/baot/ - *BSD And Other Things

/baot/ - *BSD And Other Things
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFly, FreeNAS, etc.

Chat: #baot @ irc.rizon.net

freebsd.org/handbook
openbsd.org/faq
netbsd.org/docs
dragonflybsd.org/docs

Why BSD?
sivers.org/openbsd
over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01

Low effort replies to ignore:
>no drivers
>copyleft vs copyfree
>etc

BSDCan wrapped up, videos of the talks coming soon. EuroBSDCon kinda soon.

Attached: Pufftron.jpg (227x343, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/papers/bsdcan14-libressl/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

FeeNAS is too big. I came across a free pic related and and looking for NAS software to put on it

has intel an D525 procrssor, 4gb ram and a 2gb internal hard drive anybody know something lightweight i can throw on it to mess with?

Attached: s-l1600[1].jpg (1200x1600, 294K)

What a nigger looking logo

sheeeit

I installed 9front on a spare T420 and it works great. Still hate Acme and Sam though. I'm going to make a new editor if I can't port emacs.

will alps touchpad support even be a thing in BSD? I'd love to try out gentooBSD if it finally happens

oh nvm gentooBSD is fucking dead

thoughts on SerenityOS?

>2gb internal harddrive

NAS units don't come with much internal storage because it's just for the OS.

FreeBSD.

I don't really know *bsd,
I'v just install a little mail server on openbsd.
I would like to know if on a laptop ( x220) it could run as a debian sid ( as i am running)
Mean :
Simple i3
Kvm ( vit-manager)
Etc..

Where and how do I report bugs in openbsd packages?

OpenBSD is bug free, user.

can most software compile in bsd?

openbsd.org/reports.html
if its a security issue, send a report to security@
for third party packages, either the maintainer of the package or upstream for the package depending on what the issue is

How do I find and contact the package maintainer? It's a bug with OpenBSD specific package and not upstream.

the maintainer's email is normally stored in ports in the actual makefile i believe

openports.se

Will they ever make puffy look more white? Until then, it's just another Jewish SJW distro

Structural regex are a great idea. I've also thought about writing my own because all of the currently available ones use modes, but modeless editing is superior.

Which browser to BSD people use?

I recently tried out freebsd and dragonfly and the 10-20 lines of big honking warning about problems and missing features are worrying.

puffy is going to fucking kill you

it literally is a blowfish

Thanks.

Reminder that OpenBSD is lacking the following things:
>A robust filesystem such as ZFS, btrfs, or HAMMER2
>Any kind of journaling FS
>Mandatory Access Controls
>SSD TRIM
>NFSv4
>Support for more than one core on various parts of the OS. The firewall, pf, is confirmed to be one of these parts, although there may be more.
>802.11ac networking
>Nvidia graphics from this decade
>AMD Vega graphics
>Certain Intel graphics, at least judging from comparing the manpage to the wikipedia article
>Broadcom wireless
>Bluetooth
>WINE
>LUKS/dm-crypt
>Linux compatibility layer
>Mounting ext filesystems
>free(1)
>lsblk(8)
>Proper virtualization (vmd/vmm is awful compared to KVM+QEMU or even Virtualbox)
>and probably more

Attached: NOpenBSD.png (1000x1000, 168K)

>here he comes again

i know you like keeping this somewhat up to date, so just letting you know that amdgpu(4) has been imported into the -current tree. needs a custom kernel for now, but this copypasta will need updating fairly soon when it inevitably reaches -stable.

God damn it feels good to be on FreeBSD 12.0

You mean on macOS?

Attached: MAD.jpg (227x343, 92K)

i've heard that openbsd devs take random open sauce security software and unfucks it. specifically, i read that they did this to openssl (forked it and called it libressl). is it actually better than the original? i'm too brainlet to understand the code they wrote but that openbsd chad guy says it's good but he's also probably biased since he's the dev. also, how difficult would it be to replace openssl with libressl and such on my own system (linux-based)?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-07 19-29-05.png (1366x768, 209K)

OpenBSD more like OpenBASED.

FreeBSD pozzed by SJWs, NetBSD too small and featureless to matter. Theo is our only savior.

openbsd.org/papers/bsdcan14-libressl/
this is a talk by beck@ from the time they forked openssl. apologies if you've seen it already, but it gives a good overview of why openssl was awful.
>how difficult would it be to replace openssl with libressl and such on my own system
the easiest option would be to use a distro that supports libressl -- at the moment i think that leaves you with voidlinux and gentoo in linux land. trying to bend a openssl based distro into using libressl is a fuckload of work and will break lots of things.

correct
I can't answer what you asked but one thing is certain, this language is barbaric and the picture to illustrate what is explained is gay and childish

haven't seen that one, thx
>this language is barbaric
that language is difficult to learn for forniggers, yes
>the picture to illustrate what is explained is gay and childish
the assignment was gay and childish, too