Why is this allowed?

Why is this allowed?

>Nvidia has filed before the European Union Intellectual Property Office for ownership of the numbers 3080, 4080 and 5080 in an attempt to stop AMD from using the nomenclature for the red chipmaker's upcoming Navi gaming graphics cards.

>Nvidia felt threatened when the rumor got out that AMD could use the RX 30-series branding for its Navi offerings, such as RX 3080, RX 3070 and RX 3060. For one, Navi would definitely overshadow Nvidia's Turing graphics cards, which are currently marketed under the RTX 20-series. Normal logic says that the higher the model number, the better. An uninformed buyer would think that an RX 3060 is faster than an RTX 2060.

>By filing for the 3080, 4080 and 5080 trademarks in the graphics world, Nvidia hopes to discourage AMD from using the 30-series for Navi while also ensuring its future for at least another two generations of graphics cards.

Attached: Screenshot_20190526_020313.jpg (1080x1272, 306K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milka
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>mfw AMD revives the old numbering system and releases a dual-gpu RX-3090 as the flagship

Attached: a91b4037.jpg (400x525, 34K)

Or just call it RX 6080, just to fuck with Nvidia.

I definitely prefer AMD, but trying to hijack everyone's naming conventions is retarded.

Just like with Ryzen- AMD's system made more sense, then they switched to a more asinine one.

Ah yes but nvidias gtx 9800 in no way could be construed as better than a 4870, for instance

Nigga just change a few numbers around
>rx 3800
>rx 4800
>rx 5800

This is probably what AMD will do.

>I definitely prefer AMD, but trying to hijack everyone's naming conventions is retarded.
they are not trying to hijack anything.
3000 series on the cpus, 3000 series on the gpus.

also, you can't trademark numbers

Pffftt ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *inhales* ahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh man this is going to be good. This is going to be like that one time Disney tried to copyright The Day Of The Dead festival. Oh man, like copyrighting Christmas.

Imagine copyrighting 1337, 007, 404, 666, 2020, 2021, 911, 1991, 1942, etc.

You can't copyright numbers.

>Why is this allowed?
I don't think it is, seeing as how Intel chose the Pentium name instead of 80586 precisely because numbers can't be trademarked.

This reminds me of that 1 time some retarded CEO tried to trademark the concept of livestreaming games/ let's plays.

I can't remember who it was...

So I'm never getting my 1180ti?
Fuck Nvidia

can't wait to buy my Radeon 1488 GPU

In what country you can trademark a fucking number?

Idk why its allowed for amd to copy nvidia skews ever gen to trick people into buying their space heaters. Clearly this is not in the consumers best intrest for amd to copy skew numbers to mislead consumers.

Its a copy right of a brand name fucktard and "rx 3080" is not a number its a string

Sorry i meant they copied intels b350 skew forcing them to do b360 and now they want to copy nvidias skew. Really fucking sad desu.

What's up Jen Hsun?

Also copied the nonsensical Core i3/5/7

Too weak to stand on their own products and branding

>nvidia naming a graphics card after a shitty dota2 team
yikes and bluepilled

you could do it in france.
Peugeot trademarked all the x0x; x=[1,9] because the 0 in the middle was a great place to put the starter lever and you could avoid having "ugly" holes on the front of the car.
but that was 100 years ago.

according to the article, they are trying to trademark the number.
novidia is claiming that samsung has the galaxy s9 and apple has the iphone 9s and their idiots would mistake the samsung for the iphone.
it seems to me that novidia knows their audience, novidiots, and their are trying to pee on thheir brand name, like dogs do to corners.

I would prefer AMD sticking with something more consistent like having an R11 680.

Still, jumping from 500 to 3000 makes more sense than 900/1000/2000-1600

Where the fuck did the 1600 name come from anyway?

It makes sense to copy the more well known naming convetion of your competitor so people know without thinking what's comprable to what

>according to the screenshot of a click b8 article written by Zhiye Liu on poojeet website
false pretense

Attached: fgsfds.jpg (335x352, 25K)

Someone must force RTG to pick and keep with naming pattern.

