Ageism

What do guys over 40 years old do in the tech industry? Do they just wither away, get fired, and live an extremely depressing life because they can't find a job anymore?

Attached: b.png (620x300, 227K)

I'm also wondering this. I'm just a codemonkey now. What the fuck am I supposed to be doing career wise at that age, I can't codemonkey for 20 years straight because I'll inevitably be replaced. I think I'll just kill myself, there's nothing to live for past 30 anyway

Management

They get the gamer girls

See: gaben

old and outdated meme
companies hire MBAs from outside the company than promote one of their own, it's cheaper in the long run

Why do we tout our inclusion and diversity so much as a society but ageism is actual discrimination that's still allowed?

because ageism only affects men and men are routinely thrown under the bus in all aspects of society

Management or higher-up design positions which are still technical but won't do any (or as much) codemonkey-ing, like various types of 'architect'.

white pipo are okay
old ytpipo arent ok

not including industries and fields where your popularity and youthful looks are everything, women age out of these after 25

They saved enough for retirement years ago.

Don't believe the memes.
Nobody cares about what age you are, the reason you don't often see 40+ code monkeys is because
a) they already went into management
b) where you work is shit, and nobody with exp would bother working where you are

Older developers have played all the management games, so they know to stay away from some place that offers 'free beer every friday' and wants tons of unpaid overtime, which is why you see all kids there as they don't know any better.

They work the public sector

Anyone working in coding and/or engineering should plan on being retired by age 50 unless moving into upper management or starting their own company.

This too, though where I work has plenty of older developers (fintech). If where you work actually pays money, doesn't force unpaid overtime, and doesn't force "company culture" bullshit you're likely to find older developers there

40 is too old for this website, great gramps. Go watch vulfpeck videos or something.

>you're gonna be pushing 50 and still stuck in this god-forsaken shithole

Attached: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg (482x436, 36K)

Did you get the memo about the new TPS reports? Also I'm going to need you to come in on Saturday

Attached: boss.jpg (201x211, 12K)

Since marriage sucks worse than ever and we’re all autistic anyway, it probably doesn’t matter. Without wives and kids we can retire at 40.

Management or they work for a large enterprise.

Richard Hipp (SQLite) almost 60, Ken Thompson 76/and Rob Pike 60s (go), Linus Torvalds almost 50, Guido von Rossum 56 (python), Jonathan Blow 46 (braid game), RMS even - the list is endless.

Most of the best and most experienced programmers today are older - the first generation to have actually grown up with computers in the home, and back then be forced to program at much lower levels because the machines were so much more limited.

Having to understand how things work as opposed to whatever JavaScript framework du jour is popular this week.

The ageism meme is complete horseshit pushed forward by business types looking to convince socially awkward 20-something men to give away their one and only youth, so they can cash in on it.

Look throughout history did musicians forget how to play? Writers forget how to write? Mathematicians and philosophers lose their edge? Not at all, many of their best works came much later in life.

Old programming languages mostly like cobol or rpg to support old ass bank infrastructure. the market isn't big though

When we hit our 40s I wonder what the old guy language will be

These. The old guys are managing young people that do shit jobs or doing work at places too good to hire young people for shit jobs.

My electrical engineer dad gets paid [spoiler]160K plus bonus[/spoiler] for tech support of chip products that are older than most of the college grads that are hired as junior engineers.

He says that the young faggots that get hired nowadays literally don't know how some of the old shit works because they don't even learn about that tech in college nowadays, they are on to new shit.

Your boomer dad with decades of experience gets paid less than a new graduate? That must be demoralizing.

those are innovators and the top of their field. What about the average guy

C

As somebody who started working in the public sector recently, this.
I work for a big IT devision for my state and most of my peers are around 40-60 years old, they don't mind the lower pay if they have more liberties timewise and can leave workstuff behind the second they clock off.

Attached: Drunk_Kobayashi_Python.png (640x362, 220K)

>Guido von Rossum
I hope staying in software doesn't turn me into that faggot.

NodeJS, it's complete faggotry and the generations past us will laugh at the level of pajeet coders we've become.

Python.

Work remotely. No one gives a shit how old you are.

I develop software for acquiring/manipulating/displaying imagery and datasets ffrom meteorological satellites under RHEL (python/perl(C/C++).
t. 63y old

>current college students think 40 years is old
Oh, I can't wait until you graduate and start in the industry and realise that boomers comprise a majority of it. The hip SV startups where everyone is

Attached: varg-vikernes.jpg (1900x1267, 173K)