/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires BIOS chip de-soldering), T400(s), T500, W500 (works with igpu, no DP).

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i7 8550U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117
you can directly email the creator regarding purchases
>[email protected]

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: thinkwaffle.jpg (800x800, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=127240
elitemacx86.com/threads/fix-intel-hd-graphics-3000-on-macos-mojave-10-14-x.332/
youtube.com/watch?v=8EWbP59kG7o
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkLight
newegg.com/black-lenovo-thinkpad-t450-mainstream/p/1TS-000E-0CPK6?Description=lenovo thinkpad&cm_re=lenovo_thinkpad-_-1TS-000E-0CPK6-_-Product
newegg.com/p/1TS-000E-0DK13?Description=lenovo thinkpad&cm_re=lenovo_thinkpad-_-9SIACPJ9BE0224-_-Product
ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T540p-15-6-1920x1080-i7-4800MQ-2-7GHz-SSD-240GB-NVidia-GT-730M/323772965004?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323772965004&rvr_id=0&rvr_ts=f349f5ea16a0a9cc62a3cb44fffe4914&ul_noapp=true&pageci=962f15bb-87d9-47eb-b8b7-ecbf4b3012cf&epid=524211341
aliexpress.com/item/GZEELE-NEW-for-Lenovo-Yoga-12-S1-for-Thinkpad-X230S-X240S-X250-X260-X240-Three-Button/32887375678.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Spec-Melt-L1TF-MDS-Laptop-Run
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have a working X60 Tablet. What's the best way to get the most money for it? Install a fraudulent copy of Win 10, or install Libreboot and some freetard distro like GuixSD?

On eBay right now, looking at sold listings, the Win10 ones seem to go for ~$130 + shipping. I don't wanna libreboot if no one will buy it.

I also have an R400 that I want to maximize profit on.

Are there any 4:3 Thinkpads that are actually usable today for word processing and web browsing? I've read that Core 2 Duo laptops tends to shit themselves when using modern, bloated as fuck websites.

Just installed a classic keyboard in my x230
What OS should I bestow upon my wonderful creation?

Whatever flavor of linux you're comfortable with

I don't know what to install on my M4800, i tried hackintosh but i'm too braindead for it, only managed to get to boot once and with a shit tons of errors

Does xsauc still post in here?

what do you mean by word processing? My C2D processor runs Firefox fine. Compiling it was strenuous, though.

I love the keyboard in my T420 but I decided to buy a docking station and a separate monitor.
Which keyboard (except pic related) is the closest to the feel and the general typing experience of the T420?

Attached: 2014-special-offer-Original-standard-usb-keyboard-55Y9003-trackpoint-travel-for-lenovo-thinkpad-with (640x402, 42K)

why not just get a mech?

I ordered a knockoff ultrabay for my W530 from some chink on ebay early last April. it says it shipped on April 3rd but the tracking number only says "label created, waiting for pickup" and no other updates, neither have I received it. did I get scammed?

Attached: aputhinkpad.jpg (1000x800, 301K)

Was thinking about picking up that thinkpad x1 carbon deal on lenovo's website, anything wrong with an i5 carbon compared to another model of thinkpad?

Attached: XFIa2RL.jpg (1920x1080, 630K)

Does anyone have any experience running OSX Mojave on a T420/X220, or anything that uses HD3000 graphics for that matter?
Here is the guide I'm planning on using:
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=127240

There is a fix to get the HD3000 to work with Mojave, but I've read there are some issues with screen flickering and things of that sort. I'm wondering how big of a deal this is and if it's worth installing High Sierra instead. I read a post on a YouTube video claiming that Intel Quicksync was not working, which would be a pretty big dealbreaker as well.

elitemacx86.com/threads/fix-intel-hd-graphics-3000-on-macos-mojave-10-14-x.332/

I would love to hear any advice or opinions on anyone who has experience running OSX on a thinkpad. I'm not so much interested in hearing criticisms of the OS itself, mostly just compatibility and how often updates break things.

