VCR recommendations

threw out my old VCR a while ago because the bastard loved to eat tapes, but I want to watch my old VHS tapes again. any recommendations for a good make/model of VHS player?

Attached: 3178MKAAN6L.jpg (500x201, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/WC48DIg.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have a slightly older model of the vcr in your picture. works great

Sony SLV-R1000, it's the top of the line "prosumer" grade SVHS VCR. It will make even normal VHS tapes look better, even non-SVHS ones.

Any HiFi labeled VCR should be fine. If you are wishing to transfer tapes to digital, then a more expensive S-VHS S-VIdeo machine would be better. Usually JVC. Having a built in TBC would be even better.

JVC's S-VHS VCRs are shit unless you get into the professional editing decks, which are quite cheap now.

t. former television producer who used to linear edit on tape a WHOLE LOT

i wasn't even aware S-VHS was even a thing. any recommendations on one that won't eat tapes?

Get a used pro unit or the SLV-R1000.

inb4 hurr durr just watch video on Facebook hurr durr

Attached: fuck you zoomer.webm (364x320, 684K)

>JVC's S-VHS VCRs are shit unless you get into the professional editing decks,
Linear editing is quite a bit different than simply wanting to watch a movie at the consumer level. I've owned 3 (now own 2) JVC S-VHS units. They are great and mine also has TBC, along with vertical stability options.

if a man did that he'd be arrested

I'm just talking about how the JVC pro units won't eat the tape user. Technically they're fine but they are quite reliable.

It's still a crime, the guy was probably too ashamed to report it.

In all my life, I can't remember the last time I ever had a machine eat a VHS. I grew up on a Sony HiFi unit in the 90s, I had a cheap Panasonic, plus 4-5 JVCs in recent years. I did however have a small TV/VCR unit eat my tape recently but I got it out, but I keep it in the garage so it might have been cold.

Fucking Fortnite Zoomers.

Looks like it's Russia or Ukraine. I think it's pretty obvious she thought he was air humping her. It's still not ok but a bit of context.

Attached: 1539146369946.png (680x680, 257K)

Do they keep resale value well? I have about 100 tapes to digitize. Sounds like a lot, but once it's all set up it should be full automatic, no? So i can pop a tape in, start recording and fuck off for the next two hours until it's time for the next tape, right?
Also what's a recommended software for capturing vhs these days? Last time I did some of that VirtualDub was the state of the art (still is if you ask me). I don't care about it being user-friendly and dumbed down, I'd rather have more options eg for a custom codec. The tapes are mostly raw footage of since productions, plus sentimental family stuff. If I were me I'd dump it into prores and burn as files to a bd-r, but maybe there's a better idea for archiving?

Without sounding like a hipster faggot, why would you want a VHS tape to be DVD quality unless it was the only medium you owned it on? What's the point? Might as well just buy it on DVD instead.

Attached: 1551411240729.png (576x432, 357K)

Virtualdub has a bad audio sync problem, so I use AmaRecTV because it's currently the best alternative to Virtualdub. Some people report that they don't get the Virtualdub sync issue but I do.

>If I were me I'd dump it into prores and burn as files to a bd-r, but maybe there's a better idea for archiving?
I personally record directly to x264 4:2:2 (x264 interlaced mode). You can also record losslessly with Lagarith or something. Prores is lossy, and not very efficient either. x264 on the other had is very efficient lossy codec. I'd probably pick Xvid over Prores too.

>Sounds like a lot, but once it's all set up it should be full automatic, no?
I usually try to get my levels just right before recording so it's not very automatic for me. Once it's all set up then yeah you can fuck off for the entire record time. But I often come back and change stuff and try again. Just depends on how OCD you are about the process.

>Without sounding like a hipster faggot, why would you want a VHS tape to be DVD quality unless it was the only medium you owned it on? What's the point? Might as well just buy it on DVD instead.
Not everything made it over to DVD or the Internet. There is still a lot of content on VHS that never moved on. I personally don't by content that can been gotten by more modern means. Especially home recordings which most certainly were never transferred off.

after more research it looks like playing regular VHS tapes on an S-VHS player does almost nothing, so no point in me worrying about that. so i am back to just needing a decent VCR that doesn't eat tapes that isn't some kind of expensive monstrosity.

just get a shitty vcr from a flea market for peak nostalgia factor

>any recommendations for a good make/model of VHS player?
How deep down the rabbit hole do you wanna go? If money is no object, go with a JVC HM-DH5U since it’s the most feature complete deck ever made bar none. Otherwise, just try and get a nice prosumer S-VHS deck.

is there an advantage to getting an S-VHS player if i don't have any S-VHS tapes?

Being able to play VHS over S-Video cables is a decent bump in quality. Simply by keeping the Luma and Color information from mixing. But you need a S-Video in port on your TV or capture device.

S-Video VCRs are mostly only found on SVHS players. This is why they are recommended.

alright so this more or less answers So S-VHS players can play normal VHS tapes at a slightly higher quality, only if I have S-Video cables, got it, thanks.

yeah the S-video port

Thanks user, I'll note that for the future. I actually used VD quite a bit back in the day, the sync issues were easily solvable by fiddling with the input and/or output formats. Also I suspect that Windows and its drivers being a bag of shit back then had a lot to do with it.
Will look into the codecs, lossless is tempting but at the same time I don't want to overkill it. Lagarith is neat and all but not efficient at all as far as compression goes.

Why wouldn't you want the best possible player for your kinos?

Chroma and brightness separation through the S-Video port, as well as better player technology extracting every last bit of signal from your tape.

>Chroma and brightness separation through the S-Video port
does nothing when a regular tape contains a composite signal
>better player technology extracting every last bit of signal from your tape.
meaningless marketing type language, "it's fancier/newer so it must be better" isn't evidence that it's better

What capture cards do you guys have?

S-VHS players have better components all the way up, the signal path will be cleaner. This leads to better sound and picture performance.

I don't think you understand how VHS records luma and chroma

I recommend the GV-USB2

There's no macrovision problem?

I'm the guy talking about x264.

This is my card i.imgur.com/WC48DIg.jpg

It's a Hauppauge 1250 but since there are a few different 1250 models, I think it's a Hauppauge 1187 (not sure) even though it's labeled 1250. Notice mine does not have a yellow component jack but comes with a Component to S-Video adapter. Best thing about this card is that it will pass through RAW YUY2 to my programs and does not care about Macrovision protection. Cards that ignore Macrovsion can be rare so I lucked out when picking this model.

It'll look a little better but not significantly unless it's an S-VHS tape.

That's not true. Your typical analog video cable is more than enough For VCR quality, having S video doesn't magically improve it. That's not how it works..

You better transfer all your tapes to digital, because who knows if another VCR player you buy will behave the same.

>That's not true. Your typical analog video cable is more than enough For VCR quality, having S video doesn't magically improve it. That's not how it works..
VHS is stores the Luma (black and white) and Chroma (color) at very separate frequencies on the tape, so there is no cross talk noise. This is called Color Under. When it gets played back and outputted over Yellow Composite, the frequency is changed and the Luma and Chroma are sent on overlapping frequencies. On a TV or other device, the Luma and Chroma have to be seperated again with a comb filter, which is not perfect and adds noise to the entire process.

With S-Video however, the Luma and Chroma never have to be mixed and don't have to be separated at the receiving end. Making the picture slightly better, and no dot crawl (no added dot crawl atleast). Giving you the closest image of what is really stored on the VHS. S-Video was never popular because the gains are small on VHS and composite just workz.