Death of the jpeg standard fucking when?

Death of the jpeg standard fucking when?
It's been a quarter of a century since its creation ffs! Why hasn't it been replaced by something newer and better? (png doesn't count, it co-exists with it)

Attached: jpeg.png (256x256, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_h5gC3EzlJg)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably after mp3 dies.

Its utility is its universality. Get over it or kill yourself.

Webp is better but nothing's compatible with that shit.

Checked

What's so bad about jpeg?

But mp3 /is/ dead. Your average Joe doesn't have his own pirated mp3 music library anymore, he just streams it via Youtube, Spotify or whatever Apple's shitty equivalent is called.
And so mp3 has been replaced by aac, vorbis and (to a lesser degree) opus.

Because no one fucking bothers to agree on something
Apple has tried to make a new format but they’re Apple they don’t have any power outside their ecosystem
Google has introduced a format almost a decade ago but the “muh evil google” types don’t want to implement it

no pressing need for a better format
good compression standards come from adversity, i.e. bandwidth and storage limitations. When those are loosened, there's no reason to further refine old, still adequate methods. Same reason many old programs were staggeringly efficient. The coders weren't showing off, they just didn't have a choice.
Look at where the real attention goes today: streaming video compression. In this area we have achieved revolutions over the last decade. Why? Because we had to.

>>Google has introduced a format almost a decade ago but the “muh evil google” types don’t want to implement it
and understandably so, because the file format is a fucking pain in the ass to parse and no users are exactly breaking down the door demanding webp support.

Also remember that story about how the airline saved hundreds of thousands of dollars by taking two olives off the salads in the in-flight meals? Webp is just Google doing that. "Hey everyone, switch to our file format! The fact that its slightly smaller will save us worthwhile money because we serve so much content!" Why should everyone be eager to help Google make a bit more money?

fucking kys. also 9/10.

JPEG will unironically outlive the human race

nothing is wrong with jpeg. OP is too stupid to know that jpeg is as good as it can possibly get.

If his beef is file size problem is he's got unrealistically low amount of space for storage.

Is his beef is quality problem is his camera a shit or just his source of photos.

... Because it doesn't just benefit Google but anyone who uses it?...
What's your point exactly?

Attached: may_need_to_word_that_differently.jpg (252x252, 6K)

That everyone else is saying "that benefit's too small to bother trying to replace an established file format that works with everything and has for decades, we have better things to be working on"

well, just to let y'all know. Very first time in my entire life fucking with webp was trying to save a image to the format and ran into this (pic related). Literally had to abandon that edit and paste the screenshot back into Irfanview so I could save it to jpeg instead. So far this is the reason I don't feel like fucking with webp.

>inb4 Irfanview
>inb4 get the fucking plugin
>inb4 save the picture as png

Attached: shiat.jpg (1915x1016, 139K)

Just to let y'all know. Second time in my life I try fucking with this format I run in into this error (pic related).

I need Irfanview with the plugins to read/write to this bullshit?. I can understand why most people say fuck this format.

Attached: shiat2.jpg (970x702, 59K)

Opus is a god-tier codec. It's a shame most real-world applications go with non-free AAC instead.

what error?

Works with paint.net pluggins.

>Death of the jpeg standard fucking when?
In a long time.

> Why hasn't it been replaced by something newer and better?
Not everyone is using JPEG at all. For example just about every srs camera has their own crappy proprietary RAW format.

And yea, that'd be the "alternative" if companies had the choice - their proprietary format. Not something nice enough like FLIF. Or AVIF if they hadn't fucked up by not defining support for 16 or even 24bit color spaces.

JPEG 2000 exists but no one adopted it.

>OlD iS bAd!1!1!
kids

JPEG is actually pretty crappy.

No efficient lossless mode.

Lossy compression features annoying generational loss on lossy mode with most actually used implementations (example: youtube.com/watch?v=_h5gC3EzlJg) which is a huge problem on the internet with the images getting reposted and recompressed by the sites that publish them all the fucking time. And it is also not very good in terms of its compression efficiency as compared to HEIF AVIF or such.

Plus on top of that it just has 8/12 bit color channels, and even the latter only if the implementation supports the "extended" version of a later standard.

based $ reality poster