File manager nnn v2.5 released with plugins, mouse support, sshfs and much more!

github.com/jarun/nnn/releases/tag/v2.5

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f6f6e70713376502e706e67.png (754x833, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/jarun/nnn/blob/master/plugins/sxiv
github.com/jarun/nnn/wiki/performance
github.com/jarun/nnn/wiki/performance#nnn-vs-ls
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Advantages to this over vifm?

mc better

nnn is not tied to any particular editor style. It's very easy to use and comes with features like disk usage analysis, navigate-as-you-type, batch file renaming etc.

nnn is not menu-driven and the workflows are much simpler.

This.
Sorting, recursive coping, file comparison, recursive naming, you can chainlink other shell programs.

You can do all of that in nnn. You also get features like du analysis, navigate-as-you-type etc.

nnn is almost perfect, but there aren't any alternative keybindings for the arrow keys. I just want to be able to hit ctrl+j for down and ctrl+k for up, but apparently the dev is against config files and custom keybinds reeeEEEE

Attached: hotdogs.jpg (640x566, 79K)

The k and j keys are there for up/down.

I saw in one of his replies on another forum that the bindings were configurable at some point. But as the number of keybinds increased, they were spending more time of helping users fix the problem rather than on actual development. At some point they removed support for customization.

BTW, I wanted some keys to run custom scripts and the plugins support in this release makes it possible.

>The k and j keys are there for up/down.
not when you're in nav-as-you-type mode. I suppose the argument is that I'm doing it wrong, but I like using stuff like fzf or zsh-zaw, where you type a bit, then use ctrl+j/k to pick the right one.

what exactly does "mouse support" mean here? Drag and drop between panes?

why should I use this instead of total commander?

In the earlier version there was no mouse support (and I like it that way as I seldom use the mouse). In this release the mouse cna be used to select a file, open it or go to parent dir. I don't see drag and drop support. But as I mentioned, selection does it for me.

In my personal experience nnn is a swiss army knife. It's much more powerful that any other file manager I have used. Probably go through the list of features and decide for yourself.

what's the purpose of this?
how is it better than the command line?
it doesn't even support images like ranger
I don't get it

Attached: cute anime pic 0318.jpg (320x240, 25K)

It features no bloat ^_^

Take Luke's advice: "Ranger is bloat, use nnn!"

sure but what is the purpose of ranger w/o image previews?
bloat or no bloat

Attached: what did they mean by this de geso.gif (400x418, 397K)

shut up and just use nnn.

does it have image previews?
no?
GTFO

There's a plugin that invokes sxiv image viewer. You can preview, thumbnail, set as wallpaper copy path and what not? Like the other guy said - shut up and use nnn.

github.com/jarun/nnn/blob/master/plugins/sxiv

sounds like bloat. ranger does it better.

I had been using ranger for 4 years till I found nnn.

`nnn` is very very lightweight. You'll find a comparison here: github.com/jarun/nnn/wiki/performance

ranger uses a overwhelming amount of memory (which is expected as it's just a script). Not to mention it's much much slower.

I don't need a plugin to invoke sxiv lol

Attached: 1549194088324.jpg (340x321, 59K)

But neither does a file manager need to preview images. ;)

BTW, images open in your default image viewer by default. So you are right. In my case, I just set sxiv as the default viewer and I don't need the plugin either.

sure but what's the point of using one that doesn't in favor of the command line

no; I don't need a plug to invoke sxiv because I can do it just fine from the command line

Attached: 1435018488871.jpg (335x371, 24K)

>rangerlets will never experience this
I feel bad for you

Attached: 2019-05-27-215804_1105x733_scrot.png (1105x733, 490K)

v2.5 on pacman when?

Attached: ss.png (422x161, 49K)

I don't really handle images daily so I guess it's more of a personal requirement. That also means I can't overlook the awesomeness of nnn. Please go through the README and you'll notice that one of the main goals of nnn is to blend the terminal with the DE. It's doesn't really want to stay as a mere terminal file manager.

You don't have to use a plugin to invoke sxiv either as I explained in my other response.

I deal mostly with text. Sometimes I change the wallpaper and I open the images in sxiv from nnn (like other files), loop through them and set the one i like as wallpaper. Inline image previews are not a requirement in my case.

Show me a good config for it and I'll use it. The screenshot looks really good.

I have vifm and it's only redeeming quality is the ability to rename files with the text editor.

>apparently the dev is against config files and custom keybinds reeeEEEE
This could be a problem for me...
vifm is really not very customizable, and it only accepts "vim", not neovim or emacs unless you symlink.
Just a bad program in general.

Attached: 123.jpg (561x604, 52K)

I saw the release news on another forum. But generally they update AUR within a few days.

I always just open up a graphical file manager when I want to deal with graphics.
In face, I rarely use the CLI file manager because shell programs deal with files faster 99% of the time.

I use the defaults (but green as the first tab color). There's not much to configure as the defaults seem sensible.

nnn does batch rename not only for directory entries but also for selection. And you can select files across directories too!

You can easily compile nnn. So I guess changing the keybinds is not very difficult. As long as you use distinct keys things should be fine.

Check this: github.com/jarun/nnn/wiki/performance#nnn-vs-ls

Why would I use this when dired is already built into my programming editor and is much more flexible, configurable, and extensible than this?

Attached: IMG_7719.png (500x706, 210K)

nnn is a big nothingburger. Worse than ranger, and doesn't do anything new. I don't need my ls to be 0.0005 ms faster.

It's up to you.

It's up to you really. If you don't need it, you don't need it. Same reason I booted ranger.

>:split
nothingness
>:vsplit
nothingness

Attached: neofetch-2018-10-06-09-11-07-2650.png (1814x1044, 1.4M)

nnn is not vi or vifm. nnn supports tabs. If you look carefully, the splits are done in an instance of terminator in the image.

it feels weird 2me at first glance without some 2 columns filemanager.

Attached: Worker_file_manager-1.png (1000x477, 31K)

it's not vi

I use the tabs just fine. For split views I use terminator myself. But that's very rare. Even when copying from one folder to another frequently the tabs work great. The key TAB switches tabs as usual.

is this a boomer thing?

And why should I use this instead of LF?

Worker: an UNIX fork of Directory Opus.

Looks like a GUI file manager that needs mouse clicks for every operation.

just link neovim to vim my niga

Ranger doesn't show image previews for me, what do?

Well, I set /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ranger/config/rc.conf to say set preview_images true, but it still hasn't fixed it, now what?

I typed in :set preview_images True, but it still hasn't fixed it, now what?

Typing "zi" doesn't fix it either

You also have to set the third party program that does the preview. It could be w3m, kitty, etc

My w3m won't display images, I'm not sure why