How long until Canonical drops snap and adapts flatpak as they do with all of their projects?

How long until Canonical drops snap and adapts flatpak as they do with all of their projects?

Attached: snap.png (2400x2103, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/flatpak/flatpak/graphs/contributors
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Canonical
who?

>snappy
>flatpak
What are you taking about, it uses the GNOME app store.

god snaps are disgusting, just go with flatpak you fucks

Mark Canonical, the CEO of Shuttlecock software

retard

Hopefully soon, I'm fucking tired of not having the program I want as a flatpak because some jagoff dev decided to package it as a snap instead

What's your counterargument.

fucking ages, remember their ghetto ass initd and shitty windowing protocol? remember how long that garbage refused to die? yeah, I remember.

ITT: bunch of NEETs mad that Canonical made their secret club available to normal people.

Attached: triggernometry.gif (512x680, 267K)

at least our ceo isn't incarcerated

Attached: gnomed.jpg (718x479, 25K)

Based Shuttleworth, he could easily kill RMS and Linus with his bare hands.

Attached: 1540524868527.jpg (937x1171, 107K)

used both and had an easier time with flatpak

???
is the joke about reiser, or that mark is wearing an orange shirt?

why do people think that flatpaks are good?
appimage > any similar solution

>fresh obongo install now gives you several essentials as snaps
What's their endgame?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-28 12-36-24.png (1200x847, 59K)

The Gnome App Store is just an GUI for computer illiterates to install programs in an easier way than usual, but the App Store uses Snap as it's repository manager. The thing itself doesn't do anything on its own.

appimages can still break, flatpak always works and is sandboxed
abuse their position to shove snaps down your throat

>What's their endgame?
Showcasing snaps on their own distro, maybe? Kind of a big deal.

Kind of a big piece of shit. Unfixable by design. And vendor lock-in. And so they can keep spreading charts about how 7 billion people are "using" snaps.
They know a platform is only as strong as its apps so they're trying to pull an Android. With enough friction you slowly kill the "competition", open source or not is irrelevant. If you're too much of a brainlet to understand what I just said don't You-me.

>Hurr durr Canonical will kill Linux!
Fuck off.

flatpak is good for stuff with gnome deps you want for your kde box. flathub repo a best.
but kde libraries and runtimes are as developed yet.
appimages still work better if you want krita, kdenlive, digiKam etc. with you're foot de.
The gimp appimage worked better than the flatpak when 2.10 was prerelease for some reason tho. Also came with more plugins, including gmic.

This. Fact is, flatpak just works way better on all fronts and is more popular. At this point canonical is only confusing people with their competing tech.

flatpak --user install .... will keep the bloat at ~

Attached: untitled.png (621x162, 13K)

My real minor "issue" with snaps is that snaps doesn't conform to your desktop's chosen theme/icon pack. Applications uses it's own themes. Ultimately I decided to go with Manjaro with unstable repos enabled. It's annoying to search between ppas and snaps to get the latest software.

Most of the software I use is available in the official repos or flatpaks. I don't really need to use AUR much.

What. They'll kill Flatpak, AppImage, probably cannibalize pieces of apt, etc. Not Linux.
They already are often the targeted platform. E.g. Steam "SO: Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit".

>abuse their position to shove snaps down your throat
Reminds me of systemD :^)

Flatpak is changing a lot, the next sdk and runtimes will be way better. They need more people contributing to flathub tho.

I don't see them killing Flatpaks anytime soon. All major distros are using it instead of Snaps. Also, Flatpaks works a lot better right now (aka theming).
But, if Snaps proves to be a better solution with time, I don't see a problem with it being adopted as the default choice, it's open source after all. People don't like it because it's made by Canonical. I don't give a fuck, as long as it is open source and works.

>I don't see them killing Flatpaks anytime soon
they wont but they want to, abusing their position, flatpaks are superior in tech and developers like it more
snaps are not decentralized you cant open your own snap store like flathub
the sandbox tech alone is enough reason to prefer flatpaks, redfuckers are thinking of all the pieces even going after sound with pipewire

>Reminds me of systemD :^)
Lennart sent you a hug! :^)

Attached: file.png (1043x683, 189K)

Holy fuck he is old.

>idea proposed by poeterring in 2013
>appimage exists since 2004
hmmm...

github.com/flatpak/flatpak/graphs/contributors
appimages doesnt guarantee your program will run (search for issues)
appimages are not sandboxed
appimages updating mechanism is botnet

It's too bad Red Hat's lawyers are afraid of Flathub and will never include it by default in Fedora or Red Hat.

>GNU/Linux
Depreciated due to clusterfucks like systemd and this snap/flatpak bullshit.

Just like mentioned, Flatpak is backed by a corporation that can and will shove it down our throats if given the chance, just like they did with systemD. Red Hat is far from being some innocent good guys while Canonical are the devil, as a lot of people on /g try to paint.
That's why I don't get this paranoia around Snaps. It is open source, so let the best format be the default one, the others will be around for the contrarians.
Just like I don't mind using systemD, I don't mind using snaps or flatpaks, as long as it works and is open source, as I said.

youre forced to use canonicals store
with systemd you can just use a distro without it
while with apps you have to convince the vendors and developers to activelly maintain the repo working and updated, and a lot of people want proprietary apps
if snap wins and the community decides to create a flatpak version the vendor might dmca flathub or put some legal pressure even if theres nothing being redistributed

People shit on Snap mainly because the Snap store is not federated and that Apparmor is required for sandboxing which almost no distros support. Also, Snap might have the policy where you give up all copyright ownership to Canonical if you want to contribute.

If, and it´s a big if, that happens, Snapstore will be the place to go if you're after proprietary software on Linux.
Flatpak, Appimages, repos, etc, will still be available for 90% of the software used on Linux, that are open source.
I don't see a problem at all with that. It's even better, proprietary developers will have an incentive to push their applications to Linux, and contrarian dipshits who cry about muh proprietary software will have the choice to simply don't install snap on their systems.
>Also, Snap might have the policy where you give up all copyright ownership to Canonical if you want to contribute.
What? Are you telling me that every app on snapstore had given up ownership to Canonical to be able to publish it there?

>What? Are you telling me that every app on snapstore had given up ownership to Canonical to be able to publish it there?
No. I was referring to Canonical's practice of requiring people who contribute code to Canonical's software to give up the code's copyright.

If they try that on snaps every proprietary developer is out, instantly.
The open source developers can just jump to flatpak or appimages.
Not gonna happen.

>retarded-ass squashfs
>a million loop devices allocated
>(((snap store)))
Can't wait for it to die

lol
red hat already told gnome to kill off appimage by disabling clicking of executables

good, this ain't windows. flatpaks are also gimped in similar ways in favor of security, like not using aliases or abusable symlinks by default

I think your are misunderstanding what the other guy is trying to say. He's talking about how when you contribute code to snap itself (the daemon, client, etc) you'll probably have to sign the copyright for that code over to canonical. That's what they do for most of their projects, like lightdm and upstart require.

Well yeah, I may have misunderstood his point.
Another point that makes me worry even less that 'Snap will kill Flatpaks and Appimages'. The open source community will focus on those two, Snap will be a Canonical project that could work well being a store where proprietary developers can distribute their programs.
Good enough for me.

I would be way more afraid of Red Hat than Canonical. They control so much of the Linux world it’s not even funny.