Chromebooks

Why would anyone want one of these

Attached: chromebook.jpg (980x752, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en
twitter.com/AnonBabble

poverty

they don't
schools give them for free

gentoo done well

the same reason that someone would want a Mac

Cheap, light, uses Gentoo.

homosexuality

lean mean shitpost machine that can be used to run DragonflyBSD on the move

Actual work. I work in a computer repair shop and trying to find a Windows machine with the same smoothness in operation and 12-hour battery life as a $200 Lenovo C330 would set me back around $800 bare minimum.

Owning one of this bad boys. Its a better version of memepad if you only watch anime and shitpost on it.

Why would you want normalfags to use anything else?

Literally this.

>Cheap
>Fast
>Light
>No viruses
>Web browser
The perfect normie device

this

would buy one but the shit keyboard layout prevents any /comfy/ness in emacs

you can run normal Linux on it now, right?

Attached: you.jpg (665x443, 40K)

I don't understand this. I hate everything in that image you just posed. Unless you're calling me an NPC for doing work. I guess so, then. But I'm pretty redpilled, I'd say.

>But I'm pretty redpilled, I'd say
Lost.

Don't worry about it bro, that dudes brain barely works. He cant think of anything coherent to say so hell just parrot images he saw on Facebook or this board at you. You've already won, don't bother replying to that retard.

It has the same features as a Mac so why not

Unless your job is literally just web browsing I fail to see how it is going to be useful for it.

even though it's based on gentoo, it's devoid of all qualities gentoo actually has.

My job is computer repair, which I don't do with the computer itself, dumbass. I only work with help desk tickets, web browsing for infinite tabs of Google, and occasional file transfer.

Reading comics and chinese cartoonz, a 13.3 inch is close enough to a4 size to not need to zoom and an fhd ips with 8 hr battery can keep me entertained when bored away from home

I work at a university IT department and when someone brings a Chromebook to be fixed we have to turn them away for being a poorfag. Get a real computer.

So when Tyrone sneaks up on you and goes "ayy whyboi gimme yo shit" you give it to him without a second thought.

What the fuck would I need a real computer for? Not one (1) part of my job requires Windows, macOS, or Linux (although Chrome OS is technically that). Look at the Lenovo C330. It flips, has a touchscreen, looks great, and has 12 (sometimes more) hours of battery life. For the same features on a Windows machine, I'd pay a bare minimum of $1,100 (if we exclude the great battery life, about $800). Get a grip on reality, dude. "Real" computers suck unless you spend a fortune.

>he can't afford spending $1000 on something that wouldn't need upgrading for a few years
It's like you're actually retarded.

Every Chromebook I've sold has been returned within a week.

>has to upgrade his shitty Intel i9 running MichaelShaft WangBlows 10.1 Professional Plus after just four or five years
>all new Chromebooks are guaranteed bare minimum 6.5 years of support from Google, more if the manufacturer desires

Ease of use. Great for bed shitposting. Open the lid and shitpost away, don't have to worry about charging it every day either, small, passively cooled and light and touchpad near MacBook performance.

It's really just that. I still use my ThinkPad on the go, but the Chromebook is de facto bed and couch machine.

Attached: 1558764935850.png (341x334, 107K)

this and 8 hours battery is even low for a chromebook

this plus you don't have to worry about anything about the system at all
coming from linux it's really weird having everything just work without ever manually updating or touching anything, also has Android and Linux support now

All correct answers

Comfy and minimalist, pretty good experience. However the latest updates started breaking shit on mine so that sucks. They're perfect for most people.

Like what? You on stable/retail or beta?

I disabled drivefs manually so drive would work, but I was using beta, only problem I had though

I'm considering to get an old Thinkpad X220 or something for a couple of bucks and throw ChromeOS on it just to try that shit out, if have pretty much embraced the whole Google ecosystem anyway so I might as well try the OS as a cheap work laptop.

If it sucks I can still always throw Linux on it and just fuck around with it.

I use one because the battery life is great and all I use it for is remoting in using vcenter for school.
Decent dumb terminal.

There's better specs for cheaper

Can this run light weight linux distros well?

you are not using one, google is using one to control a retard behind the keyboard

It already does.
Running 3rd party OSes is not the point of it though, if you want that, buy a ThinkPad.

