Can I get a comfy IT job with no degree?

Can I get a comfy IT job with no degree?

Background:
I'm 29 years old, fell for the accounting meme. I'm a year away from graduating but I realized I hate accounting. Not gonna drop out at this point.

I already know HTML inside out, some java, and I'm competent enough to keep learning on my own.

Would it be worthwhile for me to learn to code in my spare time?
Could I get some comfy job with flexible time schedules or a remote/work from home type of deal?

I'm thinking app development, pentesting/cybersecurity, webdev, or a similar field. Which of those will help me avoid the 9 to 5 lifestyle?
Do I need a degree?

Attached: gado.jpg (1280x809, 319K)

Which of those will help me avoid the 9 to 5 lifestyle?
None of them, you're fucked like the rest of us OP.

I don't mind working long stretchs and putting in the effort though. I can sit and work at the computer 9 hours straight or more if there's a deadline or something.

What I hate is having to commute and deal with office bullshit.

>I'm a year away from graduating but I realized I hate accounting
why do you hate accounting?

My younger brother started at a company that sub-contracted employees and basically created fake credentials.
I trained with them too, but my boss was literally going to pretend to be me on the phone while interview and I was suppossed to bullshit and say I had his 10 years of experience. I wasn't into that so I left.

But the fact is: You can find the companies that don't give a shit and farm their workers out regardless of credentials.
You may only earn $20/hour while they are making $60/hour on the sub-contracting rate, but hey - again, you aren't 'qualified' so what are you going to do.

My younger brother did it for a few years, moved on , and makes a high-end 80K /year with only an associates degree.

It's souless and extremely boring. Even being a codemonkey would be unironically better. Though ideally I'd rather work on something creative like developing my own apps or pentesting.
I'm not sure if the latter is lucrative enough with no degree though.

Thanks fren, this is good info.

>It's souless and extremely boring
If you hate accounting because it's boring, then software development will kill you.

You can literally do a one year full-time masters course in IT if you graduate with a non-IT first degree.

I'm trying exactly this with an associate's degree intership, in my second year right now.

Your personality means EVERYTHING. I did a few webdesign gigs 7 years ago at 20 y/o without any advanced education, started learning code 3 years ago and am WAY above my peers at the internship.

As long as a manager sees you're adaptable as shit (also with non-work related projects) and you show clear progress throughout the weeks, they'll see you as an asset and you're in!

Also, 9 to 5 with 2 days working from home is legit comf

>t. dude with 3 failed degrees who got a contract after 4 mo internship

Why the fuck would you anyone choose accounting? Imagine doing something like that your whole life.

git gud and anything is possible user

First step - get off of Jow Forums. This place is like a sick cancer that will make you unemployable with all of its meme trends and autism. I already see you're off to a bad start by posting Satania.

This or just lurk moar.
Don't fall for Jow Forums's retardation and NEET elitism.

Cybersecurity will help the most if you're looking for a real path forward. You can learn anything you want under the Computer Science and Engineering sun and it'll apply as long as you're hungry to learn.

Information Systems and Security are a great industry to get into if you're willing to put in the work, and with the business background accounting gives you, as long as you got the determination you can make it work.

Believe in your strengths, user. Believe.

Complete your first degree. Then do an IT degree and transition into data science. It might me a fad but it sure is hot. And that way your first degree has not gone to waste.

>Can I get a comfy IT job with no degree?
Sure, but having a degree is basically a certification to show you're not an undisciplined dumbass. Without a degree you'll have to show in other ways that you have the basic qualifications for the job, mostly through other experience.

You can get started in IT, but by all means, do finish your degree.

Finish your accounting degree and keep learning programming on your own. If you're only a year out from graduating, you'd be throwing three years and thousands in tuition away for no reason. "Just get a degree, any degree, doesn't matter" is a huge boomer meme, but being in the CS/IT field with a degree in something else (that's not total bullshit like English or Gender Studies) can potentially be eye-catching on the resume.

App development is reasonably easy to learn, as is webdev. Security is one of the hardest subfields to master and the pay doesn't really reflect that (it doesn't usually pay much more, if any more, than any other type of programming gig), so I'd stay away from it unless you really want to commit to it.

how much experience do you need for a jnr dev role?

ive heard of companies hiring random grads and basically teaching from nothing but that doesn't seem reasonable to me

i want to nakadashi raphi

> I'm 29 years old
> a year away from graduating
What
People your age have a family and saving for a house and you're just graduating.

