Who else here works in cyber security? Not larping in your basement using tor fuckos...

Who else here works in cyber security? Not larping in your basement using tor fuckos. Actual pen testing or forensics work. Comfiest profession.

Attached: livingston_dell.jpg (200x200, 22K)

How much programming do you know OP? Took a look at the certified ethical hacker course and as an IT guy I just don't get how anyone could think that using nmap and nessus would get them a propersecurity job.

user this is my dream job. How do I get into it?

Radar O'Reilly is looking pretty rough these days

Oscp certification. Look into it

Yeah i really just want to know do I need to learn coding before OSCP.

Go onto gen.lib.rus.ec and download penetration testing with Kali Linux guide from there. It's the course guide. It doesn't change much. Also do some practice on hackthebox.eu. then you'll be fine to take it. Once you've got oscp most places will give you a job or interview

Nessus and nmap are still useful. But they're pretty much a tool. You shouldnt be completely reliant on them.

Also ceh is a joke and trash cert

Worked in silicon valley doing malware research and writing automated analysis and signature generation crap for a major firewall corporation.
Had mad burn out and told the company to get fucked.
Now work in safety critical computing in aerospace focusing on compiler assembly generation and testing coverage with automated vulnerability detection.
Making good money and what I'm doing is fascinating enough to stave off the existential dread. Can't complain too much.

How long does it take, how hard is it, and how expensive is it? Can I pull it off relatively quickly if I drop out of law school? Because I might.

3-4 months if you do it alongside a regular job. Incredibly difficult but not impossible. Yeah you can pull it off relatively quickly if you do it full time. I wouldn't reccomend dropping out of law school for it though. Legal side of cyber earns a lot more.

>Legal side of cyber earns a lot more.
Not him but what is the "legal side" of cyber?

The one where you don't get arrested because you have a law degree. It functions as a get out of jail card.

Shit is that how it works? I can be a cool hacker and if the cops fuck with me I just show them my law degree?

Yes, just say that it is legal. Do they have a law degree? No, so you are the only authority to decide it.

>cops no knock raiding my house to find my cp
>"This is the police! Come out with your hands up!"
>pull out my law degree and jump in front of them
>"Freeze! I'm a lawyer! I will sue you!"
>cops apologize and leave

Ah ah American don't forgot to leave them a tip

Ensuring legal compliance and dealing with public relations incident response afterwards. I mean legal as in as of or pertaining to law. Not 'not illegal'

If you were good enough for pr you defs wouldn't be on fourchan though

but then he woke up in prison and got ready for his morning anal rape

Hi fren, what exactly do you do? Im technically a consultant so i get to do everything from pentesting to forensic, its pretty cool.

This. Its very easy to get hired if you have it. Its hard tho.
You would be surprised

You have a security program that uses nessus, but don't have monitoring in place that you are using nmap. Either you are full of shit, retarded or both.

Maybe you should actually look at that ceh so you know what your tools are for. Yea, it is a shit cert, but it does make you learn who's who in the zoo. Unless you are pentesting using nessus which is retarded, but clients ask to pull the entire AD user list and ask to reverse the passwords all the time.

Maybe you should learn how to reply to the correct person before you call them retarded

>Took a look at the certified ethical hacker course
i don't get how anyone could run into this stuff online and take it seriously or use it as a benchmark to form any opinion on the topic. this shit's market: computer illiterate retards to be milked of their money.

>Not larping in your basement using tor fuckos. Actual pen testing or forensics work
i know quite a few people that never leave the house and are well paid for their skills. imagine having to be at work by a certain time every day when there are people sitting at home in their underwear getting the same wages doing the same jobs?

Ceh is a joke cert you fucktard. I only use nmap and Nessus to get a rough lay of the land during recon. You are a fucking idiot If you don't recognise the importance of reconnaissance

>Pen tester thinks he's not a larper
Cute.