Stable. For instance Chrome doesn't restore all my tabs after I open it again, yet the option is activated. I submitted a report but I think it's fucked fucked. I reset it after a powerwash, nothing. I wonder if it's broken on just my machine or all Acer Chromebook 14.

Intersting. I haven't had that problem on a Chromebook, but I had a HP laptop and syncing tabs between Chrome on my desktop and laptop would cause similar behavior. Otherwise that feature has always worked fine, I share tabs between my desktop and Chromebook now too.

They're absolutely the only computer to consider for non-computer-people. There's nothing to break. Literally just works. No reason to spend more.

I use one as bedside machine since 2015

These

Security, safety, stability, and ease of use, along with being relatively cheap. Doesn't matter if it's "limited," if everything you want to do on it can still be done.

I'd never use one, but I can see why my wife's grandmother does.

1. They make good Linux machines
2. They can be librebooted
3. Great battery life
4. Most midrange Chromebooks have fhd displays

People don't want them as a computer, everyone in school thought they were crap. If you research how liked down and featureless they are, its a tablet with a keyboard. I'd rather have a hpstream.

Which one of these is worth getting as a cheap, ultra-portable writing machine for traveling? Google docs syncing is really nice and T420s seem too bulky for what I'm looking for.
>Just get a pen + paper
Paper is heavy, eventually takes up a lot of physical space, hard to back up (following the "less than 3 copies of data means you have no copies at all" mentality), can be ruined far too easily from water/ink or pencil smudging/whatever. In the end I'd have to transfer it to digital anyway so it's best starting digital for ease of access later.
>Just use a regular laptop
And have customs in whatever country fuck my ass when I don't give them my password? No thanks, I'd rather have them look at my throwaway Google account.

Define cheap.

You can pick one up sub 200 dollars if you bargain hunt. But it will have a shitty plasticky keyboard, shit 768 screen, and 2GB of RAM.

Sub 400 and your options improve. With ThinkPad quality keyboard, aluminum body, good screens with multitouch.

I'm looking at the Lenovo chromebook 14e. It starts at just under 300 with a 1080 ips screen.

Actually, that 14e Chromebook sounds exactly like what I was looking for. Thank you user.

Three years ago I bought two Chromebooks for my computer illiterate +60 yo parents. They are fine with em.

I unironically bought a "top tier" model Chromebook when they were first hitting the market for $320. Got a Toshiba CB2 (2015) model
>Intel Celeron 3215U
>4GB DDR3
>16GB M.2 based SSD storage (replaceable)
>13.3" 1080p IPS panel
>Backlit keyboard
>Skullcandy Tuned audio
>headphone jack
>USB 3.0 and MicroSD
>Headphone jack
>3-cell battery
>ChromeOS is a Gentoo fork
I get 14 hours on a single charge if I keep the screen brightness at 50%. Also idk if you know, but Google gives you a guaranteed 5 years of full support/updates/security patches. You can check your exact model here.

support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Attached: index.jpg (275x183, 8K)

They are really expensive in my country.

Attached: 02f.jpg (655x527, 59K)

Says the actual retard. "Oh no I can't upgrade in a few years boo hoo what ever will I do to get 4K G-Sync 144 fps when browsing"

Well I had no problem until that incident. I also have to add that the system became much slower. It used to be super ultra snappy, now it lags sometimes.

That's not a horrible price for "new," but The CPU and RAM are compromises I would rather not make, even back in 2015.

Attached: elitebook.png (972x259, 48K)

Attached: emmc_1.png (1366x768, 143K)

Attached: emmc_2.png (690x439, 50K)

you can install gahnoo plus linux on them.
Basically they are cheap, light linux machines with a shitty OS preinstalled.

>look I bought this device and totally ruined the point of it by installing Linux on it, instead of getting a more suitable device for Linux like a netbook formfactor ThinkPad

see

Make no mistake, it's not my only laptop. I know for a fact that my Chromebook is underpowered for it's price. I also own a moderately specced Dell Precision M4800. It's only got 16GB of RAM and the 1080p screen instead of 32GB and 1600p, but eh, what can you do?

Because a toolbar with a bunch of shortcuts to shitty google web apps looks just like a real OS.

Presuming you've got Linux running on that, I don't know why you'd need more than 16GB of RAM on it, at least for the foreseeable future. Some guy yesterday posted up some images of him running 10 youtube videos and 10 twitch streams at once, all on Linux Mint, and it still didn't break 5GB of RAM usage.

