Convince me not to buy a sound card

Inb4 external dac
This is cheaper and my pc is bare bones so no em emissions

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1121, 237K)

Other urls found in this thread:

danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2017/01/sb-audigy-series-support-pack-62.html
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1244852-REG/audioquest_dragonflyred_dragonfly_red_usb.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

just buy one they are only like 30 bucks anyway

don't do it if you plan on putting it right next to your GPU
the retarded amounts of buzzing and static it'll shit out aren't fun

otherwise go for it, great stuff

I have no local bus peripherals at all. Just a dumb zoomed but I think the sb0880 is better than the fatality, live! and the other stuff.
Are there drivers for this on Linux and does it sound worse there?

Your integrated sound is almost as good, but won't have driver issues.

I have a cheap usb sound blaster that is already better than the $1 realtek.

>posted from my logitech/creative speakers

All in all, just use your onboard.

Mostly it's onboard that's buggy and broken, specially Realtek, at least higher end sound cards have long lasting driver support.

just get an audio interface

A lot of those have absolute shit headphone amp.

Zero pont, unless you have actual issues with onboards. Older "premium" cards often measure worse than onboards. External dac with third party measurements is only reliable upgrade.

Why would you buy a soundcard when motherboard's internal cards are plenty good nowadays? If you want an autistic amplifier get an interface or dac/amp.

get one. I use Xoner DXE and like it.

They have FUCKLOADS less noise and are louder crispier than whatever shit they build into the the motherboard for free.

I would say that a soundcard or a DAC (which is the same fucking thing) is a MUST if you are using hight quality headphones such as 50$ chinese superlux or better.

My realteks pretty bland sounding
I dunno man all measurements I've seen put the sb0880 above any realkek

>My realteks pretty bland sounding
Then get better headphones or speakers you dumbfuck. "Bland" isn't a real thing. End device >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> amplifier > dac when it comes to sound quality.

>Motherboard's internal cards are plenty good
They're really, really not though

I have some nice superlux hd662 evos that sound better with the usb DAC. Logically, they should sound better with the pcie card. May get better headphones in the future.

Not really.
the amplifiers have significant effect on how the headphones sound, most built in garbage simply isn't powerful enough to drive decent headphones.

>This is cheaper
I use a ~$25 FiiO D3 and it's at least as good as any internal sound card.

Imagine being this fucking retarded.

Yeah a sound card with a decent amplifier will help you.
I know Because I too use superlux and the realkek sounds terrible with them. Realkek are by far the worst cards on the market, a usb device sounds better. a smartphone output sounds better, everything sounds better.

Want pepper with that salt?

No, I'd like you to fuck off and stop spreading literal dumbshit audiofool garbage.

I have a Xonar, I used it with a 1kw sub and two 300watt monitors.

It was excellent, even mic quality was fantastic with filtering.

But basically windows only and it's expensive +eats a pCIE slot.

>But basically windows only and it's expensive +eats a pCIE slot.

It does work on linux but with issues.
On linux it's kinda unaware of it's own amplifier and only outputs pretty low power.

for linux I would actually suggest an external simply to spare yourself the driver issues.

If you're on Linux just get a USB DAC.

Go for it.

No issue here with Audigy 2 ZS and Win 10 x64 - Plus the sound beats any modern onboard sound card i've tried, don't forget we're talking for a 2004 SC

Attached: s087y08s7.jpg (640x480, 38K)

X-fi titanium won't work on Linux?

I got a xonar dgx a few years ago for almost 10$ after my onboard decided to eat shit and turn into the static machine.

I don't regret the choice in the slightest.

>audiofool garbage
He is right though. Just because you dont understand something doesnt mean its wrong.

for starters, its got that really cool sticker.

Most decent headphones can be driven perfectly fine by modern motherboard onboard audio. All amplifier does is exactly what it states in its name, amplifies the signal. They do not have a significant fucking impact on how headphones sound, you massive retard.

>Just because you dont understand something doesnt mean its wrong
obviously here are people who don't understand and people who understand.
can you point us the physics behind his "amplifiers" not being able to "drive" decent headphone?

I wanted to make a meaningful reply, but changed my mind halfway in.

You are an absolute retard knowing nothing about electrics, probably never listened to a college physics course and likely skipped high school physics for some fucking reason thinking you know something.