It's listed on job sites m8. You can think you're the shit all you want but HR won't give you an interview without it. I hear a anons say the same thing about the CCNA and MCSA

currently telling everyone i am a ethihcal hacker, dont have any certs,
Planning on doing a CEH to start.

Currently billing Normie Businesses $75 a IP address to run a freeware vulnerbility tool to tell them what issues they have that i found out by "hacking".

Attached: 1551726404224.gif (300x300, 1.49M)

As someone who does the managerial aspects of cybersecurity (i.e. cyber officer in the military ) what are the chances I could find a job after I separate? I don't really do much with the actual sysadmin shit more along the lines of being the overseer and reporting to higher ups about Cybersec/managing those that do

> thinks some anons getting getting paid to work from home gives a single fuck about some shitty HR department in some god forsaken corporation
> said anons getting paid more than people working in such departments
what was your point exactly, retard? you don't seem to have one. what i do see extreme levels of jealously. you have to get up at the same time every fucking day to go to work. these people just crawl out of bed and sit behind a computer doing the same damn jobs.

>CEH is a joke cert
This is literally the first time I've ever heard this. I am just starting out trying to get into the field of Cybersecurity and I had always heard that an CEH was somewhat essential. Would you mind elaborating?

How do you reach out to business like that? Sounds like a pretty sweet deal.
Are you using nmap or something like that? I still don't know much.

Ceh may get you past some retard hr thanks to the fact that dod require it. However oscp is provably difficult and proves you can actually hack shit under time pressure and write a report.

So CEH is good, just not the "best." Would you say it's still worth getting? Any other "hacker" certs you would recommend?

Oscp is the only gold standard. Cissp better if you want to move into management

I little of cold calling,I scope out a potential client, usually don't have in house IT etc. Setup a meeting sell them a worst case scenario and tell them how I will fix it for them.

Nessus home edition has been doing a good job.

I try not to bullshit too much, and I so the client value.

Just need to get some cert behind my name, just the lay of the land, you can know lots about ethical hacking, but they will one day ask for qualifications....

bump

>implying britbongs didn’t magically bring back charges to act as a false flag to arrest Assange
Regardless of where you are, any government will easily fuck you over if they view you as a threat

>t. never taken the oscp
It’s not some walk in the park as you’re implying. CEH and other smaller certs are great if you’re entry level and add a fair amount of leverage when looking for a CyberSec job

I'm not implying it's a walk in the park. I'm saying it's good for proving your worth as a non brainlet.

I would assume anyone who did would not come here to discuss it.

Which branch is the best for cyber warfare? How is it for enlisted?

Youll get the hands on shit experience as enlisted. Though they seem to be farming that out to contractors now more and more. AF seems to be miles ahead of everyone from what I've seen

Awesome, for af can you enlist specifically for that job or is it just an area contract like everything else?

I am an Official Netbattler

I always liked the idea of doing forensics work/pen testing because it seems challenging and you feel like a genius when you solve those puzzles. but its just too much of a niche market with a small range of things you can actually do..

Imagine the scenario where you actually become a master pen tester. Besides obviously doing pen testing work for some fortune 500 company, what else can you do with your skill? its not like you are going to break into a financial institution and steal their data or some other hollywood like scenario. Your skills put you in that ill immediately become a criminal if I apply them outside of work range

Is A+ really something that would help me when looking for a CyberSec job? Or should i just skip it and go for CEH or Security+? Obviously OSCP is the holy grail endgame but I want to start somewhere smaller while i do my masters

>How do I get into it?
Start here:
ftp://50.31.112.231/pub/sec_FAQ_V1_Preview9.htm

Depends. Any cert is fine if you want to learn. Heck just googling stuff is fine. But if you want to get through to HR you would want certs they state in their job posts. I think the opinion for CEH is pretty clear here but it is something HR is familiar. But since you are also doing masters, then that could be relevant provided it is related of course.

Master haxxor/pentester

Would probably be haxxoring classified government shit, space stuff, the nuclear suitcase codes, etc.

Legs go Lan