Ryzen and x570 backwards compatibility

tomshardware.com/news/amd-x570-chipset-first-gen-ryzen-support,39474.html

>Robert Hallock fielded our question, explaining, "If we look across the ecosystem of motherboards that exist today, we certainly make BIOS updates available to our ecosystem partners to include that on different levels of motherboards in their portfolio, but I don't expect that every motherboard will be updated for 3000 Series processors from our partners. That really will be a portfolio decision from their standpoint as well, as to where they apply those updates, and where they choose not to apply those updates."

>The problem with backward compatibility boils down to BIOS chip capacity limitations, with AMD's portfolio of Ryzen processors swelling to the point that most BIOS chips do not have enough capacity to store all the microcode and memory training tables for all of the processors.

I never thought of that. This was pretty mindboggling, that the bios rom would run out of storage space.

As a devil's advocate though, they could very well release different versions for different specific needs. Normies would get lost but enthusiasts would appreciate, and niche cases would probably come from tech savvy people anyways.

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9ML0QvODM5MjgxL29yaWdpbmFsL0FNRC1zb2NrZXQtYW00LW1vdGhlcmJvYXJk (1510x849, 717K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amd.com/en/products/chipsets-am4

tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-amd-ryzen-3000-pcie-4.0-x470,39377.html
gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/news/amd-x470-current-gen-motherboards-might-get-pcie-4-0-upgrade-with-ryzen-3000-cpus-2040253
wccftech.com/gigabyte-bios-update-pcie-4-am4-motherboards-amd-ryzen-3000-cpus/
youtu.be/osvm26W4e3M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

lucky me I have an x470 mobo

it's kinda funny that the x470 will have better back and forward compatibility than the new stuff.
Also, same.

what's the difference between B470 and X470?

B470 ?
where did you see that?

Check your motherboard manufacturer's site. They offer the BIOS update required for my B350 board. Maybe yours too.

opps i meant B450

why not just offer two different BIOS updates depending on what you want to run? :^)

mainly crossfire, but also quality in general and undefined terms, OC capabilities (very debatable).
amd.com/en/products/chipsets-am4

Since we are on topic of older motherboards being comparable with the 3000 series, which would be a good ITX motherboard for me to buy for a htpc form factor 2400g build to eventually upgrade to a 3400g?

Looking at buying my parts tonight , it has to be mini ITX

Attached: AMD-Ryzen-5-APU.png (660x660, 83K)

>As a devil's advocate though, they could very well release different versions for different specific needs. -.-

newegg. com/p/N82E16813144190

looks alright, there's not a lot of options really.

it doesn't have forward compatibility for PCIe 4.0 though, nor as many USB ports, nor as many M.2 slots, nor as good of support for memory, etc. etc.

from what I saw the new chipset will bring a lot more variability in form factors, so you'll have chance for a good itx packing the new chipset. I think asrock has a decent one though. or gigabyte, dunno.

Pretty much some less USB 3.1 ports, and no Xfire support. Some of the higher end B450 boards are better for OC'ing than a good amount of X470s due to VRMs

but that's actually the best part of it all. they unironically do
tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-amd-ryzen-3000-pcie-4.0-x470,39377.html
gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/news/amd-x470-current-gen-motherboards-might-get-pcie-4-0-upgrade-with-ryzen-3000-cpus-2040253
wccftech.com/gigabyte-bios-update-pcie-4-am4-motherboards-amd-ryzen-3000-cpus/

>At CES 2019, AMD confirmed to Tom's Hardware that 300- and 400-series AM4 motherboards could support PCIe 4.0. AMD will not lock the out feature; instead, it will be up to motherboard vendors to validate and qualify the faster standard on their motherboards on a case-by-case basis. Motherboard vendors that do support the feature will enable it through BIOS updates, but those updates will come at the discretion of the vendor. AMD also cautioned that most motherboard vendors might not bother supporting the faster interface on existing motherboards.