Except for the ones that cant. It does have impact if amplifier does not have enough power, that is the point you fucking moron. Im not even going to mention the issue of output impedance because Im 100% sure you dont even know what that is.
You sound like massive upset poorfag who never owned decent headphones or decent anything.

What actually happened: you realized you're a dumbfuck and proceeded not to embarrass yourself any further. Good for you.

why every thread on Jow Forums eventually turns into /hpg/? we can't have nice things...
anyway though, have been thinking recently of replacing my USB audio interface with pic related
anyone have experience with this company? only real concern is adequate Linux support

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-25 Marian Seraph 8+ XLR.png (1021x638, 781K)

>You sound like massive upset poorfag who never owned decent headphones or decent anything.

More like just a retard.
Becuse thanks to the magic of chinkshit an actual Hi-Fi sound can be had for 70$ or so.

Superlux with a 20$ soundcard are actually impressive.

I have DT990 and m60x and own 3 different external amplifiers. Most of what people consider decent has low impedance or doesn't need amplifier at all. Once you go above that you might need an amplifier but that is on case to case basis because even then you have headphones that are very easy to drive. Output impedance isn't also the only thing that matters when it comes to how difficult a pair of headphones is to drive.

Claiming that amplifiers make a huge difference to sound is the most basic, retarded audiofool shit that has been posted for decades. Fuck off you brainlet.

Attached: p-616-GPS_SnakeOil_Final_1.jpg (2996x2996, 674K)

Nobody cares. Buy, don't buy. All the same to us you fucking cunt.

Whiny baby

>Claiming that amplifiers make a huge difference
Except literally no one said that. Original post was that first headphones, then amp, then dac, which is exactly right.
Claiming that amp makes no difference is just flat out false, and a misunderstanding that people who are completelly clues seem to have.
>Output impedance isn't also the only thing that matters when it comes to how difficult a pair of headphones is to drive.
You dont understand what impedance Im are talking about here, its impedance of amp, not headphones. And its the main reason why most mobo outs are not suitable for any decent audio setup, other than as dac (and even then best avoided)

>the amplifiers have significant effect on how the headphones sound
How about following the reply chain before butting in.

It actually got updated drivers? I have that card and its front-bay attachment but had to take it out due to it not having any support at the time.

>nobody replies to my post about an actual high-quality soundcard
>too busy incorrecting each other about audio

Why would you ever replace a external interface with an audio card?

>Why would you ever replace a external interface with an audio card?
latency, mostly - pcie is always going to be faster than USB...
i record bands sometimes and running 8 channels from a mixer back to the box is enough to add a couple hundred ms of latency.

Sound card can be worth it if you have decent speakers. Also to squeeze the most out of it you will want to upgrade the op-amp on the card.

I have a Xonar DS with a LME 49720 amp and it sounds way better than the motherboard sound. Considering a decent card + op amp can be had for around $50 it's worth it.

I would not waste money getting a high end card though, you start going into placebo territory there.

What op amp should I get fr the sound blaster

>placebo territory
bit depth matters though, especially if you want to play stuff loud.
most sub-$100 sound cards can't do 24 bit audio.

Don't know what you mean by updated but when i first installed Windows 10 it found them automatically through windows update, date is 2015. there is of course the Daniel_K's unofficial drivers, never tried them though danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2017/01/sb-audigy-series-support-pack-62.html

Dunno you need to check what type of amp your exact model uses and then google for the best amps of that type

A lot of it is also down to taste different amps will give you different texture. You can buy a bunch of recommended ones and see for yourself which one you like they're pretty cheap.

>op amp rolling
No. You use op amp that comes with card.
Rolling opamps does either nothing at all or causes issues because opamp specs are not followed.
Amir did a test on it, and it turned out to be complete placebo.

You're fucking wrong anyone with a working ear and hear the difference between op amps.

Link please
Can you point out the op amp in op pic

I recommend spending a bit more and get a Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5.
It is a recent released product so it would be supported better and longer than your pic related.

A bit tricky for HiFi applications as it is meant for gaymin but it can be adjusted properly for that (among other setup configurations) with figuring out how to use the software.

Put simply if you buy that it is unlikely you would have a significant need to ever upgrade for sound and can transfer it over onto different systems as you upgrade other things, etc.

Except measurements proved different. Your ears are worthless and no one cares about what you can """ hear""". Op amp rolling is audiophool placebo and if you ever did as much as spend one second to think what op amp does you would understand why.

Audiosciencereviews d10 op amp rolling in google.