What's the cheapest option for a thinkpad with 14'' fhd non-glare IPS screen. Other specs do not really matter, a usable trackpad is a bonus though.

yes

x200/x201 is so fucking comfy

Attached: IMG_0954.rotated.jpg (3024x4032, 2.19M)

Where did you get keyboard? Unless you are from japan

youtube.com/watch?v=8EWbP59kG7o

t440s with a t450 touchpad swap
or a t450s.
They're pretty much the same

Oh, rittle nippon space bar too small for big American hands.

from aliexpress

Thanks user!

i have an t420 with a broken screen. is it worth it to replace the screen ? Where I look its about $90CAD for a new t420 screen. I think I paid $200 for the laptop originally

Non americans from third world countries, is it better to buy from ebay and pay the shipping+tax, that buy second hand from a regional second hand seller? Or is it the same price?

could probably no-script your way out of that problem

right, i just got my hands on a T420, here are the specs:
8GB RAM
i5-2520m CPU
250GB HDD
dubs decide what i upgrade first.

So I've had my T400 for a couple months now and finally figured out what that thing at the top is
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkLight
Thinkpads are truly glorious

You used it for months and you never needed to type in the dark?

How do you avoid this tragedy?

Attached: autism-intensifier.png (330x301, 129K)

Is it possible to hackintosh a T60p?

pls respond im indecisive as fuck

Nobody here owns a thinkpad made after 2011, we dont know

Is it possible for usb C to be both thunderbolt and charging?

Hi i'm a translator and I'm looking for a work computer. I've narrowed down my options on these two.

1) newegg.com/black-lenovo-thinkpad-t450-mainstream/p/1TS-000E-0CPK6?Description=lenovo thinkpad&cm_re=lenovo_thinkpad-_-1TS-000E-0CPK6-_-Product

2) newegg.com/p/1TS-000E-0DK13?Description=lenovo thinkpad&cm_re=lenovo_thinkpad-_-9SIACPJ9BE0224-_-Product

any thoughts? I don't know too much about computers, but I know lenovo is the way to go. I just want something I can have a million tabs open on w/ little slowdown.

why my thinkpad always get dented

Nevermind, I have found the answer is yes.

Guys I already have T450s but want a faster device while not going bulky. Is a new T480s quad-core worth it? I heard you can't configure TDP in linux so I'm not sure about it.

Should i bother buying a cheap $33 SSD for my T510? The battery is shit, the mousepad is semi fucked, the screen has dents/marks and i barely use it outside of some casual internet browsing/work.

Are there any models with decent brightness? I play games and watch videos with others but I have trouble seeing things in the dark than they do. My current laptop's brightness averages at 248 cd/m2.

I'm looking at the W550s but I want to see if anyone else has other recommendations.

Attached: 1511057775962.png (658x373, 178K)

How to get rid of a stupid Vim sticker without ruining my precious thinkpad ?

the adapter goes on the motherboard, below the keyboard
It solders into dock's solder pads, converting two DP ports from dock to one eDP, making 1440p screen possible.
stick emacs logo over it

lol

user. If you were to gift a cheap-ish laptop to your parents and the "used ThinkPad" meme wasn't really working for this occasion as you can only visit them about once a year, what would you go for?

>a million tabs open
Sounds like you need 16 GB RAM, get the T450.

Hey /tpg/
I fell for your fucking meme a few years ago and damn am I ever glad I did. Threw a T420s together out of scrap parts I bought on eBay and managed to get one put together for right around $130 including the charger. I loved that little machine and still do but I have to admit, thermals on it are a fucking bear. I mean that little bastard runs HOT and I've tried quite a bit to cool it down up to and including replacing the thermal compound, which helped, not going to lie, but I'd still get a thermal shutdown playing CS:Source for too long, not ideal.

Now I decided to stop being a fucking NEET and got a job, fixing computers for the Chinese, sweet gig, and wouldn't you fucking know it but out of their scrap-heap comes an X1 Carbon, 2nd Gen, which I repaired, and purchased from my workplace at a stupidly good price. I love it, the trackpad sucks ass but I can live with it to be honest. This machine is awesome, but it's FUCKING HOT, hotter than the last one, it just doesn't shut down on me? Did I fuck up?

What's the best way to improve cooling on a Thinkpad? Besides changing thermal paste, like is there anyway to mod a physically bigger cooler?

Why not? It's only $33

Is there any Thinkpads with GTX 1060 comparable GPU while costing less than 2000$?

Anons, should I go for a T420 with Intel Core i7-2620M as a daily driver ?

