I’m 23 and interning at a large company in the western US...

i’m 23 and interning at a large company in the western US, i’m finishing my CS degree in 3 weeks and the company has begun the process of moving me into a full time position. I saw some of the HR paperwork (not supposed to, manager is an old boomer and opened it in front of me) and it said something along the lines of Salary for position:
Minimum value: $60,000
Maximum value: $70,000

my manager said “ah we will discuss that later” so i’m assuming there’s some negotiation involved in the transition, as other employees who are full time have mentioned as well.

Would it be too arrogant to ask for the max amount? I was thinking of asking for $68,000 and justifying my reasons why being:

I have 1 year with the company at this point, as they let me stay since i first started interning last summer

my degree is from a top 10 public university, and it’s pure computer science

i’ve been managing, as an intern, a contractor from wuhan china for about 8 of these months now. he reports to me and i delegate work to him and his progress at each daily stand up.

i am going to have (and willing) to help the new interns were about to get for this summer. Get them onboard with things much faster.

I also was able to produce results and viable product to the company while being an intern AND finishing my degree.

Plus, the average entry level in this area according to various job websites is $80k a year, so i am pretty underpaid compared to everyone else.

Any thoughts or tips, Jow Forums? Ask for 68k or 70k?

Attached: 59AE4AE2-801E-4306-93E6-4A2BE10DB309.jpg (750x878, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

employersgroup.com/blog/california-announced-2019-exemption-rates-computer-software-licensed-professional
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

shameless bump?

>reddit spacing
>iphone filename
>blogposting
>burger
kill yourself

Degrees are bullshit, having experience in that specific position and having given value to the company is your leverage.

Put yourself in your boss's position, is there anyone else at hand to fill in your position? How easily can that be done? how much would it cost? how many interviews did you have to pass?

You need to first ask if the salary is negotiable, then you say you have a number in mind, make it specific and don't round it:

[X] - 75,000
[] - 74,265

Then negotiate down, to a "manageable" number like 70 or 68.

i don’t get the whole reddit spacing thing. I never even go on reddit and i’ve been visiting Jow Forums since 2007, id rather breakdown my words into something more readable than a wall of text, and spacing is pretty much the only way to do so on Jow Forums...?

yes i’m on my iphone in bed, so what?

kill yourself

Yeah, they are bullshit, but in this company they seem to be necessary, as there are some full time employees who were interns for years while they lagged in their studies. I know two of them who were interns for 3 years, and when they finally got their degree they were moved into a full time position, despite doing the work of a full time employee as intern. That’s why I thought it’d be decent to mention. I guess i’m lucky because the company drags their ass on moving interns into full time positions, too. Tons of HR bullshit and red tape to deal with before it can even happen. My timing was perfect.

Thanks for the advice, I really really do not want to make anything lower than 65,000. My dumb girlfriend has a business degree and makes 61k as an area manager at amazon, which depresses me because she was had it easy throughout school and almost makes as much as me. But she works like 50+ hours a week so there’s that.

Did a redditor steal your girlfriend?

It is a bummer mate, but that's how it works. Autistic engineers bust their ass to end up being 'managed' by the brain dead business majors.

Being above average (regarding my working experience) I have managed to move into remote consulting and development to earn 3 times the average dev salary. I haven't graduated yet but some of my friends who have make a bit over a third of what I do and my HS friends who went into management and have already graduated are struggling to find jobs although when they do get one they will earn half of what I do.

Be smart and hop between jobs about once every 2 years, your income will keep increasing.

70k is extremely low for the west coast. If you really went to a top 10 university you should be aiming for 100k in salary alone.

Kys newfag zoomer

>the average entry level in this area according to various job websites is $80k a year
So ask for $80k. List off the reasons you just gave us. Make your case; brag about yourself and your accomplishments.

>programming position on the west coast
>60k-70k
tell them to give you 80k at least you pussy.

Yes, I know. It’s ridiculous on how little this company pays, full time employees warned me about it. It’s a very very large and well known company in the industrial software business, too.

I’m only staying for 2 years most likely. The reason I haven’t looked elsewhere is because working here made me realize how little you actually learn in school. The workload and stress here is extremely low, too, which may or may not be a plus depending on how you look at things. I think they only assign me around 20 hours of work a week, most of the time it’s less. I’ve been using my free time to really learn C#, PowerShell, design patterns, and other software development processes we practice here in my free time (I work on internal tools written in PowerShell and C#) on top of leetcode for the interviews i’ll eventually have. So this isn’t where I want to stay forever. Some of my team members make over six figures because they’ve been here forever and they honestly do nothing all day. That life seems boring to me though

1995 is zoomer? No it’s not.

