Why recommend signal?

of course its better than whatsapp and telegram but aside the network effect... arent there better alternatives?
signal isnt even available on f-droid. if you switch to an alternative messenger, then at least a good one, right?

what about:
- kontalk (centralized)
- jami (decentralized)
... and other messengers on f-droid?

Attached: 109388382045.jpg (474x266, 15K)

A messenger app is fucking useless if you can't get other people to use it, OP. Not a single one of my normie friends are gonna Listen to me explain how to install fdroid (after enabling unknown source apps) without their eyes glazing over. Signal is fine.

Manyverse but the other post is right just stick to signal

Jami, TRIfA, Riot.im, PixArt/Conversations, Briar and Threemaâ„¢ are the only good ones.
If it needs a phone number to work it's not anonymous therefore not private. So signal is a shit choice.

>Manyverse
It's literally still in alpha. Their roadmap looks promising tho.

Signal is open source. Fork it and port it to f-droid you lazy sack of shit.

For all you care about free as in freedom, if you don't take advantage of the benefits it confers you might as well just be using WhatsApp

get new friends
>aside the network effect
nigga

decentralized messengers like jami dont work on mobile data so its useless.
we should focus on centralized alternatives only

>using SIM cards
Why?
>we should focus on centralized alternatives only
No, kys.

>Why?
Because I'm not an isolated faggot like you, user

GNU Jami is definitely the best one.
>Signal is open source
Please don't say open source, it's free software.
>Fork it and port it to f-droid
F-Droid is an Android package manager, and an application repository. All packages are built from source, guaranteed to be libre, signed, audited and reproducible. It's on the maintainers part to host it.
Now, I recall there being some issues with Signal having a Google Play Services dependency, so until that's solved it won't be uploaded.

Half the people I know won't even use signal, so way they're using something even more obscure that's not on the default app stores

Nobody I know uses phone calls or SMS. The fuck kind of a shit hole do you live in?

America

Pretty much the only people in America that don't use sms are people with iPhones using iMessages

Signal isn't on fdroid because the developer doesn't like the release delays. They provide an apk for people who don't want to use the play store through.

Whats the difference between Jami and let say Telegram?

Attached: 6bf.jpg (679x1200, 62K)

How can a country which basically invented instant messaging be 10 years behind when it comes to communication?

Phone calls still have no substitute, let's not kid ourselves.
There are situations where they are the only appropriate form of remote communication.

Jami is the new GNU Ring.

Telegram:
>stores everything on the "cloud"
>servers are proprietary
>e2e must be enabled manually

Riot is complete dogshit. I am absolutely convinced anyone that recommends Matrix/Riot has never actually tried to use it.

Jami is unfortunately really buggy.

Jami is decentralized, encrypted and fully libre.
Meanwhile, Telegram is centralized, unencrypted by default, and the servers are propietary

Riot is ok as long as you self-host AND have google services, because their own notification service is dogshit and battery drain.

I use it all the time. It just werks.

Maybe I just am clinically retarded, maybe it's the beyond dogshit documentation but what the fuck is wrong with their e2e? If anyone logs out and logs back in it's a new "device" and everyone needs to manually reconfirm it so riot doesn't nag you about hurr durr unknown devices reeeee, and looking through the github issues it's known since 2016 or 15 and "we will figure something out later". How exactly do people think this shit will ever see adoption beyond us autists?

>get new friends
Why? Do you not know the joy of having non-autistic friends? It's great.
>aside the network effect
The network effect is the most important thing to consider when it comes to messenger apps. Nothing else even comes close. Saying to disregard it is like asking
>besides the taste, what's your favorite food?

my paranoid bf wants me to install signal lol you must be even more paraniod

Germany nigga

You need a SIM card for mobile data not only phone calls and sms you ignorant fuck just gtfo retard

It won't. Their development is a shitshow.

It just werks, so people use it. If they aren't using sms they're probably using Facebook messenger or iMessage.
Signal is the best option for continuing to use SMS with normies, and getting them on board with e2e when they ask what app you're using.

The few people I chat with are all willing to download an app to communicate with me. So I ask for the best messenger app as I would ask for the best food, no matter the taste.

Why do I need a messenging app? Can't I just send PGP signed messages to someone via email? Messengers are bloat.

Lel kys. Keep wasting your battery life. I only use WiFi.

t. poorfag

pgp signed email is bloat if you consider sending short messages like "ok" ... messengers have a purpose

misdirection mostly
if it pisses a bunch of jews and autismos, that's a bonus
at least that's my opinion :^)

t. Cuck