As to the screen, I feel your pain. I could probably get a DreamColor screen for my 8770w, but I can't convince myself to spend the money, even though I know I would enjoy it.

mine has a battery life of about 12 hours with arch running on it. i recently installed gentoo on it and it's down to about 10 for some reason. either way, it's the best specs you can get for < $200. the audio quality sucks bad on mine. the speakers are nice but the headphone jack is shit for some reason.

Nothing to do with Linux, Linux isn't some magic OS as people think.
macOS or Windows could do that just as easily, both are capable of running at under 1GB at idle and share the same software with Linux, aka browsers and decoders.

you fucking liar. who do you think you're impressing? gtfo summerfag.

>totally ruined the point of it
it came with windows 10 single language which i dont think i need to get into in terms of usability
without linux this lapbook is dead in water and sluggish as hell. with linux, the proof is in the picture.
>instead of getting a more suitable device for Linux like a netbook formfactor ThinkPad
implying i dont have those.

now, my question is that why are you so salty that im using these devices to their max potential possible?

Attached: muh_formfactor.png (1280x800, 245K)

>Presuming you've got Linux running on that,
nope. Windows 7 using the legit key that came with the laptop. It's my school laptop so I need it specifically for VMware, MS office, etc. I'm REALLY tempted to grab me the 3200x1600p screen for it just because. Price isn't a huge issue, it's more about the reduced battery life I'd get.

Wouldn't be so bad if you purchased an extended battery with it. Might even break even.

Yeah. That's why this thread exists:

true. I don't know. I'm tentative about sinking more money into my Intel based laptop now that all the security flaws. Tempted to grab an A series Thinkpad but I was reading about thermal issues reducing performance and the battery life being shit. Idk.

Celeron based chromebooks can fuck off only good ones are arm since celeshit heats up like an oven for no reason.
My r13 on the otherhand stays chill as a mofo compared to hp 14 YIKES .

Also of u care for android apps better get arm since android apps are optimised for it

Honestly, I think you're likely gonna be in more danger the day after W7 loses support than you are any day before, even with the intel vulnerabilities.

This isn't to say that Intel isn't fucking up hard, but if you're on W7 after support gets caught off, I think its safe to say that security isn't really a big focus of yours, anyways. And, so long as you treat the laptop like it's compromised, you should be fine using it. Just set up shit like 2FA on everything you can, and request it where it's not available.

But yeah, intel screwed the pooch pretty badly, but I think that Jow Forums is also overplaying its severity to the average person because of their CPU wars.

well Windows 7 is still supported and receiving updates until 2020. I'll move onto Windows 10 after that. And It's not so much the security of Intel CPU's affecting the every man, it's just that it's there and shouldn't be.

Yes, most modern developers are lazy. Doesn't matter what they work on.
OS overhead though is least of your worries today when it comes to memory usage, as long as you have any brain cells.

So I can slap Libreboot on somewhat modern hardware than doesn't have an x86 backdoor.

I would buy one if I could run Windows perfectly in a virtual machine. Is Crossover still shit?

Smartphones exist for a reason

Better and cheaper than Macs. Mine also runs Android.

>Better and cheaper than Macs.
You have some really low standards.

They run coreboot

normie book for people whose parents won’t buy a $1k MacBook
also the choice for schools who need a device for 9 year olds to destroy in 2 years

>buying more than you need
good goy

I have fast internet, a nice desktop and vnc.

>that spelling
you have to be 18 to post here

I have that exact Chromebook. Comfiest laptop I've owned.

What OS should I install on a Samsung Chromebook 3 XE500C13.
Specs:
Intel Celeron N3050 dual core
4 GB Ram
16 GB eMMC storage

Attached: 4chngDetourx.jpg (1000x562, 197K)

Test

This.

If you're part of the techno-priesthood then be glad there's something that can restrict the normals to a fischer price interface that the techno-priesthood can control.

>os based on smp performance
>with a 2c4t cpu
y

It was cheap, slim/portable, works good for school, has a nice touch screen
Ultimately yeah I fucking regret the shit out of it, but it was a good deal and I dont have the monies to flip it for a good windows laptop

This, my mom loves hers

they're great for females that just use facebook "on the wifi" and spending their boyfriends money on amazon.

oh yeah, i am going to buy a chromebook today!!!

got to get my freak on

Arch and a pair of programming socks would be cheaper.