Can first part of the HDD (C: 2 TB) be in MBR format, and the second part (D: 1.6TB) be in GPT?

Can first part of the HDD (C: 2 TB) be in MBR format, and the second part (D: 1.6TB) be in GPT?

Attached: Why I.png (800x600, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-and-gpt-faq
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No.

No, you obviously have no idea how partitions work.
Get out.

So in order to utilize the unallocated 1.6 TB of disk space, first I need to convert the 2 TB C: into GPT, but then, the BIOS may not recognize it, and Windows may become unbootable is this correct?

Attached: J-watt.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-and-gpt-faq
First result when searching "gpt windows". Read it

Use mbr2gpt you fucking clueless faggot. Then enable UEFI boot in BIOS and you'll be able to boot just fine.

dude, no nedd tl be aggressive because somebody doesn't know something

>mbr2gpt
Alright so which one?
And where in my BIOS is the UEFI option located?

Attached: mbr2gpt search engine suggestions.png (244x268, 6K)

no, that doesn't make sense
that's like saying you want to put two things into the same box, but the first thing needs to be in a green box, and the second thing in a blue box
you need to convert the disk to gpt, which is easy on it's own, but then it's a boot disk, which complicates things
if you have a uefi machine, then you could setup uefi booting, but i hear win7 doesn't have the greatest uefi support
you could also setup clover on the disk if you have trouble with win7's uefi support, or your machine doesn't support uefi

>partitioning a single disk
Unless you're using a laptop that can only fit one disk you're doing it wrong.

>can't decide which autocorrect solution to use

holy shit you need to stop using computers right now. Your next thread will be "I accidentally formatted my C drive, how do I recover it".

look closer, he has an dos-formatted 4TB disk
dos format only supports disks up to 2TiB, so close to half the disk can't be used
op likely installed windows in bios mode, or on a non-uefi machine, and selected the blank disk and hit next, which won't have showed him that windows formatted only the first 2TiB of the disk
i'm sure he would have done a single partition if he could, but now there isn't really a one-click way to do that, and he cant just make two partitions, either, because he's already maxed out the total disk size limit of dos format, it literally cannot address data beyond 2TiB

Install Gentoo

All this is correct, so what should I do now?

Attached: J.C. Optimistic.jpg (294x400, 36K)

if it's a fairly new install, which it looks like it might be considering you're not using IE but haven't removed the IE shortcut yet, i'd say just fuck it off and reinstall, this time ensuring you boot in uefi mode
if you boot in uefi mode, windows will default to gpt and things will just work
note: it will complain that the disk isn't currently gpt, to clear everything off the disk, hit shift+f10, enter "diskpart", "select disk 0", and "clean", then refresh and try again

-- also, if the machine does not support uefi, then there's two options;
1. setup clover or another software uefi implementation on the disk, this is a little bit complicated, and you'll need to find a tutorial on it, i've done this before to boot windows from a 3TB volume on a bios machine
2. use a

Woudn't it be easier if I convert the first 2 TB (C:) section of the HDD in GPT, and then enable the UEFI boot from the BIOS?

Attached: What.jpg (280x164, 9K)

you can convert to gpt and switch to uefi booting, then resize the partition... but the catch is that then you will need to manually make an esp (uefi boot partition) and configure windows for uefi booting
fixing windows booting had always been a clusterfuck for me, so good luck to you on that one

It just occurred to me, that before converting anything, best would be to check if the model of my motherboard supports UEFI booting?

Attached: Motherboard Name ECS G31T-M.png (800x600, 59K)

the manual has no instances of "EFI" in it, it's not an efi/uefi board

>G31
I highly doubt that a low-end LGA775 board from a decade ago has support for UEFI.
Get an external USB box and just use the drive as external storage, that way you get the whole thing. Ain't no way in hell that motherboard will ever see the entire drive via SATA.

I don't think you can both boot from that drive AND use all 4TB of it, unless you fuck around with a fake MBR on a GPT drive. It's finicky as hell and prone to break with certain Windows updates.

Just get a cheap $30 SSD and install the OS on that instead of trying to boot from what is probably also a 5400RPM slow turd.