Have you fallen for the game developer meme?

1/3 of the people who I talk to say they got into programming because they want to make video games. So, why haven't you became a game developer yet Jow Forums?

Attached: 1516403881544.png (300x205, 107K)

I fell for two months but when I saw it's almost impossible to do it alone without any art knowledge, I gave up.

I had already dropped out of CS for Math before the crunch stories started coming out ... dodged a bullet on that one

>art knowledge
>knowledge
user, I...

>he thinks art isn't just knowing how to make a bunch of lines seem pretty
>he thinks music isn't a science

Kekerino

Yes. I fell for the vydia dev meme.

music isn't a science.
music is a skill, just like plumbing and coding.

I have

I fell for the vidya meme.

Then I started mingling with vidya devs and learned how shitty the industry was treating them. This was many years ago. They're just now starting to speak up about it but nothing's gonna happen as a result. If vidya goes union, it will be the end of vidya.

Most games are shit these days. It's either "let's take some old game that was good and totally redo it but also fuck up everything that made it good and re-release it" mentality or lets make this game but hey "we don't need a story or plot or anything long as it's got fancy graphics it'll sell like crack" deal.

Things went downhill past the PS1/PS2/Xbox era. Then really shit after the 360 era.

music is math, like coding
I've done my free games dude.

Actually game development skills are transferable to other areas that do make money. i.e. Arch viz, enterprise simulation. Both of these you can essentially make a video game for practical purposes.

haven't you ever heard music that was technically impressive but so uninspired that it evokes no emotional response?
that's what happens if you don't have feels to put into your art

I entered uni wanting to be a game dev. After my data structures class I went to my first VR class. The amount of dumb things people did to optimize their code or to make it "just werk" to the player gave me an aneurysm.

Attached: 1509051897535.png (350x421, 115K)

>2 years ago he said Yandere Simulator would release in 2k19
>almost halfway through 2k19 and he hasn't even completed the first rival yet
I stopped watching his monthly blogs a couple of years ago. It's obvious at this point that this hack is just trying to mooch off of this project as much as possible. His patrons incentivize him to do as little work as possible.

meme dev, game is 5 years in development and first reveal is still not finished kek

rival*, pardon my autism

Attached: amiretarded.jpg (665x574, 29K)

genre? tech used?
post screen

>haven't you ever heard music that was technically impressive but so uninspired that it evokes no emotional response?
No. Care to give an example?

nvm I tought you were talking about you.

Find any music theory channel and listen to their original stuff.

>alone

Found your problem you retarded crybaby agoraphobic manchild

Yandev still makes $1000s per month last time I checked despite not even working on his game. He could've easily finished it by now if he would just get off his ass. His problems have more to do with himself than game dev, in terms of makin money via game dev he's a success story. His games aren't.

Welcome to real life. If you do anything with programming you'll have aneurysms everyday

i taught myself programming because i wanted to become a hacker, but now i just want to write shitty programs and make a video game. while i was attending a technical school i met two guys who use linux and like to program too, we have been talking about making a game but so far one of the guys is a ghost (he seldom participates in the group) and the other is too busy with school to make any meaningful contributions to the project. if this project will be finished it will be done by myself, their ideas suck anyway. the problem is that i am really only comfortable with programming and i don't have any artistic ability. i can find people to help me but i intend to sell the game on steam or something so they would be getting a cut, besides it is so frustrating working with other people and it is especially frustrating working with other programmers because all the programmers i have met so far do a half-ass job and their code doesn't even compile and they tell me to take it or leave it for fuck's sake. it's bullshit i tell you, but whatever. i work a shitty minimum wage job and i don't have much to lose so i am willing to risk anything and everything to potentially make some good money with video games.

Attached: hotsauce.jpg (625x472, 31K)

>his nose got even bigger

I can make 2d multiplayer games in the browser, but I can't think of anything fun to make... I also try to optimize everything, so I get stuck on learning algorithms like the Separating Axis theorem, A*, using quad trees to minimizes collision checks, or learning how to use a hash table to keep track of nearby objects. It's a lot, and this is just for simple 2d games...

