos and audio for editing, and storage will be tons and tons of media like video and audio, and a few video games. The video and audio may get lots of regular reads. My 3TB HDD just died outta nowhere on me and I know my external is on it's way. I have 4 open slots (well... 6, but I'm already broke af but also able to save quickly so, again, longevity is most important).

Isn't Intel outperforming because architecture/instructions, not muhHertz or muhCorez? Apologies if I am mistaken.

SSD is okay, but I'd still stick around with an HDD until we can see a Terabyte SSD for the prices we see a Terabyte HDD today.

The only pitfall of pure SSD storage for media is price. They get cheaper and cheaper as time goes on though.
>Intel outperforming because arch
Lol no. Why do you think it takes a 5.0GHz clocked Intel chip to barely stay ahead of a 4.2GHz clocked Ryzen? Ryzen has lower clock ceiling (for now), but clock doesn't equal IPC. The fact that Ryzen is as competitive as it is at lower clocks shows a superior architecture via better IPC

Yeah I see what you mean. I'm quite satisfied with my 1070 as it plays my favourite games like I said. I'll probably leave it unless I come across a really good deal then.

Ssds are cheap as hell. Especially if u are murican a 2tb 660p 185 on sale the fuck
I will never buy a hdd agai
Protip go full ssd unless u literally need 10tbs+ storage

I was just starting to catch up on current tech and prices and yeah, TB/$$ is still weak. Thanks for confirming. Do you guys happen to have any HDD rec's? Looking for at least 4TB right now and then at least 3 more drives over the remainder of the year.

Doesn't it depend on the test? I mean, could you have a test biased the other way round? Do you think that maybe that's sorta what's going on with those particular emulators?

Just wait

Attached: It'sOver.png (1296x900, 371K)

We're talking good SSDs. Not crummy ones you can pick on the side of the road.

>HDD recs
Toshiba X300 4TB is reliable and usually priced in the $100 range. One of the few not stupidly priced 4TB drives with 128MB cache vs the 64MB of other brands.
>Depend on the test
Sure. There are tests out there that have been compiled with an Intel biased compiler. But overall across the vast majority of tests, AMD and Intel are neck and neck when clocked to their respective Max stable OC's. A 5.0GHz clocked i9-9900k only barely pulls ahead in some games/benches compared to a 4.2GHz R7-2700X. And that could be attributed to Intel's monolithic design rather than AMD's chiplets and infinity fabric. But on the flip side, Intel's implementation of SMT (Hyperthreading) can't even begin to touch AMD's version of SMT.

So it's all give and take. As far as I'm concerned, AMD only has room to grow with Ryzen as evidenced by their continual growth of clock speed, IF optimizations, IPC increases, core/thread increases, etc. Their architecture is still new. Where as Intel has been riding on the coattails of their Pentium 3 based architecture for so long, it's completely tapped, save for just ramping up the clock and voltage to make up for architectural deficiencies. All this with the various Intel vulnerabilities notwithstanding.

>the lord's year 2001 + 18
>CD drive
also, looking for silence with a blower card? good luck, that jet engine will ruin your day no matter what case

>not buying CDs and extracting audio files yourself
Can't trust "lossless" torrents these days. I didn't know blower cards were loud, I guess I'll try to get a regular one.

>buying zen+ 4 days from zen 2 announcement
retard

Attached: 1547452383852.jpg (645x729, 51K)

Release is still 2 months away retard

and you can't wait 4 days to find out if it's worth waiting 2 months?

lol no it isn't
x570 boards are already being stocked up by retailers.

pcpartpicker.com/list/fKLBXP
Not pictured: A 2TB 3.5HDD Western Digital Blue.

You have been saying that since last summer

>he's not in le scret club

>>Muh old shit
>Yeah but I'm talking about CEMU and RPCS3 where only Intel reaches 60 FPS.
This is true but last time I checked(this was more than a year maybe two years ago) they were getting somewhere with ryzen. It was playable at that time.
I think with tweaks and the move to multi-thread. Which is being used in rpcs3. You might end up with ryzen outperforming intel. But that's yet to be seen. It's playable on ryzen though by all means

b& underage

The 9900K apparently only supports 16 pcie lanes, would i used a lot of performance by using a 4 lane capture card alongside a GPU or how does this work? Would it even be compatible?

>AMD’s Ryzen platform supports up to 28 PCIe lanes, but the CPU controls most of those lanes. Ryzen CPUs feature 20 PCIe 3.0 lanes, with 16 lanes dedicated to two 16x/8x PCIe slots for graphics cards, and four lanes to split between SATA and NVMe data transfer interfaces.
>The X470 chipset adds another eight general-purpose PCIe 2.0 lanes, which board manufactures can dedicate to additional M.2 slots, 5/10GbE network interfaces, or other PCIe-based devices.
>Intel’s 9th Generation Core processors and the new Z390 chipset feature more PCIe lanes than AMD’s Ryzen platform, but Intel’s chipset handles the bulk of the PCIe communication. Intel’s 9th generation Core CPUs feature 16 PCIe lanes, which are dedicated to the x16/x8 slots for GPUs or PCIe-slot SSDs. All other PCIe devices share the Z390 chipset’s 24 lanes.
>Intel’s chipset features PCIe revision 3.0 lanes, whereas AMD’s chipset lanes are revision 2.0.

tomshardware.com/news/amd-x470-intel-z390-showdown,38212.html

To add to unless you have a high-end GPU, the difference between x8 and x16 is marginal.

