Will we ever go back to the comfy world of dumb terminals and mainframes?

usesthis.com/interviews/rob.pike/

>This is 2012 and we're still stitching together little microcomputers with HTTPS and ssh and calling it revolutionary. I sorely miss the unified system view of the world we had at Bell Labs, and the way things are going that seems unlikely to come back any time soon

Why does computing suck so much these days? I am so fucking tired of carrying 4 fucking computers with me all the time. I want to have my hole folder and system state live on the network, not on my fucking local storage!!

>inb4 idiot zoomers who grew up with Windows XP have no idea what I am talking about

Attached: 34432322.png (945x966, 277K)

What's a hole folder?

*home folder

you don't know what you're talking about

>macfaggot
>literal faggot
Opinion discarded.

sdf.org

t. dumb zoomer who can't even open a network socket

Have you heard of the cloud?

Have an iPhone/Mac? Use iCloud
Have a Windows Phone/Windows PC? Use OneDrive
Have literally anything else? Use DropBox.

Ignore the fact that you're uploading all your personal info and files to a corporation.

is this asshole responsible for /dev/input/mice

opened a socket in youre mum last night just fine lmao

You can already do this. Buy an r710, install Proxmox, and stop shitting up the board with your technical incompetence you retarded boomerposter.

t. read first chapter of ccna this morning

Then use nextcloud you moron.

>zoomers
>window xp
you sound like a retarded zoomer tbkh,
go suckle rob pikes gopher dong some more

Attached: PhotoEditor_20190525_202843955.jpg (837x720, 551K)

Not the same thing you dumbfuck.

Do any of you use acme?

unified computing is an overcomplicated meme and plan9 sucked. just deal with it. best you can do is write better userspace tooling that makes the painful parts as seamless as possible. syncthing comes somewhat close for some things, but short in other ways, but it's at least progress unlike demanding we exposed literally everything, even the cpu, as some kind of network attachable fd.

Nope. It's all thin clients and cloud computing here on out.

>SaaS is cancer
>let's go back to timeshare servers and dumb terminals
So many RICERs who have never programmed a large project, only shell scripts and CS101 shit
Probably meme against Systemd, PHP, Rust too.

Attached: image0-2.jpg (1024x1280, 88K)

You are the retarded zoomer.

I remember the time where I *owned* my computer, where I could open it and maintain it, where I had access to the entire OS and the entire hardware.

The only reason this faggot is promoting the cloud is that he's working for Google, who wants to own all your data.

>that he's working for Google, who wants to own all your data.

Wrong, is the same vision he had when he worked at bell labs, nice try.

Nowhere in this thread nor in the link it says that you can't do it yourself, fucking imbecile.

Vagina

benis

Mouse chording is turbonigger-tier

t. mentallly ill emacs/vim users.

You must feel so hardcore using all those keybindings, I bet you even downloaded some gay addon so your browsers uses them too. Thank god I stopped using those shitty Unix editors before it was too late.

>all this projecting for being too much of a brainlet to learn some keybindings
sad desu
the beauty of this board is how easily people show off their insecurities without being even mildly prompted to do so

And you must feel so smug for using a shitty gimped text editor just because it's different.
Rob Pike is a cringe tranny who hates everything good because he didn't make it, which is why he always comes up with shitty ideas like Go and Acme just so something good sticks to his name, besides being a tranny working at Google.
Fuck trannies.

Attached: cheadlespeaks.jpg (591x591, 57K)

>calling emacs a shitty Unix editor
>acme
Plan9 and every associated software is turbo-UNIX. A giant clusterfuck of a system, gimped for "elegance" (Rob couldn't implement a feature) and aborted by Bell Labs because it was too shit, even for their own standards

I hate that shit, atrocious. Also defaulting the terminal to no scroll? So fuckin’ gay.

Plan 9 needs a little spit and polish but it’s workable. Practically unbloated as it is. I compiled the whole system, kernel, and compilers in like 2 minutes flat.

What it needs is an emacs port to piss off the core team. Then it could be tolerated.

>the faggot who is going to kill himself because he will never pass as a woman is in favor of system d
Color me shocked.

Plan 9 could be a lot better with a better editor. I’m working on one in my spare time as I teach myself Plan 9 C and the system in general. It’s a Pico clone and it’s not ambitious. I want to port emacs.

Wanna guess how I know that you have no fucking clue what the fuck you are talking about?
You're idolising fucking mainframes. If you were alive at the time you wouldn't do that. But you sure do fit in with the zoomer shit kiddo.

Buy a chromebook or cloudbook or whatever they're calling cloud computing these days, and give all your data and files to Google.

I and most other people *want* our files to be on our local harddrive, and having full control over where our stuff is.

If you care this much about a niche solution build your own home file-server, and connect to it when you're out and about with a thin client. Or use one of the many cloud solutions and give away your data.