Sure if all you care about is shilling and misleading people into buying your product by accident. The normal amdrone agenda. Get tricked, try to cope, trick others, cope together

Didn't someone make a post a few days ago of them trying to do this in the US?

>Still, jumping from 500 to 3000 makes more sense than 900/1000/2000-1600
I said above
>3000 series on the cpus, 3000 series on the gpus.

He's right though. With Intel at least Ryzen was on par in multi-threaded performance and a better value. Right now RTG is losing every battle above $200 as well as the entire laptop market. inb4 some amdtard goes on about how it's unfair the 1050ti outsells the 570, it's because of laptops.

3080,5 and 4080,5... kek

You can trademark anything if it's for a specific purpose.
Fucking Cadbury has the colour purple trademarked for chocolate packaging.

Guess I'll get myself an RX 8800000XX Xeforce Extreme ZZZZ v.9000 - RGB compatible.

>Why is this allowed?
Because america is high on crooked jewpitalism. Embrace the free market, intellectual """""properties""""" is a immoral and anti-intellectual statist fraud.

>>Nvidia has filed before the European Union Intellectual Property Office

It's not legal in the US, only the EU

This would be very based.

AHAHAHAHZAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA
DESPERATE! THEY ARE FUCKING DESPERATE TO DELAY THE INEVITABLE!

Attached: 6dBt2Oj.jpg (251x242, 15K)

too bad, I already wrote down 4080 on my 3d printer. It's my number.

all of their naming conventions are really fucking stupid
it should be called:
CPU1, CPU2, CPU3 etc
and GPU1, GPU2, GPU3 etc
wow, so hard.

>t.jealous leather jacket man who cannot come up with spicy names and memes like ayymd

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milka

???

Milka and Cadbury are part of the same conglomerate (Kraft)

Attached: Cadbury Chips Ahoy Chocolate Vs Milka Chips Ahoy.jpg (800x732, 109K)

Another muh usa fag btfo. Love it.

>Get tricked, try to cope, trick others, cope together
That sure made me think. How's your hyperthreading by the way?

it was funny when it was minor shit like chipset names but now it's just pathetic

Unless AMD plans to release new CPUs and GPUs at the same time from now and forever in the future, it's absolutely retarded to claim matching number scheme.

FineBros tried copyrighting reaction videos due to their "reacts to" series despite it not even being original. They lost a huge amount of subs and their view count fell dramatically afterwards.

AMD can just release the Navi cards as RX3850, RX3750 and RX3650.

Attached: 312-front_small.jpg (510x270, 56K)

They say that the 1600 have this number and not 1100 because 16 is closer to 20 than 11 is. Something like that.

it's just like how Intel couldn't trademark 386,486,... so they branded 586 CPU as Pentium.
no way this can hold

Attached: 1558146029364.png (540x540, 94K)

Why not just add 1?
RX 2081 VS RTX 2080

>tricked
Literally nobody had bought AMD by accident, ever. The amount of shilling and retardation by retailers prevents that.

real world in game fps benchmark videos on youtube are the only thing that matters. amd could release a card called the gaycard 1, wouldn't matter

Is naming it the RX ThirtyEighty allowed, if for some reason the numbers themselves are trademarked? It could be some loophole they can use for giggles.

This is the retardation of '''''''intellectual property''''''''''
Jesus f'ing Christ, I fucking hate Trademarks. This is just childish and absolutely stupid. God I hate corporations and hope the lawyers all die of cancer or get raped in the ass by a hung negro. Aaaargh, my prose isn't good enough to express my feelings at this moment.
FUCK NVIDEA

Attached: Stallman 1.jpg (1200x800, 68K)

>It could be some loophole they can use for giggles.

No, I mean keep it exactly the same number, except just using the words instead the numbering system. It would make the whole thing look more pointless for Nvidia and more embarrassing that way.