I'm also very terrible at art. I can write games, I just can't create them. I might start making an H game in the future though using sprite sheets.
I'm currently creating a REST web app and writing things. So far I've made a dashboard that users can use to manage their data and look at pretty graphs of it. I'm going to add a cholopleth graph in the future hopefully, so I'll need to use an api for that.

It's very hard to make games. There's an xkcd comic that describes the knowledge you need for it. It's no surprise everyone who makes games are using large environments like Unity or Unreal to create them. Nobody writes out algorithms anymore lol

Yeah, making games is a multiskill task. You need programming, visual art, music, and writing knowledge. Being good at all these things is impossible unless you're top-tier genius polymath.

For example look at Zun. His drawings are pretty bad. His music is top-tier though. Programming a shmup is not that hard. So, he's great in one thing, good in the other, and bad at the last thing.

Attached: Touhou-17-screenshot-4.png (512x384, 420K)

>not making computers for the people who handle the computers for the people who make gamez
>encouraging software bloat to force people into purchasing your computers just to play gamez
always be three steps ahead user

Honestly $1K a month ain't shit unless he's working another job on the side. I hope he's stacking that cash instead of wasting it on development costs.

noses and ears grow your whole life

i always wanted to be a game dev when i was a kid, but now that ive gotten into uni i fell for the architectural engineering meme.

Attached: 454285-fud_sang.jpg (200x225, 7K)

Don't ask me why.

Attached: yanderedev.png (539x487, 44K)

if music is math then what does that make trout mask replica?

Attached: what a beautiful duwang.gif (189x189, 273K)

Overrated garbage

wow great job you sure convinced me with those hot opinions

I was merely stating easily observable facts, no need to get upset my friend

give it a few more listens before diaping without consent there, bub

I did make a game though

Me too though, even a couple

Careful user /jp/ could smell you from this far because you badmouth ZUN.

That feeling when you make a rock, paper, scissors game.

>i want to make games

Attached: 1558111354826.gif (413x243, 51K)

More like an mmo rpg and currently working on a space rts

Indie game developer is truly the basedboy profession.

Attached: DxJmoCdWoAI04oT.jpg (1024x576, 118K)

shit taste in music senpai
most people dont like mathrock

I actually am one.
And by that i mean i am mashing together text-based dungeon crawler with engine similar to Corruption of Champions. It's hobby project i took to learn myself some Java.

I don't often say this but damn that's fucking cringe, and I say this as someone who loves Lufia 2.

When can we expect you to be done with Star Citizen?

I actually programmed while GTA san andreas myself, but back in the day the market was too aggressive and Rockstar games stole the game from me..

It's somewhat like that but actually much better!!! In a couple of months

Attached: received_358751834772668.png (839x530, 117K)

I already barely like videogames, making them would probably be even less enjoyable

Chrono trigger soundtrack is pretty based though not gonna lie

>leaves Oracle and joins From Software at age 29 in 2004
>works his way up from coder to director of armored core games
>turns demon souls from a failing project into a success
>continues making soulsborne games
>becomes head of the company in 2014
>won a lifetime achievement award in 2018
how did he do it

Attached: 50AD5199-F374-4576-9659-395A80C8C06F.jpg (284x177, 4K)

>If vidya goes union, it will be the end of vidya.
god please let this happen

>music is math, like coding
no

He is getting 2600$ a month and apparently still living with his parent.

>I can make 2d multiplayer games in the browser, but I can't think of anything fun to make... I also try to optimize everything, so I get stuck on learning algorithms like the Separating Axis theorem, A*, using quad trees to minimizes collision checks, or learning how to use a hash table to keep track of nearby objects. It's a lot, and this is just for simple 2d games...
kek that's the definition of having low IQ

Not that user but explain

>we don't need a story or plot
That was not required for many games to be good back in the 80/90s. What they lack is good gameplay, if I want a good plot I'd read a book.

>music is math, like coding
Math =/ Logic
Retard.

I did fall for it and it has not been a positive influence on my life

Although if I did not have to worry about things like time, money and personal relationships I'd love to focus on it

And dick shrinks... such is life

Lambda calculus.

