Javascript

after years of engineering, is javascript really that bad as a language as Jow Forums said so?

inb4
>[compile-to-js language]
>[framework of the week]
i am talking about vanilla javascript, and only plain javascript, without third party libraries

Attached: 1024px-Unofficial_JavaScript_logo_2.svg.png (1024x1024, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dev.to/uilicious/javascript-array-push-is-945x-faster-than-array-concat-1oki
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They need to add a null safe deferencing operator. Other than that it is complete.

It's better and faster than python
Coupled with Typescript (larger projects)(transpiles to Javascript)

I prefer Guile tho

All languages with dynamic typing are inherently cursed. The only reason they are used at all is for the """ecosystem"""

It's a very good language, but it is Lisp derived, so braindead guys don't know how to JS.

It is no more Lisp derived than Java.

forgive him Lord

Python is more readable and has a far better standard library, and Java is more performant and also has a far better standard library.

>so braindead guys don't know how to JS

Attached: 1557935219054.jpg (585x399, 79K)

Theres nothing worse than python. Bottom of the barrel language.

The only good langauges are C and assembly.

>without third party libraries
lel good luck fag js is build for browser mostly if your not gonna build a web apps your are most likely wasting your fucking time..

>assembly is one language

>i am talking about vanilla javascript, and only plain javascript, without third party libraries

that isn't what JS is about and you are completely missing the point. JS is a convenience scripting language made to make development easier and faster. That is why we dont make java or flash applets anymore. Trying to not use third party libraries is going against the core objective and shooting yourself in the foot. That's like saying how can I drive my car by not starting the engine and just pushing it around.

Javascript is a bit confusing, one because its not OOP paradigm which is what is taught in the mainstream but also because there are different levels of adoption of the Ecma standard so you get these weird my code works in this platform but not in this one fragmentation but despite these flaws its still practical and easy to use.

Useless unit type system (hence why form validation is still a nontrivial issue in 2020 - 0.63), it has 5 or 4 bottom values, promises are eager, it's the only language I know that doesn't have integers, standard library is full of mutable and immutable functions with no clear distinction.

In this world there are sadder languages than javascript (like Rust) and more mediocre languages (like Go), but js is still the saddest of the mediocre languages and the most mediocre of the sad ones.

The problem with javascript lies with its users and not the language. Exhibit a: dev.to/uilicious/javascript-array-push-is-945x-faster-than-array-concat-1oki

>unit type system
>form validation
What's an unit type system and how is it related with form validation? Besides, sanitizing user inputs needs to be done dynamically regardless of your language.

>promises are eager
This is actually a good thing. It lets you start performing side effects before you've finished building your promise chain. You can defer evaluation using functions if you ever need to. This seems like the most flexible system for a language where side effects may take place at any place.

I'm not saying JS is all well designed, but it really is a pretty good language to use these days since other languages indeed suck even worse.

Pretty okay nowadays. The biggest drawback is, in my opinion, that methods are bound when called. myObject.method(); calls mythod with myObject as this, as you want. saying let method = myObject.method(); method(); calls method with undefined as this.
This causes so many errors in real programs, it's a real stupid feature in a language that's so inheritly async.

Also, the small standard library is obviously a problem. JavaScript is the last language that should have a small standard library, because it's important to shit as little code as possible for sites to load as fast as possible. This is the reason we have issues like with left-pad etc, every package depends on hundreds of smaller packages because the language functionality isn't there.

can someone explain this shit to me?

Attached: Screenshot_20190527-023934.png (1080x1920, 229K)

python lmfao

brainlet here but don't arrow functions solve this problem? or is there some huge downside to those that I'm missing

I think even if you use pypy which has a jit you still dont come close to js in terms of speed.