ITT : we discuss slackware, what do you need to know before installing and what's good about it - or bad

ITT : we discuss slackware, what do you need to know before installing and what's good about it - or bad

Attached: slakware.png (768x768, 207K)

>What do you need to know before installing
Basic english and some experience with bash will be enough.
>what's good about it
The init system.
The packages that come in the dvd installation are enough for programming (comes with support for basically any language out there), server (even tho you don't need the bloat from the DEs) and even a basic everyday workstation.
The stable version of the distro is extremely simple, clean and easy to maintain, you won't find any strange bugs while using it. I wouldn't recommend current tho.
Even though the package manager is minimal, sbopkg and slackpkg+ with Alienbob repositories will likely solve all your needs, you'll have to track your dependencies by hand, but it's not that hard and will help you to reduce unneeded bloat.
>what's bad about it
With the stable version you'll not have the latest versions by default for your programs.
The package manager don't support almost any packages that aren't on the DVD, to get more I recommend that you install sbopkg and slackpkg+ with alienbob repositories, sbopkg will require compiling.
Still, even with these you will have less programs supported than in the most popular distros, I recommend that you learn to build slackbuild scripts and compile any unsupported packages you want from source, so that you may be able to handle them them with slackpkg.

How much of a pain in the ass is it to update Slackware?
It's been a while since the latest release and even the kernel version is getting old by now.

what is it?

/sbin/upgradepkg --install-new *.t?z

recompiling literally everything you added on top of the slackware installation, manually

slackpkg update or something like that. Been awhile since I've used Slackware.

i like slackware, it gives me more control of what i can do with software, no metapackages and strange dependencies like debian where you go to remove one package and it removes your entire desktop environment along with xorg and your networking software,

slackware is good

does it at least TELL you what the "optional" dependencies are? i can tell you would learn a lot about how programs themselves work together by using such a distribution but relying on the actual developers to even bother listing their dependencies sounds spotty and i wouldn't want to find out after 3 minutes of compiling that im missing x and then just keep repeating until it works
or do you not have to worry about that at all given that there are no dependency checks? then would you figure out once the software itself is broken?

[package-name].info in a slackbuild collection will name dependiencies

however

if you have a broken app, launch it from an xterm command and it will almost always tell you what is missing, (usually a missing shared object library)

When will slackware 12 be released?

When it's ready. Slackware has never had a fixed schedule. The last release took 3 years to come out.

you mean 15?

Fake news. If you're using sbotools, you can easily keep track of updates.

cringe

>less supported programs than other distros
Just build it nigga, slackware gets you used to compiling stuff from source, by the time you need something thats not on slackbuilds you'll be pretty much able to build it yourself with or without a slackbuild script.
Literally the only thing that I havent got to work are the fucking AYYMD drivers(which I do need in order to run houdini), so I just use an nvidia card.

bump

>what do you need to know before installing
Don't fall for the LiLo meme.

>what's good
lilo can painlessly have an encrypted root
>what's bad
everything else, slackware is a boomer meme you should only use as a hobby on meme machines

>what’s good?
It’s a great learning distro or distro for pure stability.

>what’s bad?
It’s boring. If you’re one of those people who like to rice their desktops, you’ll get it done fairly quickly while learning and then have that “now what?” Feeling. There’s only an artificial “bleeding edge” with current.

If this distro were a shape it’d be a pyramid. Very solid and stable. Productivity the distro

Also make sure you read. Don’t bullshit yourself and think you can just google everything. When you get links to read about stuff just fuckin read it.

>t. A guy who tried that for the first 2 weeks got frustrated and started reading

brainlet, I only got problems because I didn't know how to setup lilo to decrypt my hard drive, the READMEs in the installer are outdated

lilo is literally fucking complete uefi cuck

>complete
Abandoned. GRUB is the future, get with the times.