/hsg/ Home Server General

Home server thread
Snuffed Weeb Edition

NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>A T T E N T I O N:
>The /hsg/ wiki is up!
hsg.shortlink.club/

Please expand it, also don't use your real name or any password when you register. Preferable use cock.li or something anonymous. Or just email the admin with the username and password you want.

>Links
server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J (embed)
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org

previous thread:

Attached: 1558513176589.png (805x634, 557K)

Other urls found in this thread:

make-linux-fast-again.com/
kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.html
serverstack.in/towerservers/
serverbasket.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get in here bois.

>recursive home servers

there is a joke in there somewhere

Attached: Untitled-2.jpg (892x899, 468K)

Ordered server parts. No boot. Fresh ram sticks commig today. Hope to join /hsg/ ranks over the long weekend.

Cheers mate, wishing you good luck on that build!

Attached: 1550963216375.jpg (1330x1200, 839K)

I'm thinking of replacing my server board. It uses a 10W quad-core Intel Atom at low frequency and that's been fine for my usage, but I'm sick of all the security holes in Intel CPUs. I'd like to go with Ryzen, but I don't need a 65W monstrosity, my current CPU is even passively cooled. What would you suggest? Embedded boards are fine. I'm ignoring Rasppis because they're a bit too low-powered.

You only must switch your hardware if you run non-trustworthy code on your server. Or other people with access can run code.

make-linux-fast-again.com/

noibrs noibpb nopti nospectre_v2 nospectre_v1 l1tf=off nospec_store_bypass_disable no_stf_barrier mds=off mitigations=off

Else wait for 5.2 and use mitigations=
kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.html

Configure to:
off

Remember, those attacks are mostly relevant on VPS of hosters, where one user can jump from one VM to another or steal its data.

Attached: make linix fast again.png (500x572, 141K)

It's wise to keep protection on in any virtual environment, because the vulns can let a successful attack on one vm to spread.

You missed the part about simply not running other people's code.

If you install every docker container off a random github, sure, then you're fucked.

No, if something you're running that you trust has a legitimate vulnerability, and it gets your vm compromised, the attacker can use speculative execution attacks to glean information about other VMs and use the information to pwn them too.
Granted, it's a small risk, and VM isolation in general is getting difficult to trust.

Guys I know it's a douche thing to ask for but can any of you intelligent anons look for a server for me on these websites?
serverstack.in/towerservers/

serverbasket.com/

I'll be using it mainly for storage, torrenting and jellyfin.
My budget is around 50,000 INR
Thanks for your time anons

>muh 0-day vuln
>I still don't run any random code off the net that could possibly exploit it
>suddenly I'm fucked

please go back to until you understand exploitation chains or come up with an attack vector that I do not voluntarily have to install and execute myself

Attached: 1545129365924.gif (200x200, 2M)

Is there any other way to have something like static IP / external IP other than buying one from ISP?
I just want to have FTP access from outside my home network

You could rent a cheap VPS and set up a VPN tunnel between that and your home network

What cheap vps do you suggest?

Looking for solutions that wouldn't involve payments, otherwise I would just buy the IP.
And to be frank I kinda like dynamic IP for a number of purposes.
Would any raspi based VPN solution be possible to just have an IP to connect to to browse files remotely?

Dynamic DNS

why not look into dynamic dns?

I'm just learning as I go guys, first time solving this kind of issue

I've had VPSs taken by shitty bots who got me with one month old Apache vulnerabilities. These days I run automatic security updates weekly on all my shit, but still lots of applications don't take security very seriously. You're basically only completely safe if you don't have anything sitting on the public internet that isn't covered by automatic updates and a security conscious community. What do you run on your servers? I doubt it's just SSH and static pages on nginx.

My current setup

> Organizr
> Portainer
> Beets
> Headphones
> Logitech Media Server
> Squeezelite Audio Client
> Deluge
> Freshrss
> Firefly III
> Netstat
> Letsencrypt + nginx proxy
> Mariadb
> Syncthing
> Airsonic
> Plik

All are in docker containers, and configuration is stored outside of the container.
Am I reaching endgame?
Any tips for improvements?
Don't have anything for movies since I don't watch TV that much

learning by doing is the best way! Any problems you run into just think of it as a personal project you don't have to spend time thinking up!

So, what's the best way to go for a home server, a big fat (for example) Ubuntu session running everything i need, or a lightweight OS with everything virtualised in containers that i can switch on and off?

whatever suits your needs/tastes/desires

If you're running on tiny hardware (really tiny, like a pi or a shitty laptop), just use Ubuntu or whatever. If you're running on anything decent, then you should probably put in the initial effort to get a virtual environment. Proxmox makes it pretty simple.

>Pi
>Ubuntu
Just go with fucking Raspbian.

>lightweight
I got an Atom-based NUC-like computer, 4GB of RAM, a Celeron quadcore and a 120GB SSD.
I'm running four debian VMs on a Centos installation and there's plenty of room for more.
Each install has between 150 and 512 MB of RAM and around 5GB of disk space.

>Atom
>Celeron

Enjoy your zombieload

Are you mocking me?

not at all - thats how I learn.

day before yesterday I satrted with the idea 'you know, I'd really like to have my cluster on an isolated network segment' - working that idea and dealing with problems I'm now knee deep in learning virsh and libvirt and sorting out network bridge plumber.

couldn't be happier.

Has anyone experience with Chelsio T3 CC2-N320E-SR and Linux (proxmox)? I found some older threads where people where having problems but i'm not sure if this is still the case.

Attached: 10gbe-dual-sfp-chelsio-t3-cc2-n320e-sr.jpg (600x338, 57K)

enjoy your down syndrome

and you're an asshole polluting the thread. hence why page 9 again. this place is just too elitist.

Thanks for the wishes user. New sticks are booting.

It's not my fault people aren't adult enough to admit I'm better than them.

Is there a such thing as an 8-to-16-port gigabit switch with like four 10G-T ports tacked onto it? There's a few (expensive) all 10G-T switches, and of course there's rackmount stuff, but that's even more expensive. And either its all 10G or there's just one 10G uplink port, and it's usually SFP+ instead of RJ45.

>Dell iDRAC logs were never cleared and have SBC Global IT department usernames and IPs
Great security guys