You could make a new social media platform and combine twitter with imageboards and cater to pedo weebs + tranny lovers.

I did it... here's how.
>First step - get off of Jow Forums.
This.
Second, take a six-month coding boot camp.
Third, apply for jobs and tell the interviewer exactly what you wrote here.
Accounting would be beneficial in something like Business Intelligence/Database.
t.Data Architect with an English degree.

Maybe 20 years ago, grandpa, but in 2019 most people still live with their parents halfway through their 20s, and struggle to find career level work with or without a degree into their 30s.

Lmao “Data Architect”
LARP more

Better late than never.
Also, I already own a house so I'm halfway there.

>saving for a house
Yeah, if we had like 2000 years to save up, considering how worthless current money is relative to how much you earn and how high inflation will be... then you could surely do that.

Sorry, gramps. Those times are over. We're on the edge of the next collapse. Only after that will there be a boom and normal people who can afford to build houses again.

Post some Satania lewds.

delusional dipshit.

Based.

>I already know HTML inside out
Literally nothing.
>and I'm competent enough to keep learning on my own.
Yet you only know HTML and some java.

Lel, not larping. I'm over 50; likely old enough to be your Dad (or boss.)
Nice try though mini-fag.

Hahahahhahahahhahahaahahaha
If you weren't born rich, you're going to eat shit for at least a decade before you get comfy and have work from home options, that's unless you're an entrepreneurial mind with connections, which you're obviously not given you're 29 and posting for advice on here.
Welcome to the shitpit of adult life hahahhahahahhahahahahha

Attached: Not_the_first_time_hes_been_grinning_like_an_idiot_with_a_fag_that_close_to_his_mouth.gif (200x200, 752K)

i wanna fug vigne

The only way you are going to get a programming related job without a degree is become a web developer or data analyst (excel macros).

You are not going to get a job red teaming.

You are not going to get a remote job that pays any kind of money. People who remote have already worked in a company building for years.

Was in the exact same position, realized the public accounting OT wasnt worth it and I switched from accounting internships to security internships, getting some security certs could help if that's your path OP

>Hahahahhahahahhahahaahahaha
>If you weren't born rich, you're going to eat shit for at least a decade...
Partially true. I was born dirt-poor, got a non-CS degree. Graduated at 30 because I had to pay my own way.
Conned my way into the industry.
After 8 years and a lot of work, I make 6 figs.
Not impossible, just a bit more difficult.

Different user, how do I become that guy who works at a 50> people company and fixes PCs, installs updates, maintains the server and the website, repairs the wires if necessary, and budgets and maintains company PCs, phones, laptops, etc.?
I'm 21 and I don't want to fall for the uni scam. Every single uni student I've ever seen has been a huge insufferable self absorbed faggot, it costs a stupid amount of money and the three guys I know who got business and finance degrees all work at supermarkets.
Is it possible to get into the IT field with just knowledge? I can go to TAFE and learn a trade if that helps.

>It's souless and extremely boring.
Unless you have a good desire to do IT or programming work, stay far away from software. It can be the same way. Finish your degree tho, it's completely necessary in the computer market sadly.
This.

I did a EE degree myself, mostly work with hardware designs. Not sure if I want to stay with that or move to the software-side of things for my master's degree. It can be comfy going to work and getting things done and out of the way, but some projects can be an absolute bore, I assume the same with software. Sounds more fun than number crunching on an Excel spreadsheet and answering phone calls tho. Up to you OP.

I'm afraid you're a couple decades too late for that gig, my zoomer friend.

ah, fuck
I wish I'd been intelligent enough to be born in a time when you didn't need to be a goal-oriented interpersonal-relaionship-expert team-player excelninja with an emphasis on client-relations and a passion for being part of a dynamic and vibrant team.
But oh well I've made my bed and now I have to sleep in it

Get hands on and start a small business doing field support at home and small office locations. I have done this for years and love it, also nice to be my own boss. Get to meet some rad people too. I do everything from computer and office equipment support to digital surveillance and wireless backhauls. I get to spend time outdoors as well which is something my technicians dont.

Can you elaborate on what exactly you are hired on for? I have thought about starting my own business as a small contractor for a while, I assume you do more computer and network repair?