Html/javascript

hi I wanna know if it's worth to learn html/javascript as a first
,,programming language´´ or if I should start with something else

Attached: Download (1).jpg (300x168, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nodejs.org/en/docs/guides/getting-started-guide/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes
in fact the best way to get into programming is to go the "html -> css -> javascript -> a real language" route.

Just make sure you dont fall in the trap that most people do and stick with web shit because real programming is too hard

No go into c/c++ otherwise you will have to de niggafy your brain to learn a real programming language.

Attached: 1544993406374.gif (360x314, 2.86M)

Yes but don't go for meme framework
learn the underlying tech first aka good old JS

don't listen to this guy, he probably can't build a simple web app in less than 3 years with his C shit
unless you want to go into gayming, forget this faggot shit

Start with C then move on to something else

Kek what js library do I use to host my static html page? Suddenly C seems like a good thing.

Ahh, the champaign of colas.

Attached: le-based-legend-drink.jpg (1280x720, 41K)

javascript is weird because it runs in the browser instead of in the os. i started programming with c because there is very little to the language itself. you can grasp the language rather quickly and learn more advanced data structures and algorithms as you need them. i think there are ways to run javascript without a browser like a normal language. i would recommend running it offline in a terminal before getting tangled up in the stupid DOM mess. the web is held together with shims and dirty hacks, it's not a great place to be learning the basics of programming.

JavaScript is a "real" language, you brainlet.

>JavaScript is a "real" language, you brainlet.
real shit.

lmao pajeet spotted

Pajeets code in Java. Real shit: most peoples hate for JS is circle-jerking and indicates a lack of understanding of the language.

>lack of understanding of javascript

Attached: 385.jpg (317x267, 22K)

most people hate javascript because something as simple as creating an object is a fucking chore that requires you to reach into the guts of the implementation from the source code level. it's like they got halfway done with the implementation and said, "fuck it, just release the guts and let the kids do the rest with libraries." it's not a real language because it's not a language at all, it's one half of an interpreter that never got finished. instead of finishing the job years later they said, "lets add jit compilation to make our half finished interpreter go fast!"

>creating an object is a fucking chore

let newObj = Object();

its not just that. Javascript is riddled with unexpected behavior and minor annoyances.

function foobar(a) {
if(a === 0) {
var c = 20;
}
return c; // c is still visible.
}

[5, 12, 9, 2, 18, 1, 25].sort(); // [1, 12, 18, 2, 25, 5, 9]

16 == [16] // true
16 == [1,6] // false
"1,6" == [1,6] // true

there are many many more examples

Example 1 shows you don't understand hoisting and scope in JS. The second example shows you didn't read the documentation for the sort function, JS isn't a strongly typed language and you should account for this when writing in it. The third example uses the loose equivalence operator, which just has to be trolling on your part.

wow amazing, i didn't know you could create instances of objects before you defined them. you're acting dense on purpose. object creation in javascript requires the programmer to grab at the internals of the implementation in order to modify the function prototype. that's unacceptable for any production language.

You said "creating an object is a fucking chore". I proved that it's not.

>Example 1 shows you don't understand hoisting and scope in JS
I do, but what im saying is that this behavior is a nightmare if you are trying to do any real work.

>JS isn't a strongly typed language and you should account for this when writing in it
Again, thats all well and good but when you need to do real work (that is: not just string together some functionality to a webpage) having a loosely typed system would be nightmarish.

>The third example uses the loose equivalence operator
Again, the point is that having different equivalence operators is stupid.

Also, even despite all the language flaws, javascript isn't considered a real language because its such a high level language and so people who mainly use it tend not to know how computers actually work or how to do anything but stringify json objects and call library functions.

I mean javascript devs literally need a library to check if a number is odd or even.

creating an instance of an object is not creating an object. if i had know you were going to be a baby and try splitting hairs to justify your trash language i would have said "defining an object" instead.

The inly true way is starting with either assenbly or straight up machine code. You can't be a good programmer if you don't know how shit actually works.

[5, 12, 9, 2, 18, 1, 25].sort((a,b) => a - b); //[1, 2, 5, 9, 12, 18, 25]

is that so hard?

>instance of an object
>instance of an instance of a class
What are you even saying?