So to dumb it down for a retard like me, the CPU handles my GPU and the rest is handled by the Z390 motherboard itself?

>the CPU handles my GPU and the rest is handled by the Z390 motherboard itself?
yup. The PCIe Lanes from the CPU handle specifically NVME based SSD's and the graphics cards. The remaining 24 lanes of the chipset support any other NVME drives, SATA drives, USB interfaces, and in this case, your capture card.

Ahh great, thank you very much user, that's a huge relief.

fans came a day early

Attached: 20190523_165751.jpg (2048x1152, 630K)

>5V
I think you fucked up unless you have a specific use for 5V fans

did i? well fuck me then i didnt know there was a difference since they were the same price

I just installed two 120 5V fans for my gpu. A little more granularity in the fan curve now.

What are some good websites to buy pc parts in France?

DO NOT PLUG THEM INTO A MOTHERBOARD FAN HEADER! That's a 12 V rail!

The 5V fans are meant for a 5 volt source instead of the 12 volt you get on a motherboard header

>he's never railed 12v straight to the head before.
gettaloadathisguy.cam

Poorfag here
i have opportunity to get a i5 3570k for 50$
using i5 2500 non k now.
Is it worth a go? My mobo supports Ivy bridge and it should be alright for overclocking

how about you get a god damn job, john?

so which ones do i buy then?

It's a pretty decent upgrade, for that low price you might as well.

Out of the loop on hardwarefag here, why does MSI seem to have a bad reputation with many anons? I have only ever owned one of their GPUs (an r9 390) but it seemed fine when I was using it, even had a hefty backplate. Are their other products crap?

The one with all the reviews, this also happens to be the first non-sponsored result on amazon
amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A14-PWM-Premium-Cooling/dp/B00CP6QLY6/

I like MSI a lot, also confused about this.

MSI usually has meh video cards unless you're buying the big dick Lightning models. Mediocre VRM's, meh cooling. Marginally better than Gigabyte. As far as motherboards, they've come a long way but I'd still prefer Asus or ASrock.

so these ones?
newegg.com/noctua-nf-a14-pwm-case-fan/p/N82E16835608044
(linking newegg bc i originally bought it from there)

been using them for years just meme shit only thing i notice is my 1080 had weird gpu sag but flawless besides that

anyways i feel retarded and ive waited a week for these to come in the mail. i hope i dont have to wait another week for them this time around

yes

What's wrong with their lower end cards?
I have a 2060 Ventus and it has a nice sturdy feel to it, with a pretty backplate and alright thermals.

eh. I come from MSI from the AMD FX days and GTX 5xx series. They left a real bad taste in my mouth

Not him but I wouldn't say there is anything really wrong with low end cards but they better be at least reference design PCBs

Do you guys think it's weird that I put my nail clippings in my waterbottle and let it marinate for day before i drink it?

shut up wagie

i put mine in the waterbottle but not drink it. what is wrong with you nigger

I just eat them
I haven't touched a nail clipper in 10 years

Here again. How does [pic related] look?

Also, I think my mobo is introducing noise to my mic. Any suggestions for a audio card? PCI or USB? Is this the wrong place to ask?

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1003x388, 77K)

ugh, my mouth just got flooded from the back fuck it was so warm and salty.

Got some fancy cables coming in, going to go back and fix my cable management/pretty up my case. I have one of these Phanteks vertical gpu brackets here too, (and a different brand, but nicer looking gpu riser cable).
Should I install this bracket for cool factor? I have a Corsair meme-crystal 680x case, and even though I put two 120mm fans in the bottom it still has a lot of empty space under the gpu, which I'm sure is good for temps but could look snazzier.
Also anything to remember when ripping the cables out of an already built PC? besides turn it off duh

Attached: veryt.jpg (466x311, 14K)

Well I do that too, but they're in the water. Kinda like boba tea.

ignore the cable, replaced with one that's SATA III and not dumb-ass long lmfao.

my budget is $650 usd. looking for a build for muh gaming and digital art/2d animation. Might get into 3d animation and the like next year. I'll probably be buying around July/August

ok

quick question, if I buy a TN monitor for gaming can I still lean back in my chair when I watch anime

cool thanks

that's good news

>8700K
Fucking retard. Imagine recommending that old shit because AMD can't compete with 9th gen.

>Fucking retard. Imagine recommending that old shit because you don't want to have a secure computer
FTFY

Samsung Evo Plus or Pro ?

the one that's TLC and not QLC

Only a 6% performance impact for gaming with all patches installed, so?

MX500

lol imagine being okay with losing 6% of what you bought

Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 7 2700? for mostly gaming and some editing on the side.

WAIT
ONE
WEEK

SELL HIM ON WHY

NOT
MY
JOB

>quick question, if I buy a TN monitor for gaming can I still lean back in my chair when I watch anime
Of course. As long as your not looking from an angle.

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q or Acer Predator XB271HU? for 1440p/144hz