How good is this T540p ?
ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T540p-15-6-1920x1080-i7-4800MQ-2-7GHz-SSD-240GB-NVidia-GT-730M/323772965004?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323772965004&rvr_id=0&rvr_ts=f349f5ea16a0a9cc62a3cb44fffe4914&ul_noapp=true&pageci=962f15bb-87d9-47eb-b8b7-ecbf4b3012cf&epid=524211341
Does it sound like a good deal? I live in germany

Should I change my driver with the last compatible one if I change to this trackpad on my x240?

aliexpress.com/item/GZEELE-NEW-for-Lenovo-Yoga-12-S1-for-Thinkpad-X230S-X240S-X250-X260-X240-Three-Button/32887375678.html

Ask if it still is under warranty, and get ur money back with calling the support

Don't drop it

x201 cutest cutepad!!

Attached: 1550162927717589.jpg (2017x1699, 2.49M)

Sugru in the corners

I don't have much experience with docking stations and the compatibility matrix you can find on Lenovo's website is a bit unclear so bear with me.
I have a T420 which has a docking port. I want to start using it with one or two monitors and a separate keyboard/mouse combo.
If I ever decide to replace the T420 with another computer, what is the latest computer (regardless of the series) I could put in its place on my docking station? Which docking station ensures the latest possible option?
Did the docking port change at any point since the T420 was released? Now USB docks seem to be popular. Is it worth using them with a non-USB3.0 laptop?

inb4 I'm a retard

>the compatibility matrix you can find on Lenovo's website is a bit unclear so bear with me

it suggests the latest USB docks are compatible with the T420 while mentioning a limited number of mechanical docking stations.
Or perhaps mechanical ones really haven't changed all that much over the years?
But then we got to the original question of the latest notebook I can use with the docking station bought for the T420. The W520?

Nowdays docks over usb c-port are popular since you can charge the nb over them,
mechanical docks and ports are becoming outdated, usb 3.0 docks are ok but cant charge over them
what is unclear with the compatibility matrix
I can help but need straight questions

i bought refurbished x240 on newegg. it came brand new i dont think it had ever been used very odd. i like it a lot though its fast even with windows 10 on there.

The last mechanical dock is the ultra docking station type 40AJ
idk about the laptop with the dock port, one of the p series, p51/s i believe
not sure

Chromebook

It's not fair bros
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Spec-Melt-L1TF-MDS-Laptop-Run

>what is unclear with the compatibility matrix

it's not that it's unclear it's just that from pic related I could assume the four marked docks are the only ones that work. Also, sometimes in descriptions of docking sttions I find in online stores more models (e.g. T530) are listed as supported by the T420 docks that on Lenovo's website. It's not that straightforward desu. Of course I'm a retard as well but not by normie standards, I think.

Forgot the pic, sorry

Attached: snip.png (1320x744, 91K)

What's the point of buying an old Thinkpad now? I'm dropping frames on 1080p video that used to play back fine on an X220 - this is crippling.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-26_03-43-31.png (771x343, 35K)

Which one should I buy, Jow Forums?

Attached: trackpad.png (1138x926, 379K)

Those are actually 2 docks, 40A8, 40A7
that are compatible

use h264ify

Just turn off the mitigations. The known javascript attacks are patched in all modern browsers and nobody gives a shit about you enough to bother actually using this to attack your ten year old laptop

I wonder will price of 4GB DDR2 SODIMMs ever go down.

Attached: 1537932595300.png (1271x515, 179K)

>DDR2
It's time to upgrade, user.

Serious question i have a toshiba l775 satelite 8y old, 4gb ram, i5-2nd gen, gt 525m, 17'3 inch hd+ screen
A really decent device, and now this shit wont work for more than couple of minutes and jt turns off due to overheating, i cleaned it like 2y ago maybe... Keyboard is defective, might probably need a new fan, would add another 4gb and max out ram so it werks normallg, but parts migght be not accesible or a bit pricey
should i just get a thinkpad?
I have a work t460, nice little shit
but i need a personal device so my company doesnt spy on me
Anyways, should i get a TP and which one for max 200 euro, eurofag here

T420/T430/X220/X230/T530/T520, stay away from anything with an i-suffix

Considering getting an L390. Never used such a high DPI screen on a laptop before. Is 1080p usable at 13.3 inches without scaling? I'll mostly be programming and browsing the web on it.

