Want to make my own NAS Server for PLEX

>Want to make my own NAS Server for PLEX.
>Basically want to rid myself of all physical media.
>Just for 2 long running shows is 1.2TB of Data.
>Essentially have to become a digital hoarder to have access to content I already own.
>Can just buy it digitally on a platform like iTunes.
What do Jow Forums

Attached: Western_Digital-3816884077-Western_Digital-compressed-WDRed_NAS_Hero--zoom.jpg (648x648, 27K)

>have to become a digital hoarder
you say that like it's a bad thing

Use video compression

Do you need all this resolution? Do you need to store all the shows you've watched ?
>what do?
Probably a mix of Plex Nas, physical medias and iTunes.

Encode it.
x264 preset very slow, CRF 17.

h265 is 2x as effective as h264 user.

No it's not.

>>Essentially have to become a digital hoarder to have access to content I already own.
So what you're saying is that you have TBs of data already and you want to move that data to other storage mediums, and that scares you?

I mean, I'm a bit of snob when it comes to things like this. I'm in the midst of building a theater room in my home, so I would like things to be quality. I get not everything can be stored 4K, especially when pirating and not ripping my own content, but fuck, 1080p shouldn't be a chore either.

I'm not scared about it, but honestly, with all the content I have and if I were to rip it myself, I could easily top off 60+ TB of film, television, comics, etc.

My set up is a Odroid HC2 and a Nvidia shield TV for the Plex server app. The shield tv is great to run the server from and it can be used as a great emulation device. Transcodes 4k great.

>two shows
>1.2 TB
Jesus user, I have multiple several hundred episode shounen series on my 2TB hard drive and it's still not full. Find new downloads for those shows, or transcode them to something reasonable like everyone is suggesting.
>x264 preset very slow, CRF 17
I wouldn't recommend anyone without at least a 16 core CPU doing this. The fast preset already takes a good amount of time on my R5 1600, and CRF 17 is overkill even for SD stuff. You could watch all your media 4 times over in the time it would take to transcode it all using these settings on the average Jow Forums desktop.
No it's not. H.265 is a great codec for the future but the computation power needed isn't worth the space you save for now. You only see it alot because for Blu-rays and stuff because the encoders know the device the media is designed to play on will be capable of smooth playback by default and because they're sometimes limited by blu-ray disc sizes. There's not much reason to use H.265 at this very moment unless you know it'll only be played via a reasonably powerful Plex server or on machine that'll definitely be able to handle it.

To add Odroids are stackable. So you could have 3 or 4 of them running from the same sockets.

Both Blu-Ray rips with x264 encode. One is the X-Files, which rings in at 689.58GB for all 11 Seasons and the other is House M.D. which is at 597.09GB.

you aren't going to get more points at the end of all this because you kept 1:1 copies of blu-ray rips

unless you personally acted in a few episodes, its a complete waste of space.

Attached: MASH.jpg (377x488, 28K)

Ha. No, I'm not an actor; writer. I just prefer the best quality, y'know?

Any decent NAS has 4 discs minimum, pop up some 8tb drives and you have 24+tb space (depending on raid setup etc). The two shows you mentioned end up being 5% of the space you have available then.

Get better tastes The WEB-DLs of that are 50-60GB a season.

Cringe

For fucks sake mate. You don't need 1:1 bluray rips. You're bordering on audiophile territory here. Massively bloated filesize for zero noticeable difference.

There is a happy middle ground between 1:1 rips and YIFI 700MB for a feature length movie shitcrap.

Beyond that you'll find that hoarding tv shows and movies is fine, You know the shows that you love to re-watch. I always have stargate SG1 on hand. Most of the stuff you watch you'll never watch again and can thus be deleted.

you want to spend 660GB+ on a show that was filmed in the 70s?

You are crazy. the dvdrip is fine.

its a really old rip .AVI

24 December 2003, 6:08:26 PM

Were you born when this xvid dvdrip was made? I doubt it

by the way, what is the best way to compress/encode video files so to achieve a fine balance between compression and encoding times and storage space needed

h265 is used because it's the default codex for bluerays, and why not? You don't need a powerful device for playback, just one with hardware decoding support. If OP is planning to transcode his media he would just need a relative modern intel cpu.

OP you're retarded. The X-Files has 218 episodes, each ~43 minutes long.
House m.d has 177 episodes a 43 minutes.
In total you spent 1.2TB for 395 episodes... That are 3GB per episode, that's an average of 9.4Mbit/s per second. For comparison I have Stargate sg-1 on my plex server with 214 episodes a 42 minutes taking just 110GB, resulting in a Bitrate of 1.6Mbit/s. Either properly encode your media or download properly encoded files.

h265 either with hardware encoding (can be a bit worse in terms of quality) or h265 with a powerful cpu (e.g. threadripper)

>you want to spend 660GB+ on a show that was filmed in the 70s?

Let me think...

WEB-DL

Attached: MASH.S01E01.MASH.the.Pilot.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DD+2.0.H.264-AJP69.mkv_snapshot_00.08.975.png (1920x1080, 2.66M)

xvid

Attached: mash.101.pilot.dvdrip_xvid-wow.avi_snapshot_00.09.175.png (1920x1080, 2.88M)

>stretched, skewed, uglified bullshit
Jesus fucking christ, kid.

God, all those DVDRips are terrible.
>30KB/s to download the ISOs
Yeah, I'm not going to do it.

Physical media will always be more redundant than having a few hard drives. Treat your Blu-ray films as backups.

lol its the same thing except they have cranked up the saturation and cut the top and bottom to make it muh 16:9 ut teeneiighttypee

the dvdrip from 2003 is objectively better

It's not hoarding if it's content you own and/or actually watch.

if you dont watch it, its hording.

unless its early planning for alzheimer's

That's what I said, thanks. OP seems to think having a large digital archive is hoarding, my definition would be archiving everything you can get hold of regardless of interest.

you're fucking stupid for downloading uncompressed rips
HAHAHAHHA
enjoy your snake oil retard

cringe, kill yourself op

This reminds me of a thread I made a couple of weeks ago regarding the point of storing content locally or backing them up for a Plex server OP. I always wondered what the point of doing that was when you can stream movies and TV shows so effortlessly now. As much as I store all of my content to my Google drive, only starting now it's nearly a TB, I still wonder if its a futile pointless thing to do for a small gain in quality.