File compression

Hey, i was wondering if there is a way to compress video more by first creating an archive and then compressing the archive.

i'm not an expert and i've been trying to use tar and gzip to get a season worth of episodes down to a smaller size. However i've only gotten a little compression which would have been expected from compressing the episodes individually. Does putting them in an archive help with compression like the picture above shows?

Attached: 1920px-Targzip.svg.png (1920x496, 84K)

Your files are already compressed by the video codec, there's no point in recompressing them, you won't gain anything.

tar and gzip should only really be used for archiving when it comes to video files, codec literally stands for "compression-decompression"

with that said you could maybe get a little bit more compression out of bzip2, I've also had luck with 7zip and a 1GB dictionary for bluray rips

>codec literally stands for "compression-decompression
encoder-decoder

Videos are already highly compressed, general-purpose lossless-compression algorithms like DEFLATE (gzip) aren't going to be able to reduce the size much more.

your videos are already highly compressed
>Does putting them in an archive help with compression like the picture above shows?
that's not what the picture is demonstrating
gzip is a stream compressor, not an archiver, it can only work with one stream/file at a time, so to compress multiple files into a single gzip file, you must use a format like tar to archive them into a single stream/file

All video a consumer has access to has already gone through lossy compression. You're not going to get more out of it with a lossless compressor.
To make it smaller you need to reencode it.
If it has lossless audio you can usually save a good amount of space by encoding that to lossy, especially if it's 5.1. and most definitely so if it's 24 bit.

Anyone saying re-compressing doesn't do anything hasn't actually tried it. Every time you gzip the file gets smaller. You just need to keep doing it until the file size is small enough for your needs.

gzip < video.mkv | gzip | gzip | gzip | gzip | gzip | gzip | gzip | gzip | gzip > video.mkv.gz

kek

Fuck off, Nicolas.

>Does putting them in an archive help with compression like the picture above shows?
It does but your video is already compressed and the stuff in picture only applies to uncompressed data.

>Anyone saying re-compressing doesn't do anything hasn't actually tried it. Every time you gzip the file gets smaller.
3014034 bytes skylab.webm
3002676 bytes skylab.webm.gz
3003169 bytes skylab.webm.gz.gz
3003665 bytes skylab.webm.gz.gz.gz
3004156 bytes skylab.webm.gz.gz.gz.gz

Repeated compression causes the data to heat up and expand.

post skylab.webm

This is negated by rotational velodensity.

Should I try freezing the drive then? Should I leave some free space so it doesn’t burst?

Attached: skylab.webm (320x240, 2.87M)

A 1GB dictionary file or a 1GB dictionary size for the compressor?

If the latter, doesn't that take like 200GB+ of memory on a decent amount of threads?

Good thing our HDDs are watercooled here in the barn

Look at all of that fake shit nonsense

Hollywood is really coming into it's own with fake gravity

code-decode

that last three times got bigger.
you may want to experiment further.
3004156>3003665>3003169

whoops, i misunderstood what you were posting.
i'm retarded.
good job, user.

3014034 1558868523669.webm
3012693 1558868523669.webm.7z
3013323 1558868523669.webm.bz2
3002683 1558868523669.webm.gz
3012988 1558868523669.webm.xz
all -9

Kek. PV=nRT