>Normal logic says that the higher the model number, the better. An uninformed buyer would think that an RX 3060 is faster than an RTX 2060.
So normal = retarded now?
>inb4 now

Attached: 1488446042820.png (613x619, 147K)

most people who buy video cards are unironically retarded

they couldn't tell you the difference between an ALU and an FPU, or which vendor has a better fixed-function video code block

Millions have been trolled into fx cpus because it had "8 cores" (class action lawsuit proved to a judge otherwise)

Hello, yes, I would like two RX 8080 please.

AMD continues to try to trick customers with stealing the nomenclature of successful companies. What nvidia did here is good for the customer because this way they don't accidentally buy an inferior amd product.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 150K)

>Numbers are now trademarks
topkek

Kek. That is a clever idea.

It's america, they are so corrupted and mentally retarded that they would actually let you do that.

I'm just done with them, their linux drivers are absolute dogshit and the amount of time I've lost troubleshooting them is vastly outweighed by how much time/energy I might have saved during my model training

with AMD I "dpkg -i amd.deb" or "rpm -i amd.rpm" and I'm done.

Ryzen is what people are focusing on in $current_year and it has nothing to do with FX CPUs. Also this thread is about GPUs.

>trademark a number

Attached: 1552421126011.png (784x148, 36K)

Nvidia has been using the X080 naming scheme for a long long time.
Post proof that their motivation was to hinder AMD and not just to protect their own brand and make sure that AMD didn't squat on those trademarks that Nvidia intended to use.

Move the goalpost more poonigger not all of use are zoomers who are clueless of amds shitty past

Just add RX and it differentiates it.

RX is too close to RTX and could cause market confusion which is one of the things that trademarks are supposed to prevent

Radeon should be enough

RX 3086
intel and nvidia at the same time

>you can trademark numbers now
the state of this world

>claiming legal ownership over random numbers
Copyright laws are the greatest fucking kikery this world has ever seen.

based

Couldn't they just go back to the old ATI day?
7xxx, SE, Pro and XT.

The 1600s are literally just stopgap cards Nvidia shit out to compete with the Radeon VII. They had already release the 2000 line and had to release a dialed back Turing. They didn't want to name it something like "2040" because that makes it sound TOO budget when it's more midrange.

>AYYMD

Attached: 1532143203634.png (1269x756, 54K)

Attached: 1552918220470.png (1267x783, 25K)

>lower is better

Precisely because AYYMD has historyically been shown to copy both Intel and Nvidia naming schemes to try and place their product numbering "higher" to trick unwitting consumers who only understand "higher number = good!"
see

I'm guessing that the copyright in this case would only apply for similar products, so graphic cards. You can also copyright colors and it works that way so i assume it's something similar.

5080 confirmed. nvidia not closing down in 3 years!

>You can also copyright colors
what? this is beyond retarded, what are they going to copyright next? number of electrons in material? typing this made me realize they probably will when the material science reaches that point.

>ownership of the numbers
What kind of fucked up world are we living in? I thought after intel failed to copyright letter i, people would stop with this stupid shit.

Attached: 1558774670921.webm (700x700, 2.96M)

the X was for 10000 you know

I did not know that. You just blew my mind

Attached: D5_c4rEW4AAccpl.jpg (1020x634, 167K)

We live in this world because Hitler failed.

Cute

I can't believe I'm saying this but Intel probably has the best numbering system. It has worked for them for the past 10 years. And yes, it's a extremely misleading with their bullshit ULV cpus and variations, but at least I can tell what year it came out, how powerful it might be, and what to expect, even with all of the changes including their introduction of the fanless cpus. When I buy a computer, usually the entire processor model is spelled out clearly. To the average consumer, sure, they won't know shit. But for most of us it isn't that hard to figure out

But for most companies, they always fuck up the numbering and models. Apple in particular is probably the worst. "muh early 2018 Macbook pro with i5 processor!" uh i5 what? oh, it's a ULV processor, how the fuck does that qualify for being "pro" in any way?

Uh?

>Hitler failed
Wake up, it was not a failure.

ugh... what could have been...

Attached: 1537026317592.jpg (1392x1600, 551K)

Big lipped monkey nigger detected.

based