It is

Yes retard

1995 is millennial

Cope newfag

kill yourself

Just ask for above market rate and then negotiate down.

Also if you are a top 10 school and concerned about TC, then why not apply to FANG+? New grads at those companies easily clear 150+

I’m not prepared enough, honestly.

Lol zoomer >> millenial.
Where in the western US? Unless it's in the potato fields of Idaho, if you're in Bay Area or Seattle or any other decent place, anything below 100k is poverty.

the company is in orange county. I live in riverside county, which is much cheaper than OC.

i want to reborn as a gringo jesus christ

Attached: dnjxkfkfvgc11.jpg (250x205, 11K)

Have some ambition, reach higher.

I know I should, but i’m still learning a ton at the company I work for currently and i’ll use those skills in the future. I haven’t done any hackerrank/leetcode since last summer so i’m rusty with that kind of stuff. And being a white male probably doesn’t help.

A piece of advice, that many people here are voicing, and that you really should take to heart, ESPECIALLY if it feels uncomfortable to you, is that you should negotiate, and should negotiate hard.
Also, don't let those numbers you saw influence you. Go higher. If they want you after your internship, then they really want you. You're literally finishing a year-long onsite interview with them, so if you they want you to stay, that means they really believe you'd be a great long term addition to the team.
I was in a similar situation, got a full time offer after an internship, and negotiated 20k up from their initial offer, way above their bounds for newgrads.
Good luck!

Dude in do data analysis in the Bay area and I make 65k. I just got this job graduating from a local state school ranked 235. 0 internships.

If you have a big tech internship and from a top 10 school you should be making 70 minimum.

Pussies like you make me sick. I have a degree in econ and I literally took classes based on the math of salary negotiating. It's so easy to make out in the range. But everyone's too scared.

I will literally coach you for a small percentage of the salary differential you will earn.

Something like 1% of anything you earn over 70k. I am serious. Reply for email.

If the position is a software developer position and exempt aka salary, then the minimum they can pay you is ~91k as a fresh graduate.

My current job wanted to start me at like 75k untill my 2nd line said I need to be exempt for on call stuff, plus I do production stuff. HR said "ok, we have to pay him $90,xxx cause of this California law." My starting pay was 91k.

here
Found a quick url for 2019.

employersgroup.com/blog/california-announced-2019-exemption-rates-computer-software-licensed-professional

So it’s the law to pay any software engineer in Cali 91k minimum..?

These posts have inspired to me to be more confident in myself. Thanks guys.

>i’ve been managing, as an intern, a contractor from wuhan china for about 8 of these months now.
Find a different company, yours is fucking retarded.

yeah idk i questioned it at first too but i’ll just use it to my advantage and plus i’m getting experience with working with these people on top of language barrier and then being half a day ahead.

the horror stories about contractors are 100% real

Do you remember 9/11?

Yes, i remembering seeing the towers with smoke and my parents watching it all day.

i also remember dial up. i would have my dad sign into his AOL account and websites would take like minutes to load. I remember the screeching noise of dial up and my mother complaining that we couldn’t use the house phone while we were online

I've worked with a handful of companies that thought it would be a good idea to outsource certain tasks. They had the sense not to outsource to China but India really isn't much better.

Don't listen to him he's a faggot. If you've been browsing since 2007 you should have learned not to feed, newfag.

the company I work for uses both india and china at the same time. Tata, Cognizant, and Wistron.

OP what the fuck???
That salary range is what I'm making as an software eng. Intern in California. I go to a very prestigious school but that's beside the point.

If you're actually coming from a top 10 school and you're not a dumbfuck, you should make at least 100k

I don't know which state you're in in the western U.S. but $65,000 is about the starting salary of any CS major. Haven't you lined up interviews with any other companies? If you're at a truly good CS program and you actually know something, I think the salary range your company as is pretty lousy unless there are incredible benefits.

If you've dawdled or something and only have this company, I guess you have no real choice but to accept the offer but I would recommend that you start looking for work almost immediately. In today's market, you should be able to break $100K with just two year's experience if you're any good and that's not even working in places like Silicon Valley. In the valley, I'd expect something on the order of $100K+ unless I were an idiot or an immigrant from a shit hole.

>70k
>western US
enjoy living on foodstamps

As long as they're exempt, yes. There is an hourly rate, monthly rate, and yearly rate minimum for "overtime exempt computer professionals". Look it up.