E-readers

My old Kobo H2O finally died today. Any recommendation for a good e-reader? Stuff important to me:

>Can take microSD card for additional storage
>Plays nice with calibre, and ideally allows for easy automated backup/restore of reading position, automated collections, etc similar to what KoboUtilities plugin allows
>Waterproof (not required, but nice)
>Takes epub as default format (not required, but makes life a bit more convenient even though converting to other formats is fairly painless)
>Easy to sideload books onto (Most important, though I gather most e-readers are like this)

Thinking of getting the new Kobo H2O though I think the removal of the SD slot is unfortunate. Any better ideas?

Attached: kobo-aura-h2o-4.jpg (990x660, 89K)

I own a kindle from about 2 years ago, I have never used another reader so I’m not sure about how it is comparatively but overall I would say it’s pretty unsatisfactory. Menu is awful, and bookmarking is awkward. But it has great battery life and actually reading with it is perfectly good. I do wish it had physical buttons to turn the pages though

B&N Nook.

Same. I wouldn't recommend kindle, but I haven't tried kobo either so I wouldn't know which is worse or better.

>Thinking of getting the new Kobo H2O though I think the removal of the SD slot is unfortunate. Any better ideas?
Just get another Kobo H2O edition 1 like you had.

Is it possible to buy that new for a reasonable price anywhere? Only seeing used ones on Amazon

Why can't you get a used one?

Just a bit worried the condition will be bad and it costs almost as much as a new one anyway

>Just a bit worried the condition will be bad
If it says "Like new" on Amazon, then it's either actually like new, or you dispute it when you get it and get a refund.

I guess that's true.

How high's the chance that the seller was a moron and this will actually be a 2nd edition one when it arrives even though the pics show the 1st edition?

Pretty low. And again, disputes and refunds.

Aight I emailed the seller just to be sure but I guess I'll buy that if they confirm it's 1st revision (assuming nobody else does first)

InkPad 3

I have a Kobo Aura One and it's pretty great.

I've heard good things about that reMarkable tablet but it's too pricey for me. I really wish eink wasn't so expensive

Just saw announcement for new Nook Glowlight Plus coming out in a few days with a 7.8" display for $199, any opinions on the brand/line? Never owned a Nook before but tempted for that bigger screen

Does anybody else have a Pocketbook 602?
Can't get Japanese text to work.

Most likely it is li-po battery that died in your kobo. Buy new one (should be less than 15 bucks) and fix it yourself.

Have a Forma 32gb because I'm not a pleb and it's fucking amazing honestly. I read all of Berserk on it and I was always blown away by the little details you could see. It's all things considered the best e-reader all-around on the market at any price. Also sells for a discount within Canada where I bought it.

MicroSD is sadly a rare feature now

My Amazon fire 5th gen still works great. I use it to read Manga

>I was always blown away by the little details you could see
Did you see your penis?

How did it die?
I've got an a first iteration kobo glo (circa 2011 or 12) that still works and would still work better if I hadn't dropped that one too many times making selection on screen more difficult than before.
Is it just a battery issue?

Pocketbook inkpad 3. Not water prof though.

i got sony reader rts-2 and pocketbook mini 505, they are ok and new pocketbooks are pretty good

spoiler: all eink tablet maker got their display from the same damn supplier. And they're hell bent on keeping the price up.

Attached: Screenshot_20190526-160224_Firefox.jpg (720x1280, 262K)

dont get a kindle all of the kobos have superior screens

Onyx Boox Max 2

I think it's the screen actually. I noticed it was refusing to wake from sleep, holding down the power button to hard shutdown/turn it back on led to it flashing for a while but absolutely no changes on screen. I had also fully charged it the day before and used it for hours with no abnormality on the battery. Also noticed some weird artifacts on the screen when I looked closely, maybe it got hit by something when I didn't notice, though it was in a pretty thick & fluffy case the whole time I'd have thought would protect it.

Kindle sucks for forcing their proprietary formats on you but thankfully Calibre can change between book formats no problem.

You gotta look at chink ebooks like the Boyue and Boox because they run on android and have SD card slots. People who bought them at chink shit general say they install tachiyomi and read manga on it and manage to put a ton of manga and books into it.

Kobo and Kindle just dont have the SD card slots at all nowadays.

I own a Forma. It's pretty great, but frankly, I don't think it's worth the money. It also has QC issues, i had to return my first one.

Honestly, it's hard to suggest anything other than a Paperwhite. Easily the best bang for your buck and you can convert books to Amazon's meme format pretty easily. The new one's even waterproof and goes on sale all the time for like $120. Forma's more than double that.