Consider this: there are a plethora of programming languages for making music and they can be a more efficient way of creating music than traditional means due to the mathematical nature of meter and intervals and the theory behind harmony and dissonance is literally just trigonometry.

Or just steal music or get the roaltyfree tracks. Perfomance is less of an issue due to standardized codecs and formats.

can't believe people get older...

that's what harmony is supposed to be, but not based on any scientific methods. it's just rules that help you produce music and in many cases they don't produce a pleasing result.
You have to go a step further in order to make an acoustically pleasing song, otherwise everything sounds like generic pos, like dream theater.

yiikes

based miyazaki

More or less this.I also have a habit of biting off more than I can chew when it comes to project ideas. At this point I just stick to artfagging and toying with random programming languages. It just seems like a better use of my time.

Bitter nodev who got kicked off a devteam for not contributing anything to the project other than ideas™ detected.

Attached: 200_s.gif (269x200, 20K)

yeah and i love it, wouldn't ever want to work in the industry though. i just kinda participate in game jams for fun. i feel like the indie landscape has gotten way shittier post-2010 though, i dunno. i blame unity for a lot of it, people gotta take the easy way out and as a result most of the games they make with it end up being garbage. it isn't even that unity itself is inherently bad altho it kinda is, but it's given people a platform to half-ass their games with

it's a struggle my man, i can make good music and program fine but my art skills are shit aside from okay-ish pixel art, but even then it's hard to market shit with pixel art these days because of the whole like
>yeah i'm a millennial making a 2d retro-inspired metroidvania with a classic aesthetic that reminds you of a better time
stereotype

some of the best shit was made alone my guy

idk i kinda like sungazer, that being said it does kinda have that stock music sims 2 feel sometimes

yeah dude.................................... fucks me up how nature be like dat u know

Making music requires CREATIVITY, just like coming up with a game idea and a story for the game idea. We haven't yet managed to mathematically explain how creativity itself works, all pieces of music that actually get used in games or become hits (and I really mean ALL) were not made with just with mathematical formulas such as an understanding of harmony. Creativity and an intuitive understanding of what produces an emotional response is a requirement, and this is something mathematics hasn't yet figured out.

You can follow all the mathematical formulas you want, but without an understanding of music on an intuitive level and an innate sense of creativity, any music you produce will sound like disorganized trash.

I don't ingest soi on daily basis.

>music is a skill
playing music is a skill. Many composers couldn't play any instrument. They had music in their mind.

for you

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 38K)

>disorganized trash.
But people still listen to trash. There is no limit to taste, some people prefer factory made processed foods, I'm sure people are currently jamming to AI produced melodies on the current pop charts.
If making machine produced soundtracks ease vidya dev work, why wouldn't they use it? The reason this sector of software has such horrid practices for development is a direct result of the market for it having no standards for quality nor taste.

by being japanese

by being my hero

Believe in yourself!

>If vidya goes union, it will be the end of vidya
Sounds like a plan. Let's fucking do it.

>dev costs
Lmfao dev costs are close to 0$, he's not even doing any development. He's stealing people's money. 1k / month is a lot for doing nothing. Apparently says it's 2600$ / month, so more than 24k a year for nothing.

Programming a Touhou-like is harder than your standard 2D adventure platformer. Those complex bullet patterns don't code themselves. Then you need to tweak them at various levels of difficulty while testing for safe spots and making sure they are simultaneously readable and aesthetically pleasing.

Attached: tumblr_m5tx5rqKa71ryztyso2_250.gif (160x187, 1014K)

>while testing for safe spots

>music is math
>coding is math
math is math user

Attached: 060.jpg (953x730, 62K)

Music is physics

Yes but by the end I find out I'm too dumb, anti-social, and unmotivated for that. Front end dev was more my speed.

Time is math

It's no fun if you have to interact with other people.

Yandere dev is some really entertaining autism

A lot of potential too, but then only autism could make such a thing

No, i fell for the CS meme.
Because ive been on Jow Forums since i was 13 and this was pretty much the only place I could talk to like minded people since then (im 2nd year uni now)

Because I want to make control systems.

I envy you.