I think it's this one, but this card uses Soic8 amp and those are not that easy to change

You'd want a card with Dip-8 amp those can easily be removed and replaced

Attached: 1558803119353.jpg (1600x1121, 329K)

I have a sound card because I need multiple optical inputs.

i have that card, drivers are fucked up but the card sounds fucking amazing thanks to ess sabre dac chip and good headphone amp, you can use equalizer apo instead of garbage sb connect software

It's not a problem, I have a soldering kit. Just what are recommended replacements?

based. i've never been able to justify switching to a digital-input setup, but it seems neat.

I got the latest available drivers which fortunately work fine for me (suspect this varies a lot and was concerned about that before I got it).

I have been playing with the crappy software that works, but I will probably move to using an equalizer or see if there is something in-built to Foobar2000 I can use instead.

that's nu-Jow Forums for you, all divided and full of shitheads spewing out of their containment generals

Attached: IMG_20181019_182112.jpg (452x540, 31K)

>nu
it's always been like this

i'm going outside. have a good day, guys

Y-you too

Just buy one, you can spend your money however you wish.

>It actually got updated drivers?
It should have KX Drivers, depending on which model it is exactly.
KX Drivers even work on W10 for 1998 SB Live! cards. It's fascinating, it's one of those overengineered autistic projects which only happen once every decade.

I'm on my third one. Bought the first the year they hit the market. When this one croaks I'll buy a fourth. Very capable card for what they cost these days.

Takes space and disrupts the airflow inside the case but other than that sure go ahead

For video games is a sound card more useful than a DAC?

No, I won't convince you. Do whatever you wan't.

sound cards are great why would i try to dissuade you, my bro.

sound card = "DAC"
Or rather, they're both soundcards, but what zoomers call "DAC" is just a USB soundcard.

Yeah those old cards are beasts and cheap as fuck too.
Got myself an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer which is basically the same thing as X-Fi Xtreme Music without the connector for external X-Fi console.

Works like a charm under Win 10 x64 (Creative still has driver support for it), got it for free from a friend that no longer had a PCI slot in his new PC, and I guess that's the only issue with those older cards - connectivity with new motherboards.

Attached: SB0730.jpg (800x499, 106K)

Are there any sound cards which support USB or 6.5mm ?

>USB
Don't know what you mean by that, it's not an audio connection.
>6.5mm
Yes.

Everything is an audio connection. I have some headphones with 7.1 surround, but their connection is through USB. I wonder if a USB to jack adapter would work...

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1244852-REG/audioquest_dragonflyred_dragonfly_red_usb.html

Can someone give me a quick rundown on this thing? Looks too good to be true

>I have some headphones with 7.1 surround, but their connection is through USB.
Well, in that case the soundcard is already integrated in the headphones.

God no wonder these are sold for 12.5$ in my country. My PCI is occupied by my graphics card.

>latency, mostly - pcie is always going to be faster than USB
>i record bands sometimes and running 8 channels from a mixer back to the box is enough to add a couple hundred ms of latency.

my babyface pro does 48 samples latency over usb 2, not even usb3. That's better than my previous pcie card that could not do anything under 64.

I have the same, but can't figure if it's any better than onboard.

The amplifier on the other hand is great for headphones.

It's pointless if your integrated card does not have static or buzzing

That's because it's an RME.
A pci-e RME would do even better, though.

/thread
the thread should have ended here.

Is a bad quality DAC on 32 bit going to sound any worse than an average 24 bit dac? I was also thinking of a card that supports DSD files.

That depends entirely on the specific devices.

Anything over 16 bits is irrelevant for playback unless you're doing processing like a software volume control.

>bare bones so no em emissions
Bare bones PCs also have loads of emissions.

it beats the shit out of my USB DAC and makes my microphone actually not sound like it's fucking underwater, so yeah, it's definitely an improvement.

What DAC do you have?

don't buy a soundcard or I'll track you down and stab you on each ear canal with an ice pick
convinced yet?

I have a Xonar STX and I haven't received a driver update since 2015.

-Kicks you in the balls-
I don't listen to fags who don't start their sentences with capitals and don't end their sentences with punctuation.

>fags who don't start their sentences with capitals
capitalization is gaudy. it's to be used for proper nouns only.

I won't. I bought an Audigy for like $15 and it shits on any integrated Realtek garbage.

Are you Deutsche?

phonefag confirmed
now I'm gonna stab you in the eyes too