>inb4 get a T- or X-series u retard!!
if you're buying, sure

Attached: DSC_0006.jpg (6000x4000, 1.58M)

How's the customer support experience for lenovo? I'm thinking of buying one of their laptops but after looking around on the internet, i experienced countless of shitty customer service experiences by lenovo. Are they really that bad?

I work for them ask away
Its not that bad imho, and i dont think any other brand does a bettet job i still is shitty if u see the inside work

absolute god tier screen, trash everything else

Attached: 2019-05-26-1558877616.png (1920x1080, 1.95M)

I had two separate experiences here in Japan:
1) I was told to fuck off with my Russian Lenovo laptop that was still in the warranty but wasn't distributed anywhere outside of Russia and China;
2) I was serviced with no issues when my (local) T460s had an issue with its battery while still being under a warranty.

Alright. I have a couple of questions.
What's on-site support like? I've red a complaint where they claim lenovo tries their hardest to not sent someone to you even if you choosed the on-site support warranty option.
Does the support experience differ for different models or types of laptops? For example, do the support experience differ for the lenovo y series as compared to the thinkpad series?
Does the support experience differ from region to region?
Are there anything i should know about lenovo's customer support? eg. hidden fees while still on warranty, delays on replies or no reply situations.
There are many shitty experiences written online but the most common are insufficient product knowledge (Some reps even lying/giving false information about the product), Long delays to reply to problem, rude customer support and transferring the your problem over and over again. Is there any truth to this?
If i have an issue with my laptop, what mode of contact would be best to ensure the best customer experience?
Is there anything i could do to improve my experince?

1TB ssd

the gzeele one

I'm getting I/O errors and my desktop is crashing on my T420. I think the ssd I put into it is shitting the bed.

Have pic related keyboard after falling in love with it on my X220.

The typing experience is nice, but the keyboard is too much light and it moves around, unlike my X220.

Just FYI.

coreboot + quad ivy bridge

Guys im thinking of buying an A485 with Ryzen 7 Pro. I dont wanna buy Intel. What do you guys think?

says it while having a handlet president

Attached: FA4AE5C9-A06A-474F-A4E0-B12A76C70320.jpg (640x486, 63K)

>Is 1080p usable at 13.3 inches without scaling

No

>Is 1080p usable at 13.3 inches without scaling?
I can vouch that 1440p is pretty damn usable at 14", just takes a bit to get used to.

There is offer for used T440p
at my countries version of Ebay for little over $60.
It looks nearly brand new, and I checked screenshots and they were taken by seller.

I wonder whether it's stolen or some stupid boomer doesn't know how much it is really worth, should I bite?

>nobody gives a shit
I actually once found this empty root-owned folder in /tmp on a Xubuntu install. Couldn't figure out what had created it and saw nothing access it again.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-04-14_02-49-29.png (356x165, 10K)

Okay, so I'm getting an X220 soon and the seller reports a 2.5 hour battery life on Windows 7. So I immediately thought about getting a new battery for it. Where can I find good and cheap 9 cells? Also, anywhere I can find cheap battery slices?

KHY
>no contest

Check/ask if the BOOKS is locked

You're right, thanks. The question remains: is it worth buying such a dock to hook it up to the laptop using USB2.0? Won't the performance suffer?
Also,

>BOOKS
BIOS*

1080p is perfect at 14.1" and works just fine at 13.3"

Is it safe having an x220 (or any laptop) hovering around 60°-70° at idle? or is it even normal? otherwise the fans would be at max all the time

Get a slightly used one, depreciation is massive on thinkpads, and the warranty is still 3yrs

well if you don't use it anyway then no
but prehaps you could try to rescue it, you could quite easily replace almost everything you've mentioned, and then you maybe use it more often

I ordered some stuff from the chinks and I'm gonna have a god-tier thinkpad:
>t480
>i7-8650u
>MX150
>72+24WH
>16GB DDR4 2400
>1TB SSD NVME
>WQHD HDR AUO screen from X1C6

Literally better than anything on the market, can't wait guise

Why doesn't coreboot support any of the T-Nupads?
They have support for the carbon X1.
Is there any hope with the T495?