How do you efficiently read large books...

how do you efficiently read large books? I want to start reading books with 600+ pages but dont want to spend a year on one book because obviously I wont do it.

Attached: reallyBruh.png (128x128, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XJd_RvAlMKU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't read out loud even inside your head. Let your visual processing hemisphere of your head do all the reading.

Basically the goal is to get as close to reading 1,000 words per minute as possible (essentially up to 2 pages/minute or 120 pages per hour on average). You literally can't do that if your brain is exerting a great deal of processing power to sounding out words even inside your head. When you do this you can slow down your reading speed all the way down to 100 words per minute which is perfect for talking but horrible for reading.

youtube.com/watch?v=XJd_RvAlMKU

Git gud

shit does this work

Don't subvocalize

>year on one book
the fuck are you mentally retarded or what
read a chapter a day or some shit. you can read the whole lotr trilogy in a month if you dedicate an hour or so a night to it

find books you genuinely find interesting to read not just shit you are supposed to have read due to their status

Read intredasting books.

I have a load of books to read but being a programmer has made me too good at skimming text and just reading what I find interesting.
Sometimes I read two pages and then wonder what the fuck I just read, so I have to go back and read it again. Or my thoughts wander and I'm just mindlessly looking at words right to left.

what a fucking waste of time though

Brainlet

what, reading what you enjoy is a waste of time?
jesus this once upon used to be a norweigan wolf hunting forum of great caliber.

Absolutely, how the fuck do you think those undergrads who get fucking mega hammered on the weekends are able to maintain their scholarships? Those rabid mentally unstable mongoose can chew through a 1,000 page book in a few hours. I've heard chewing gum AND putting on earbuds playing ambient sounds like thunderstorms/wind/even WW2 sounds really helps that reading hemisphere concentrate.

Sure they're probably near half conscious after they sip down a couple of monsters but it's good enough for college.

Attached: bfb.jpg (500x544, 100K)

They don’t read anything difficult, they have liberal arts degrees with “key parts” summarized each chapter

just start reading and you're comprehension will go up as you keep reading.
or read How to Read a Book by Mortimer Atler, has a lot of great reading advice

Attached: 1556459988650.jpg (720x2277, 661K)

The people talking about speed reading with the "visual processing hemisphere" of the brain are retarded. For example, "hemisphere" refers to half of the brain. You have two hemispheres, and neither is dedicated to visual processing. Should be a clue they don't know what they are talking about.

Three tips to reading well:

1. Read what you need. Especially with book reference manuals or text books, don't approach it like you're going to read the whole thing. Read interesting chapters or sections. Read the table of contents, skim in interesting places. As you need the material in the book, return to it, as you now know where it is, and read closely and reread. If it's an important book you'll find that you wind up reading most or all of it because of how important it is. If it has nothing valuable in it, you won't read much, and that's fine.

2. Don't be afraid to quit reading. Lots of books are a central idea or theme that is reinforced by endless examples and arguments. If you get the main concept and find you aren't getting anything else out of reading more, then stop.

3. Set aside time to read and then just do that. If you wanted to run a marathon, you'd need time to run. Likewise, if you want to read a lot, you need time to just sit and read. Don't imagine that you'll be able to suddenly 10x your reading speed. That's retarded. Just take time to read - you'll grow a bit faster as you get better, but you'll never be flipping through books like a flip book. Don't underestimate what you can read in 8-10 hours of just sitting in one place and reading. Set aside a couple hours a day to read every day, and long stretches on the weekend, and you'll be well read in no time (meaning: many years).

Subvocalizing is perfectly fine, it helps to get a feel for the text. Hell, even reading out loud more difficult passages can help you understand and memorize them.

Reading without subvocalizing is skimming; sure it can go faster, but you lose a lot.

That's where you're 100% wrong. Your "reading" side of your brain can also "read ahead" and predict meaning of new/rare words based on context.

I get 70-80% on my exams doing exactly that, at worst I bookmark a page I had the most difficulty understanding and highlight the specific part/words I need to google and go back to them at the end of the book.

t. dumb fuck who dropped out of HS doing web dev AA.

Attached: 1000words.jpg (1079x1328, 574K)

Beautiful

Simply break it up into sections and do however much you need to do every day to read the whole thing. Anything can be done by breaking it up.

>he sounds words out in his head like a child

Attached: ni.gif (607x609, 762K)

Based

I can read up to level 9 there, spent well over 1000 hours reading visual novels

Attached: 1547321369262.png (1371x813, 564K)