/odg/ - Optical Disc General

What do you use optical discs for?

Resources:
osta.org/technology/cdqa2.htm
infogalactic.com/info/DVD-RAM
youtube.com/channel/UCy0tKL1T7wFoYcxCe0xjN6Q
^- for high-quality OD review videos

Attached: odg banner 5.jpg (4592x3056, 3.74M)

I don't even have anything that can read those fossils.

What's the best software for backing up old PC games?
Alcohol, CloneCD or something else?

#MeToo

dd

>fossils
t. Zoomer

I listen to Super Audio CDs, regular CDs, and I watch Laserdiscs and some DVDs.

Attached: 92940996-7857-420A-A387-94F02245FA72.jpg (3264x2448, 1.53M)

What do you use for reading SACD?

Nothing. The only reason I see to use them is to dump data that's not on the internet yet.
Really outdated tech.

cds are still the best way to listen to music in a car. i bought an aux cord adapter for my car when i first got a car a few year ago but come to find out they kind of suck, i don't want to mess around with my phone or an ipod when i get in my car. i just want to drive. and the cd picks up where it left off. i don't have to think about charging and storing a secondary device, it getting stolen out of my car by boogans, or trying to navigate an interface when i get in my car. it just plays my music

i flip through a stack of them in the center console and burn new ones when i get bored of them or they become scratched because they cost about 10 cents each. having dedicated hardware to do things is better and more convenient in the long term than consolidating it under one device, as much as i like the short term convenience of smartphones. i think this is what is frying millenials and gen x'ers brains, because the luxury of short term convenience is kind of the gimmick of the 21st century and they have been trained to see convenience as the ultimate goal of civilized living rather than a means of control

Attached: yeah.jpg (200x200, 8K)

Onkyo DV-SP1000, which is also my DVD player.

This thing:

Attached: DC7191C5-06C7-4FDC-8BFF-0810864BCA75.jpg (3264x2448, 1.56M)

1. burning videos that were never remastered for bluray that are only 720p anyways for view in dvd players (still better quality than compressed streaming)
2. snapshotting
3. installer disks
4. utility disks
5. cd backup in .flac format for easy organization and to have a hardcopy to transcode as newer formats come out for my rockbox player
6. digitized family albums for the dvd player

>actual shills are now pushing against optical media
This is how you know it’s good.

Checked, CDs are indeed better than mucking about with one do it all device.

I also have a similar player, but it plays BD on top of everything else. Nice.
Can you make an /odg/ disc and take a pic of it playing?

>can you make an SACD
Actually no, I don’t believe you can burn an SACD.

This Onkyo unit is a real fancy player. It was two thousand bucks new. You can turn off the video circuitry when using it as an audio player with a button on the front for the purest audio experience or whatever. The picture is quite literally amazingly better than the other players I have owned or used. It weighs 30 pounds.

I have a Pioneer Elite DV-46AV which I had before the Onkyo which I also thought was a very nice looking player. But it wasn’t nearly as good as the Onkyo.

Attached: B06454D2-119E-4129-ABE1-00EE3D1F333A.jpg (3264x2448, 1.4M)

No, I was asking for a CD, can it work with them?

I'm in the market for an internal drive. Should I go for the $60 BD drive or is it a meme? I usually just record CDs and DVDs.

Real talk here: Is $60 somehow an issue for you to part with?

The DVD drive is only $16. If BDs are done for I'd rather save the money and spent it on other shit.

Then unless you plan to write to BD or watch movies [all the software sucks shit, so far as I can tell]... might as well buy the DVD.

Bd is not a meme, especially with BDXL discs. 100Gb per disc - imagine that. Plus, BD's use Durabis coating and inorganic data layer, which means more longvevity for BD-R (unless it's HTL).

bump