If you want block scoping then don't use var. use let instead

Jow Forums-tards hate javascript for no real reason. They mentally break down when called out on this behavior.

javascript is the #1 language to learn to make websites, make server backends, automate tasks, bots, spam, etc.

it's bad to make desktop apps or do machine learning

you're just a bad programmer my dude, all those behaviors are deterministic and expected to me, because I'm not a retard like you

you can run a server in javascript with 5 lines of code nodejs.org/en/docs/guides/getting-started-guide/

it also handles any tcp / udp based protocols.

Html isn't a language. Javascript is a bit too confusing to start with, since you're not really doing anything (if you just use it for styling that is).

Go with PHP.

I know I'll be hated for this, but here's my story.

Went to the bookstore once to browse and saw a big and brightly coloured book "Learning Programming for Absolute Noobs" or something in the title. It was on one of those tables in front of the store where impulse buying books are stacked. Now I have a CS degree, so I was curious what they taught absolute noobs these days for a language.

It was JavaScript.

Huh? I thought, and read the introduction. It said that across all available platforms, everybody has a browser. And everybody can get their hands on a simple text editor. So they chose JavaScript as that would free them of explaining how to install and use compilers and interpreters on Linux, Windows, Apple.

All that book taught was arithmetic, control flow, loops, functions, variables. And for that, JavaScript is as good a language as any.

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-05-19-14h45m40s101.png (624x480, 369K)

Based but you won't explain it to those retards.

no start with python like a white man..
than C,JAVA..
dont touch javascript unless you want to learn about web or crack servers..
this whole html path is cancer

A webserver?

you should feel bad about that piece of "code"

>As a start?
100%, there's always going to be web dev jobs too so it's not bad, if it's really that hard though, learn shell/batch scripting then move on
>Stop there?
No, there is no "stopping", always learn, dive deeper, don't stop until you can eat ANSI C and shit i386 Assembly.
C/C++ is a good next step though, maybe Go if you're a pussy

It's not bad, especially for web based stuff.
Programing is just about using the right tool for the right job and sometimes it's JS.

listen to for the most part
just don't use python after javascript because you'll want to off yourself.

back in the day, htmlcssjs helped me put 2 and 2 together: what i type on the line is what happens on the screen
start but dont end

hey i remember watching a drink review from that guy

that's a good point.
when i started programming, back in the 80s, (pretty much) every PC had MS-DOS on it, which came with a BSAIC interpreter. So anyone who had a computer could learn how to program in BASIC. It was great.
Javascript is the BASIC of today.

>picture, Uludag
Sounds Turkish.

I remember BASIC, but from the years before the PC. Homecomputers like the Sinclair Spectrum or the Commodore C64 used to have BASIC interpreters on the command line after booting up. Sure, "dialects" would vary with different computer models, but the core was the same all across.

t. butthurt js devs who cant handle the truth.
See: I'm not trying to argue that you cant use javascript to sort a list or that you cant have scoped variables, or anything else what im trying to show you is that "hoisting", loosely typed variables, and multiple equivalence operators are stupid, not helpful, and end up causing an annoyance to the programmer.

And as ive already said, even despite the language flaws (which all scripting langauges have, so i cant really blame javascript for it), javascript is basically just stringifying stuff and parsing it around from library to library. This is why its not considered a "real" language.

But hey, if you really want to be an edgy javascript dev and get paid less money than blue collar workers then be my guest.

Attached: i-have-many-skills-like-programming-i-know-javascript-mocha-ecmascript-jscript-and-livescript.jpg (400x400, 104K)

yep, those were the good old days. my friends and i all had different computers, but they all had BASIC. I programmed on Commodore PET (and SuperPET), Timex Sinclair, Commodore 64, Apple IIe.

Hoisting is irrelevant nowadays if you aren't using ancient features and versions of the language.

>and end up causing an annoyance to the programmer.

"and end up causing an annoyance to the incompetent programmer."

FTFY

All javashit programmers are incompetent by definition. If they were competent, then they would stop writing javashit.

>if I append "shit" to a word it makes me fundamentally correct.

Jow Forums disappoints me

OP you're better off with Jade, it's like HTML/CSS but better in literally every single way. Best part? It follows the exact same format/style as HTML so you learn 2 or 3 languages in one!

by better in every way, it's all to do with how it's layed out and saves you valuable writing time, as well as looking better.