>While there’s support for PCIe Gen 4.0 on current motherboards, it is only possible with the AMD Ryzen 3000 series processors using the Zen 2 core architecture and even then, only the first PCIe x16 slot is said to be compatible with Gen 4.0 speeds as that operates over the CPU PCI-Express lanes while the rest of the slots would still function over the PCH which are only PCIe 3.0 compliant and we can also expect a single M.2 port to run at PCIe 4 speeds. That’ll mostly vary from board to board.
wanted to confirm it myself. I remembered reading about it being single slot and was meaning to double check it.

I was actually looking at this one before , looked promising. Thanks man

it just board vendor trying to sale the new shiny board

buy new motherboard goys

gigabyte makes a similar one if you like that brand more, it's silver/whiteish instead of black/red

the good b450's are better than the bad x470's
that's why I said it was very debatable, but also common sense.

Attached: xda4pmf92pw11.png (1069x1274, 163K)

I'm glad my MSI B350 board is going to be supported, that rumor scared me

i dont have any am4 socket motherboard so I guess I should just buy a X570 to future proof it?

mITX B550 when?!

Gigabyte is making space by removing support for Bristol Ridge.

So if I've got an R9 390 card from 2015, it could run at PCIE4.0 instead of 3.0?

OH NO NO NO THEY CAN'T BE DOING THIS TO US BROS

Attached: 1487912955305.jpg (633x758, 156K)

No because the card isn't PCI-E 4.0. You would need a newer card like the rx5700 that supports the 4th version of the standard. Pcie 3.0 bandwidth will probably never bottleneck that card so you're good.

kinda sucks I was waiting for the 3rd gen ryzen to upgrade from my 1700 but msi isn't supporting 3000 series chips on my mobo big rip probably be the last msi thing I buy because of this.

people like you need to get off the internet and go outside.

why I'm a news reporter

Is there any chance for B550 boards to support usb 3 2x2 or usb4 or is it all lost?

So far, x570 looks underwhelming, especially for mitx.

Attached: 1558193589458.jpg (400x478, 41K)

Supported, yes. But not really worth it. Most B350 boards already lose features and have lower clocks when using the 2000 series, it's only going to be worse with the 3000.

a 1gb flash modul should be able to hold enough. its yet again cheap jewish companies who are too fucking greedy to invest $.3 into their trash boards. just look at all these pathetic "heatsinks". they are just cheap plastic/aluminum covers. they trap the heat, not dissipate it. when you checked out mbs for too long like myself you start to really see how fucking low IQ these mongoloid chinks are with their design. they could have perfectly good performing boards and be cheaper to produce on top if they actually had a working brain.

bullshit. they can just tailor bioses around only supporting 1 cpu series, while still leaving the bioses for older generations up for download on their website. modern uefi bioses are way too fucking bloated anyway. and they are all so very ugly, holy shit.

mainboards from the x570 series will be 50-100 bucks more expansive than the x470 series. I hope you're ready

>midrange
>asus x470-pro
lmao.
youtu.be/osvm26W4e3M

Yep. And for whatever reason manufacturers are now cramming WiFi on almost every desktop board. Like, who the fuck wants WiFi on a desktop? Did they forget what the damn x1 slots are for?

>Like, who the fuck wants WiFi on a desktop?
a certain someone has to collect "intel"

are they even releasing B550s?
I was glad that I could just get a B450 but people were saying the PCIE 4.0 update will only affect the top 16 lanes

I have a MSI B450M Mortar. Hoping I will have no issues with Zen 2. Not too bothered about PCIE4 although it would be nice.

Noob here, correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand the ryzen "X" processors are the same as non-X with the only difference being that the out of the box clock speeds are higher? In other words a 2600 can be just as capable as a 2600X once overclocked with proper cooling, right?

>Bristol Ridge
Forgot these were a thing. Has anyone ever bought one?

yeah, the X version are for guaranteed higher stock and boost clocks but the non-X should reach what the X reaches
beyond that should be random binning

Yes but X chips are better samples.
We will see how important this is with 7nm.

yes but temps and power draw will be also higher if you OC them.
X works within the spec.

Aren't the X SKUs the only ones with XFR?

or make available for download a package with an editable configuration and let us build our binary, with a makefile style build system